Author Topic: An interesting image with some interesting info  (Read 292 times)

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

An interesting image with some interesting info
« on: March 25, 2024, 10:05:04 AM »
Here's an image of a library 78 that I found:

(Image credit: diguptheroots.com/tag/kfai/ )

Apparently, this is what looks like a bootleg library 78 (At least I think it is). This library 78 uses Bosworth's design for it's label, but puts "Mood And Background Music" and "General Records" instead of the usual "Bosworth Record" text on the 78. Not only that, but the label's colors are silver on blue, similar to what Bosworth did for their records since 1968. But it goes further than that. You might notice the "BH" letter code in the catalog number on the left, alongside the bottom text saying "Recorded By Boosey & Hawkes Ltd., London". This is actually a bootleg of a Boosey and Hawkes 78 from their pre-1940's catalog, with a copied Bosworth label design. Makes you wonder if there are any other bootleg library music records out there...
Peace, Love, and Library Music!

stackjackson

• Administrator
Re: An interesting image with some interesting info
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 12:31:25 PM »
Interesting find, WSBG. I wonder if Boosey & Hawkes did this themselves in house, repacking an older release?
| Stack |

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 10:53:40 PM »
I wonder if Boosey & Hawkes did this themselves in house, repacking an older release?

I kinda doubt that Boosey would re-issue one of their 30's 78s with this kind of label, because it would trample on Bosworth's copyright grounds and Boosey would get a lawsuit from that.
Peace, Love, and Library Music!

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 03:25:34 AM »
I kinda doubt that Boosey would re-issue one of their 30's 78s with this kind of label, because it would trample on Bosworth's copyright grounds and Boosey would get a lawsuit from that.

Ah yes, of course. Nevermind. I scanned your post too quickly and somehow lost Bosworth and read everything as Boosey.
| Stack |

KPMFan1000

• lg78
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 03:44:19 PM »
I wonder many more of these bootleg 78s there are...
LibraryGuy78