Author Topic: World Broadcasting System/The Big Sound - Full Albums  (Read 38 times)

NatetheDoofy

Howdy, Folks!

I've got some rarities to share. My good pal, apmnut, has been invaluable in my efforts in releasing/archiving the Robert Hall Productions albums. They've done extensive research on the label, and have discovered several ties between Robert Hall and other period production libraries. The World Broadcasting System, and The Big Sound, are some of these libraries.

WBS was a prolific production company founded in 1929, helming several recording studios and manufacturing 16'inch radio transcription discs. They also had a production library, being first released on 78's. Robert Hall pulled some of these ques for the earliest "New World" titles (mainly W 1-2 & W 3-4). There's very little from this library available online, so I made it a point to pick some of these up. This trio...wasn't in pristine condition, but they are good listens regardless. Enjoy!

World Broadcasting System

Disc D 36 -

Disc D 749 -

Disc D 767 -

The Big Sound was a sublabel of Stars International, founded by Richard P. Ullman. There's practically no info of this library I could trace (at least easily); it's possibly lesser known then Robert Hall. Listening to this 26-minute demo from Formatic Radio, another division of Richard Ullman (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ESWjSkluxfJ-HmfnuEGGaN1ak4N4wmXD/view?usp=sharing), reveals that Robert Hall also took ques from Ullman's libraries (W 250-251 in particualr). W 254-255's tracks originate from The Big Sound, and the SFX on this album, apmnut suspects, were used on W 500-501.

Richard Ullman - The Big Sound

FX-13 R/ Sound Effects-Auto Accessories

Google Drive Links -

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1r0QyxPVXJA8sz1JI5Ps0yKGhl9S_MhQY?usp=sharing

Also included in this folder is an Audio Fidelity SFX record, titled "Beware of Dog", which the seller of those WBS albums included in my order as a bonus; very generous of them! I didn't bother uploading it to my channel, since it's literally 30 minutes of the same 5 barking SFX remixed in every Stereo combination possible...but it's there in case you were curious. 

Through my Robert Hall hunt, I've grown more and more fascinated with library music in general. It's such a intriguing part of our history that...hasn't been well preserved. Obviously, my eyes are still set on Robert Hall Productions, but moving forward, expect to see me share other releases from other libraries. :)

Have a good one! 

« Last Edit: Today at 07:11:01 PM by NatetheDoofy »