Author Topic: Ceefax compilation track IDs and upgrades.  (Read 890 times)

malibuconvertible

Ceefax compilation track IDs and upgrades.
« on: September 20, 2024, 01:32:16 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some information on some tracks I haven't been able to find from a Ceefax compilation I downloaded in mp3 from I don't know where many years ago. I've scoured the internet, discogs etc for proper artist/track/source information and these are the tunes I still haven't been able to track down yet:
  • The Martinez Players - Impatience
  • The Martinez Players - Clear Choice (sax Rock)
  • The Martinez Players - Blowy Days
  • The Martinez Players - Baja Blue
  • Elegant Strings - Hidden Light
  • Whitson, Rogers, Day - Turn On The Light
  • Costy, Burns, Nilovic - In The Open (winter Winds)
  • The Strings Orchestra - Gibbsville

Here's a link to the tracks: hxxps://mega.nz/folder/eMolDQpI#28QTMvhON3TL9Ve3PLCpzA

And this is the artwork that was on the mp3s (in case anyone here remembers making the compilation!):

The only real mention of The Martinez Players I could find was this thread here from a couple of years ago where John_Fred states they're not the correct artist/title names, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the correct details for those or any of the other tracks above?

Thank you. :)

C201number2_1

Re: Ceefax compilation track IDs and upgrades.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 01:20:34 AM »
The only real mention of The Martinez Players I could find was this thread here from a couple of years ago where John_Fred states they're not the correct artist/title names, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the correct details for those or any of the other tracks above?

This is a big issue, in all truthfulness - the official term is "gibbs-ification", though I have no clue where that's from. I think Whitson/Rogers/Day is a Funtastik Music track, though, so I'll go through and see if I can't find that for you. Martinez Players, unfortunately, is a name that nobody knows the answer to atm

Lord Thames

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 02:13:12 AM »
'Impatience' - Martinez Players is actually 'Sunburned Hip' by Himiko Kikuchi discogs.com/release/4239020-Himiko-Kikuchi-Woman

'Hidden Light' is a Czechoslovakian radio recording, further details unknown (at the moment)

'In The Open' is 'Latin Mixture' by Rene Costy and The Strings Orchestra discogs.com/release/4056684-René-Costy-The-Strings-Orchestra-

'Gibbsville' is 'Honey Craker' by Rene Costy and The Strings Orchestra, as above

nidostar

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2024, 11:29:16 AM »
'Hidden Light' is a Czechoslovakian radio recording, further details unknown (at the moment)
I have Hidden Light down as aka Spiral by The Johnny Peters Orchestra. It's on Apple Music and sounds like the same track. Does that help?

EDIT: And Baja Blue Shazam tells me is San Delgado by Al Dickinson from Themes For Home Video #5 also on Apple Music. Again it sounds the same. Blowy Days Shazam says is Outward Bound by Alan Dickinson & Roderick Hancock. I haven't been able to find a version of it on-line to verify but appears to be from the Moments Music Library album MML003 Children's Moments.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2024, 01:08:52 PM by nidostar »

Lord Thames

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2024, 01:33:48 PM »
I have Hidden Light down as aka Spiral by The Johnny Peters Orchestra. It's on Apple Music and sounds like the same track. Does that help?

It's the same track, but the title, artist and composer are fake - or at the very least, not the actual people responsible!  More details about these Czechoslovakian radio tracks are gradually coming to light, thanks in part to a show on Radio Regina in Slovakia which plays archive recordings of the radio orchestras, and the odd one from Ceefax turns up every now and then.

There are strong similarities to Josef Vobruba and the Czechoslovak Radio Dance Orchestra's version of 'Prosty Lek', arranged by Vlastimil Hála, which makes me think there may be a connection there:

nidostar

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2024, 02:09:00 PM »
@malibuconvertible I think you may have downloaded the compilation from Slothy's Pigeonshit blog (https://slothyspigeonshit.blogspot.com/2010/03/ceefax.html). It's sadly been defunct since 2010. Maybe he's still out fixing his tractor (see his blog's comments)!

C201number2_1

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2024, 02:14:52 PM »
Blowy Days Shazam says is Outward Bound by Alan Dickinson & Roderick Hancock. I haven't been able to find a version of it on-line to verify but appears to be from the Moments Music Library album MML003 Children's Moments.

Here's Outward Bound - on YT, unfortunately, but if it's the right one, then it's the right one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqiBhBhXw0M

nidostar

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2024, 02:20:49 PM »
Blowy Days Shazam says is Outward Bound by Alan Dickinson & Roderick Hancock. I haven't been able to find a version of it on-line to verify but appears to be from the Moments Music Library album MML003 Children's Moments.

Here's Outward Bound - on YT, unfortunately, but if it's the right one, then it's the right one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqiBhBhXw0M
Yes I found that but it says the video is unavailable despite my using a VPN. However I've managed to find a 30s demo on the Qobuz US site and can confirm it is the same track. So another one ticked off the list!

malibuconvertible

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2024, 03:20:02 PM »
Thank you for the help so far everyone, this has been a really helpful start, I've already found several of the tracks suggested. :)

malibuconvertible

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2024, 09:01:52 AM »
Here's a few of what I've found so far (full albums), thanks again for the help. :)
I'll update this post with more as I find them.

• Children's Moments - hxxps://pixeldrain.com/u/J9hXMm6t
  • Johnny Peters Orchestra - Bright Orchestral - hxxps://pixeldrain.com/u/42iZMLQX
  • René Costy - The Strings Orchestra - hxxps://pixeldrain.com/u/oXDrf363
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 09:38:23 AM by malibuconvertible »

nidostar

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2024, 10:20:16 PM »
Here's a few of what I've found so far (full albums), thanks again for the help. :)
I'll update this post with more as I find them.

• Children's Moments - hxxps://pixeldrain.com/u/J9hXMm6t
  • Johnny Peters Orchestra - Bright Orchestral - hxxps://pixeldrain.com/u/42iZMLQX
  • René Costy - The Strings Orchestra - hxxps://pixeldrain.com/u/oXDrf363
Glad you were able to track these albums down. And thanks for sharing them with us. I was struck by the poor audio quality of Johnny Peters's track Spiral when compared to the lossy version that was originally on Slothy's website. I ran it through Lossless Audio Checker which reckons that all the tracks on that album have been upsampled. The same is true of Children's Moments so not true lossless, I'm afraid. Though the René Costy album is the genuine article.

malibuconvertible

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2024, 06:34:10 AM »
Darn it, well in that case I still need to keep them on my list, I did notice the quality of the Johnny Peters album and just put it down to a poor rip or something, thanks for the tech info!