Author Topic: Anything like a music library radio station on the Internet?  (Read 262 times)

musica.incidental

Anything like a music library radio station on the Internet?
« on: February 09, 2024, 02:52:42 AM »
I confess that the way I most enjoy listening to music libraries is by leaving my current 444,764 tracks playing randomly, because this way you get a delicious cocktail of styles and eras. You can hear a sting for seconds and then a Mozart song which is followed by some hip hop and a horror theme continues. I have tried to make something similar to a radio station with this method, but for example by recording the tracks played randomly for an hour and uploading a video on YouTube, it almost always ends up being blocked due to the use of so many tracks from different music libraries. On my blog, however, I can upload these types of videos without copyright problems, but this way I get much fewer views, comments, and I would have to put title, author and name of the music library on each track to make something worthy and dynamic. Do you know if something like this exists?

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
Re: Anything like a music library radio station on the Internet?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 02:45:26 PM »
It would be a very big mess for many reasons.

Copyright is probably the worst offender. I mean, that we can use and enjoy library music is mostly that the libraries chase after royalties or license fees and not the single user who enjoys them at home - or in other words us. But broadcasting of any kind is the main reason for the existence of library music, so if libraries have a reason to demand money its for TV and radio usage.

Then the styles. Who want you to attract with your station? Hourly changes of style? Or a complete random mix per track basis? That would not work..

I'd suggest you to make a mix on your own in this forum's DYI section. There you can also promote the tracks, add information and people do not need to tune in into a station that plays a wild potpourri with a high "failure rate".

tonyc1971

Re: Anything like a music library radio station on the Internet?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 07:15:15 PM »
There isn't a radio station as such that I'm aware of, but here's a couple of pages to whet your appetite, both accompanied by teletext pages like the good old days...

TV Ark
This website has been going for years (on and off) and also has a teletext service called Spark.  There is library music playing in the background and info on tracks played are on P166.  You can also use the on-screen remote control to navigate around the service.
http$://tvark.org/spark

You Tube / Nathan Dane
Via YT, Nathan has recreated the Ceefax teletext service with his Raspberry Pi and via the link below, you can watch Ceefax In Vision with library music playing in the background.  They are mainly tracks from the Funtastik library which featured from early 2000's until Ceefax was switched off in 2012.  His website also goes into detail how he brought Ceefax back to life and his other audio and video interests.
http$://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3MuV1IeDf8&ab_channel=NathanDane --- Ceefax In Vision
http$://www.nathanmediaservices.co.uk/ceefax/  --- Fully functioning live Ceefax service with on-screen remote control
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 07:17:50 PM by tonyc1971 »