Author Topic: It's so lonely here. What's going on in here?!  (Read 1407 times)

Yohanes Salomo

• Yohanes Salomo
It's so lonely here. What's going on in here?!
« on: February 19, 2024, 05:03:56 AM »
Hello guys, i don't want to post this, but, why does this website seemed to be a little bit more lonely than it was used to be? Is it just me or everyone seemed to be busy somehow? :-\ :-\ :-\

Retronic

• Administrator
Re: It's so lonely here. What's going on in here?!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 07:32:17 AM »
You get quiet patches here and I find the weekends quieter- lots of people busy with stuff, family and kids but for me it's when I do have free time so I often hover around Saturdays and it's usually dead.
Another factor is I guess those collecting the vintage rips must have 90%+ what they want now in the quality they want so some probably only pop back sporadically.

Fuzi

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 09:11:32 AM »
There hasn't been a day without LMT since I joined!! I still need to unzip and listen to tons of music, and since I don't skip a track unless the music irritates me, I am careful not to request more than I can chew.

True, I haven't seen some friendly faces in a while, @Sub, @Baobab…

They're probably off to the pub
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

nidostar

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 09:58:19 AM »
As Retro says there are quiet patches and times when it gets busy. Much like a railway station! I visit LMT every day and do find that. Contrary to Retro though I feel there is more going on at weekends and evenings than during the week day. People have jobs. Apart from this exchange Monday mornings tend to be fairly quiet. But it does give me a chance to catch up with posts I might have missed.
But I agree with Retro that with the flurry of shares over the past year or so members have probably collected most of the albums that they are interested in. I still like to keep an eye out for any unusual or interesting albums but find I'm tending to share as many albums as I am downloading at the moment. I don't mind that at all. In a sense I see myself, possibly as others members do, as a custodian of a massive collection of library tracks which I am willing to share when I can to keep the music alive.

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 01:25:12 PM »
Quieter lately, I agree.
Regarding the reasons, almost everything has already been said. But after all, I think it's just something that goes in cycles, and we've already had moments like this.

Personally, I can say my interest has not waned, and also, I didn't get 95% of what I was looking for (I'll probably never rich that goal...) cause there are sooo many records I would like to listen to still.
But I'm between those who are struggling with time, with a new job that keep me busy from 6 am to 6 pm, 6 days a week...
Nothing worrying btw, cause I'll be always back regularly. So, as far as I'm concerned, the whole morale of the play is that a leopard can't change its spots!

ps - in addition, probably, the majority of demand over supply could be annoying to some...

G.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 02:10:28 PM »
Baobab, IIRC, has just stated being busy and will come back once things settled.

For me personally, I have what I was looking for since my criterias are pretty strict (see my signature). Eventually, "you've got it all".
To be honest, only two sources are interesting: Retromatic and the sporadic 90s disks. I am right now sitting on 3 Musi-Q disks that I requested from that Chinese collector but I haven't received the artwork yet so I do not want to publish them and 6 more albums I paid for and not being ripped yet. So I can give something back to fill up the "1990s and later" section with a comparibly niche label. But from the big players such as SONOTON, BRUTON, MUSIC HOUSE et cetera, everything's in my collection.

My friend at work collects LPs too and he said he felt the same at one point and it's weirdly difficult to change from "collecting" to "enjoying" and actually listen to the music.

For me, that music is so much worth that I try to find excuses as to why to go through my 1,200 tracks. Like tagging all of them with a Genre and maybe the main instruments so when I type in "saxophone" and "slap bass" I get only tracks with these..... ;)

As a side project, I also collect instrumentals of pop music or look for those rare 12" B-sides containing an Extended Instrumental of a freestyle track from 1984 and the likes. I can sink a whole day into that and maybe fish out one singular track..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 02:12:54 PM by Psyclon »

ChunYinZi

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 02:19:02 PM »
I think I'm at the top of the forums in terms of activity.

I check the forums every day via my cell phone or computer

It's just that lately people have been posting 'requests' for a lot of albums that I can't get to.

Also people post 'Track IDs' a lot of which I don't know the source of so I don't reply.

