Author Topic: Library Music Lost Media  (Read 969 times)

KPMPK1001

Library Music Lost Media
« on: January 07, 2024, 03:41:25 PM »
About a couple of years ago, I was introduced to the subject of lost media. For those wondering, lost media refers to any piece of media (i.e. music, film, and books) that is considered impossible to find. Ever since then, I have been fascinated by the topic of lost media.

So that made me wonder, what pieces of library music are considered lost media?

One example I can think of is two KPM International albums KPM INT 05 & KPM INT 07. Currently, there is no information about both albums online.

Retronic

• Administrator
Re: Library Music Lost Media
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 04:08:31 PM »
Rouge RMS/LP 139 has never surfaced/ was never released.  It appears in a catalogue though.

Lord Thames

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 07:00:20 PM »
KPM INT 07 may be an LP by Syd Dale's New Elizabethans - the track Hampton Court was used as the signature tune for Radio 4's Woman's Hour, and the BBC paperwork says it was taken from KPM INT 07.

It's probably the same tracks as the 'A Sarabande Of Wives' LP, if this is correct.

BenKirb

• Discord Username: benkirb
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 11:36:05 PM »
Many of the tracks that were made for Pump Audio (a service of Getty Images) are lost media.
Make sure to join the Library Music Central Discord server!

discord.gg/DEENUVmpeZ

Cold Inhuman Element

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 04:26:09 PM »
There are at least ten Musax albums only issued as test pressings.
Two of those were reissued: Limonaire as Carousel - Merry-Go-Round (Crea Sound 8021) and Biorhythm / Fiction Scenes as Apocalypse (Magicabus 003), and the first track of Action 2 has been reissued in the Farfalla Records' Musax compilation.
The whole rest remains unavailable: a few test pressings were sold on Discogs but no viny rips popped out to my knowledge.
I am particularly interested by two albums: Catastrophe by Roger / Nardini and Impressions by Pierre Porte.
C.I.E. aka Alpha60

TheMusicalAvenger

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 10:40:26 PM »
One example I can think of is in the Impress Catalog. It shows us that multiple tape-exclusive songs in there are known to exist, but aren't available at any point today. One of these songs is called "Crescendo In Sex" and I feel like I need to hear what that would sound like.

BenKirb

• Discord Username: benkirb
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 01:02:27 AM »
Another piece of library music lost media I can think of is the original James & Aster library (not the Undercover library, Retromatic has that), which was presumably used by Prevue Guide.
Make sure to join the Library Music Central Discord server!

discord.gg/DEENUVmpeZ

apmnut

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 01:21:18 AM »
One "lost" library I've been wondering about is a "low-cost jazz library" put out by the NY company Musifex, who was the source for a whole pile of cues featured on some of Robert Hall's albums. A few squibs and ads they put out in Business Screen Magazine make mention of how this package offers such styles as "Jazz in the style of Tijuana Brass, Brubeck, Cal Tjader, Ramsey Lewis" and even "take a trip with psychedelic". I'm sure some of these cues were released on the Hall library, but since the library was released on tape, we may never know. (The Musifex library in particular is one I've been thinking about for a while thanks to their Robert Hall connection. I can't help but wonder if they had much more in their library than was featured in Hall's LPs that's never seen the light of day since the 60s or so.)

godzfire

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 10:35:42 PM »
About half of the Hollywood Film Music Library: https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=1597.0

It was founded in 1989 by Robert J. Walsh as Hollywood Film Music Library. In 1994 it was acquired by Zomba-owned FirstCom Music. In 1999, the label was rebranded and relaunched as Hollywood Music. In 2002, BMG purchased Zomba and merged to create the BMG Zomba Production Music. BMG Zomba Production Music was then sold to Universal Publishing Production Music, which Hollywood Music is still a part of.

As a result of the merger, all Hollywood Film Music Library releases were removed from Firstcom's website and discontinued, eliminating any digital options and further CD releases. That was over 20 years ago now, so all that's left was finding any physical copies people had over the years. Many of the CDs are 25-30 years ago. In the two decades since- and searching all over the world- all we've been able to locate is about half.

The chance became bleak when the founder Robert J. Walsh passed away unexpectedly in 2018. His studio and website was shut down a year or two later. This eliminated even the ability for us to contact him to ask or get permission for his work. Trying to go through Universal hasn't worked either, since it seems those HFML publishing rights ended 20 years ago with the merger, and they can't republish with Mr Walsh's death.