Author Topic: SpaceX loves library…  (Read 507 times)

kpmhill

SpaceX loves library…
« on: March 21, 2024, 03:31:56 AM »
SpaceX used 20 minutes of Library/easy listening music in their official video feed for last week's Starship launch. SpaceX library music starts here in the main video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5yupEUs4U&t=2782s

(Cued to library music – can't be cued with the YouTube BB code)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 03:56:21 AM by kpmhill »

kpmhill

Re: SpaceX loves library…
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 03:51:16 AM »
Tracks include Werner Tautz – "Caribbean Cruise"/KPM:
https://www.discogs.com/release/2205207-Various-The-Big-Screen

I found a link that claims to have all the SpaceX tracks, but it looks like some track names don't match, possibly due to alternate titles in different releases. And I can't find many of them, anywhere. A bit puzzling…

My Yacht's Bigger Than Yours - Werner Tautz
Tycoon With a View - Helmut Reinhardt
Sinful Nights - Werner Tautz
Snowing Down South - Werner Tautz
Catz n Kittenz - Werner Tautz
It's Raining Yen - Werner Tautz
Our Secret Cafe - Eric Hein

Quote from the YT poster: "Also, somebody tell me why these songs were next to impossible to find??? like where tf did spacex go to find half of these???🔥🔥🔥"

I can't find them either. The main one I'm interested in is:

It seems to be from Helmut Reinhardt, but I can't find it under its normal name "Tycoon with a View" (??)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 04:34:48 AM by kpmhill »

nidostar

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 10:23:02 AM »
They are all from the Extreme library and appear on the albums under the titles you have given. I've also provided the alternate titles.

My Yacht's Bigger Than Yours (aka Days With Jane) - Werner Tautz > XEL 043 Pleasureland track 5
Tycoon With a View (aka Floating Flowers) - Helmut Reinhardt > XEL 043 Pleasureland track 12
Sinful Nights (aka Sylvie) - Werner Tautz > XEL 040 Café Romantique 2 track 1
Snowing Down South (aka Club 18/Drummers Holiday/It's Liverpool Time) - Werner Tautz > XEL 021 Poolside Party track 6
Catz n Kittenz (aka Jet Set) - Werner Tautz > XEL 023 Jet Set track 12
It's Raining Yen (aka Sweet Bluebeat) - Werner Tautz > XEL 043 Pleasureland track 9
Our Secret Cafe (aka Sueno Feliz/Im Traum/Sogno Felice) - Eric Hein > XEL 043 Pleasureland track 8

And, as you say, Caribbean Cruise is from KPM, 1100 The Big Screen track 12 to be precise!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:42:23 AM by nidostar »

kpmhill

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 03:06:30 PM »
They are all from the Extreme library and appear on the albums under the titles you have given. I've also provided the alternate titles.

Awesome- thanks! How did you do that? I don’t understand what the Extreme Library is. It appears they do re-releases of vintage library, but I can’t identify what the original vintage library sources would be.

nidostar

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 03:53:29 PM »

Awesome- thanks! How did you do that? I don’t understand what the Extreme Library is. It appears they do re-releases of vintage library, but I can’t identify what the original vintage library sources would be.
Extreme Music is a library which you can find at <extrememusic.com>. If you go to the foot of their home page and select Labels,  then under All Labels click on The Retro Lounge it’ll show you all their albums in the XEL series. They are always adding new albums though the recordings themselves are mostly from the 70s (and 80s?).

The recordings were originally released by Brilliant Musik a library which was set up by Werner Tautz and Heinz Kiessling in 1964. I’m not so sure about the origins of the albums in the other series that Extreme feature. I presume they have acquired distribution rights to a number of other libraries’ works.

Coincidentally @testcard shared XEL 055 just this morning here:
https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=8182.msg56114#msg56114.

kpmhill

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 05:14:25 AM »
Extreme Music is a library which you can find at <extrememusic.com>. If you go to the foot of their home page and select Labels,  then under All Labels click on The Retro Lounge it’ll show you all their albums in the XEL series. They are always adding new albums though the recordings themselves are mostly from the 70s (and 80s?).

The recordings were originally released by Brilliant Musik a library which was set up by Werner Tautz and Heinz Kiessling in 1964. I’m not so sure about the origins of the albums in the other series that Extreme feature. I presume they have acquired distribution rights to a number of other libraries’ works.

Thanks for the tips! So it looks like SpaceX got several tracks from this album: https://www.extrememusic.com/albums/3308

It could be that many track titles were changed- maybe by Extreme Music. Certainly the track names given by the SpaceX references were mostly not coming up at Discogs. I'm more curious about Werner Tautz now.

nidostar

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 09:20:52 AM »

Thanks for the tips! So it looks like SpaceX got several tracks from this album: https://www.extrememusic.com/albums/3308
> Yes that's the one.

It could be that many track titles were changed- maybe by Extreme Music.
> Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for libraries to adopt different titles for music they acquire. Whether it was Extreme or the rights holder of the songs who changed the titles I don't know. I found the alternative titles for those songs on the GEMA (German) and SUISA (Swiss) performing rights websites whose databases are open to all. I find them to be a very valuable asset when researching song titles. Sadly the UK equivalent, PRS, only allows access to it's database for registered members.

Certainly the track names given by the SpaceX references were mostly not coming up at Discogs.
> Whilst Discogs is a handy reference tool it is not the definitive database one would hope for. If you look you'll see that only a handful of Extreme's XEL series albums have an entry. This could well be because entering data onto Discogs is a right pain in the neck. I started to enter some of my collection but gave up as I decided I had better things to do with my life. But don't rely on Discogs exclusively for individual song information.

kpmhill

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 04:32:58 AM »
> Yes that's the one.

Again, thanks for the info!

entering data onto Discogs is a right pain in the neck. I started to enter some of my collection but gave up as I decided I had better things to do with my life.

It was the same for me. I had some info that wasn't in Discogs, and I thought I'd contribute. But the process was so convoluted- I just stopped. I concluded that Discogs management had intentionally created a high barrier to entry, maybe because they wanted to weed out casual contributors who might add low-quality info. Honestly, I don't understand how they've been able to amass such an enormous database, while discouraging contributions.

Whilst Discogs is a handy reference tool it is not the definitive database one would hope for.

Agreed, but it's been so useful for me that I haven't looked much further. But now that you mention the GEMA and SUISA websites, I'm interested. I registered at GEMA, but didn't see where the generic search function was. The search box at the top of the basic page didn't work for the music searches I tried. Any hints for searching there?

nidostar

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 11:10:32 AM »
I'll PM you rather than get the forum bogged down in the detail.

lbjames

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 02:12:58 PM »
you guys can try enter info to this site if you want.....

productionmusic.fandom.com

kpmhill

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 06:37:06 AM »
you guys can try enter info to this site if you want.....

productionmusic.fandom.com

Interesting- thanks!

nidostar

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 09:37:43 AM »
Yes, I find that site very useful for album and track info. I seem to recall it's run by one of our members though they haven't posted in a while.