Also, I have a rule that if someone posts a title that requires a large number of albums, say 20 or more, I won't help them even if I can download them, but if they ask for 1 - 5, I'll be happy to help.

And then there are the CDs that cost money, which often have watermarks on the official demo.

On rare occasions, I've been known to share albums that I've purchased myself (except with friends).

So if someone sends me a private message to get something that I don't want to do, then I don't usually reply.

ChunYinZi

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 02:20:54 PM »
Baobab, IIRC, has just stated being busy and will come back once things settled.

For me personally, I have what I was looking for since my criterias are pretty strict (see my signature). Eventually, "you've got it all".
To be honest, only two sources are interesting: Retromatic and the sporadic 90s disks. I am right now sitting on 3 Musi-Q disks that I requested from that Chinese collector but I haven't received the artwork yet so I do not want to publish them and 6 more albums I paid for and not being ripped yet. So I can give something back to fill up the "1990s and later" section with a comparibly niche label. But from the big players such as SONOTON, BRUTON, MUSIC HOUSE et cetera, everything's in my collection.

My friend at work collects LPs too and he said he felt the same at one point and it's weirdly difficult to change from "collecting" to "enjoying" and actually listen to the music.

For me, that music is so much worth that I try to find excuses as to why to go through my 1,200 tracks. Like tagging all of them with a Genre and maybe the main instruments so when I type in "saxophone" and "slap bass" I get only tracks with these..... ;)

As a side project, I also collect instrumentals of pop music or look for those rare 12" B-sides containing an Extended Instrumental of a freestyle track from 1984 and the likes. I can sink a whole day into that and maybe fish out one singular track..

I also purchased 13 CD records from him, which will be delivered tomorrow.

One of them is an album that I really like, and it's out of production.

Focus Music-- FCD 106 Dramas & Themes

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 05:52:18 PM »
It is a healthy way of thinking. I do not blame the Musi-Q owner either; I take my time too with certain things :)

And boy, you sure did help us out. LMT was very heavy lopsided to vinyl records but you brought us great CD releases to balance things out and Retromatic with basically unaquirable libraries.

Yohanes Salomo

• Yohanes Salomo
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2024, 10:03:15 PM »
Ah! Thank god it's just me! Oh yeah, sometimes it might be busier than it was used to be, like what the heck?! And sometimes not. Thanks for the info! ;D

I also wanted to mentioned that i wanted a collection of Manchester Music Library (including its sublabels), Musi-Q, and even Ole Georg Music, which might seem to take a while. That's fine. I can just wait and be patient with that. Again, thanks for the info! ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 10:06:43 PM by Yohanes Salomo »

godzfire

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2024, 10:40:25 PM »
It happened when the forums went down and 2-3 years were lost. I have no idea how there weren't any backups done in that time but it was a catastrophic loss of information. I myself had spent nearly 2 days putting together an extensive guide and FAQ for the audio fingerprint GUI program so other people could start adding their collections which went up in smoke.

kpmhill

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 06:46:59 AM »
It happened when the forums went down and 2-3 years were lost.

I suspect that significant outages, also like the one we had at the beginning of this month, tend to discourage people. Especially when there's no channel to get an update on what's happening. I had a long thread & posted lots of 60s-70s organ albums/tracks that vanished with the big outage – incl. extra text info, photos, etc. I've started to reconstruct it by examining the files in my Mega account. I have to admit, there's a lingering fear that something bad might happen again, and this can affect my level of initiative.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 07:02:14 AM by kpmhill »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 02:22:54 PM »
Just a reminder for those interested in recovering their creative work on LMT -- most of these lost pages can be easily viewed using the wayback internet archives.
| Stack |

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 02:46:37 PM »
Yes, and Google had many of the pages cached. I pulled up lots of "forgotten" links by using
Code: [Select]
[search term] site:librarymusictheme.com and the results were available in the cache of Google.
This is not the case anymore either because Google is deleting them eventually (hence the term "cache") or they detect the site is actually responding to the URL and only displays the "view cached version of this page" when the LMT servers can't find the URL Google "knows" and reports a 404 back.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 03:20:45 PM »
This is not the case anymore ...

If I've learned anything over my six decades in this world, it's that all is impermanent. Prepare accordingly.
| Stack |