Author Topic: ITV Nightscreen music  (Read 2237 times)

new970901

ITV Nightscreen music
« on: October 18, 2022, 01:06:26 AM »
Does anyone have the cue sheet for the Dustbowl Blues disc please?

John_Fred

Re: ITV Nightscreen music
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 07:30:45 AM »
The ITV equivalent to the over-night broadcasts put out by the BBC, (or something akin to it, at least), are a complete mystery to me.  I remember seeing the odd bit of, 'Job-finder', back in the late 80's, (the music of which I remember parts of), but the nightscreen broadcasts, sadly, passed me by.  That you have any information about this intrigues me, somewhat.  Maybe I'll look into this as a side project.  As fact as I'm aware, there are no cue sheets for this, (not from the TCC, at least.)  There's a few youtube channels/videos, of course, but I think that's the best you're going to get.  Unless, someone else knows better, of course. ;)

tonyc1971

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 10:59:44 PM »
I'm with John on this, I've seen nothing on the Nightscreen music nor any idea what they used.  That said, I can't remember ever tuning in.  The only reference I can barely remember was on TCC and it said the compilations were about 25-30 mins long and anything after this they were repeated.  However it was stored, suspect minidisc or DAT, it was repeated and no idea how many compilations there were.  I uploaded a JobFinder re-creation earlier in the year on You Tube whereby the music used was mostly from Cavendish, KPM and Bruton. 

Nightscreen is something I could look into when I've more time and have a look on YT.

Edit - In fact, the first one I looked at http$://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAcrRmKAq38&ab_channel=SuperLegendary
confirmed that the compilation repeated itself after around 28 mins and just a link to the BMG website and someone has listed the tracks used and are from the Beds and Beats label, so could be found on the website from there.  This comp is from 2021 so one of that later editions.  I remember it briefly as teletext pages following the demise of JobFinder.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 11:07:29 PM by tonyc1971 »

new970901

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 12:09:57 AM »
I'm with John on this, I've seen nothing on the Nightscreen music nor any idea what they used.  That said, I can't remember ever tuning in.  The only reference I can barely remember was on TCC and it said the compilations were about 25-30 mins long and anything after this they were repeated.  However it was stored, suspect minidisc or DAT, it was repeated and no idea how many compilations there were.  I uploaded a JobFinder re-creation earlier in the year on You Tube whereby the music used was mostly from Cavendish, KPM and Bruton. 

Nightscreen is something I could look into when I've more time and have a look on YT.

Edit - In fact, the first one I looked at http$://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAcrRmKAq38&ab_channel=SuperLegendary
confirmed that the compilation repeated itself after around 28 mins and just a link to the BMG website and someone has listed the tracks used and are from the Beds and Beats label, so could be found on the website from there.  This comp is from 2021 so one of that later editions.  I remember it briefly as teletext pages following the demise of JobFinder.

I must admit I’m not a fan of Nightscreen either, bar one or two rare tracks that were half decent. You mentioned something about the compilations being on DAT, could you please tell me if this was the method used by the BBC before they switched to minidisc in 1995

tonyc1971

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »
I can neither confirm or dismiss the DAT issue with the BBC as I've seen nothing about it.  I think they were a bit behind in terms of how their library music was presented.  I know Channel 4 used DAT's in the 90's.  Presumably better quality, digital format and in stereo ready for the nicam stereo broadcasts.  That said, it's a complete guess.  I'd say that the BBC went straight from tapes to minidiscs but someone may know more than I.  Then of course they went on hard drive servers.