Author Topic: For those that transfer their music direct to PC/Laptop/Mac  (Read 1571 times)

The_Eleventh_Hour

For those that transfer their music direct to PC/Laptop/Mac
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
Hey Guys...

Looking for some help...

As i have recently got lots of 78's etc. And wanted to get them to the forum in the best quality ever, i thought it would be a wise move to get a new record player that allows me to record direct to the PC.
I have purchased an Ion Record Player and all is well, have adobe audition and all the relevant programs to do it, however i am having a little problem. Everytime i pick up the arm and the and the 'record spins' i seem to be picking up this annoying noise that seems to be coming from the actual record player, when the motor turns the player, thats the sound; it is earthed etc. So wondered if anyone else has this issue and if it was resolved, would you let me know :)

Thankies!

Your Pal Doug

Re: For those that transfer their music direct to PC/Laptop/Mac
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:00:35 PM »
Is there a place for a grounding wire?  The noise usually disappears when you ground the record player.
If not, check here
https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

ericmivalstoothbrush

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »
Could you describe the noise? Is it a hum? A static buzz? Pulsating? I assume it's the sound of the turntable motor itself?

Have you tried plugging the turntable into a different electrical outlet? Does it still sound noisy?

Is the noise at the same level despite turning the volume knob?

Is the cartridge in place and securely attached? No loose cables?

Does it hum/buzz only when the platter is spinning?

I believe a problem with USB turntables might be poor damping combined with less than stellar cartridges and not-that-great electronics/shielding...

The_Eleventh_Hour

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
It is definitely the sound of when the motor of the turntable is turning.
It is connected directly to the laptop with a USB, and the USB connection acts as the electrical supply, so i guess it is running its power from the Laptop.
The noise gets quieter when i turn the volume down, but it has no built in volume or speakers, again it is using the speakers from the laptop.
I do not see any loose cables and the cartridge seems to be in place.
It does indeed hum the moment the platter is spinning.

The_Eleventh_Hour

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »
Is there a place for a grounding wire?  The noise usually disappears when you ground the record player.
If not, check here
https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

It appears to be grounded. I can probably eliminate the sound via Audition, but just more work hrpmh lol

ericmivalstoothbrush

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »
DID YOU MANAGE TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM? Ooops, sorry. Caps lock!  :-[

As you say, you can always de-hum in Audition but getting a good sound to start with is always best.

apmnut

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 11:17:12 PM »
DID YOU MANAGE TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM? Ooops, sorry. Caps lock!  :-[

As you say, you can always de-hum in Audition but getting a good sound to start with is always best.

Wondering here, too.

The_Eleventh_Hour

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
Yup, all sorted, thanks. In process of recording them now, then will clean them up, and add for you guys here.