Author Topic: Can you create your own vinyl on 3D printers?  (Read 288 times)

danthemusiclover

• DMG
Can you create your own vinyl on 3D printers?
« on: March 04, 2024, 01:18:53 PM »
The other day I had a very interesting reflection. And I, as a beginning collector, wonder if individual copies could be made just for home use. Because in the event that I want, for example, a record for 200 euros and I cannot buy it, I could select the files that are uploaded here and record them on a vinyl that has been printed on a 3D printer. Opinions? Do you think it is a good remedy?
LMT my safe place.

kebarvid

Re: Can you create your own vinyl on 3D printers?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 03:39:54 PM »
I think you'll have greater success just burning your own CD from your downloaded files.

danthemusiclover

• DMG
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 03:54:06 PM »
Yes, it's not the first time I've done it. Whenever I can I buy a stack of CD's to burn records that are shared here to listen to later on my diskman, it's amazing. But as long as you have it on vinyl, all the better. But when there are no resources, there is no choice but to do it this simple way.
LMT my safe place.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 11:36:03 AM »
I am sure you can print those with the right software, but the quality would be poor. Imagine the toys from the 1960s or 1970s with little plastic discs in there that played a little tune. Or the "talking cars" from the 1980s, they had like "Don't forget your keys" saying when you opened the door and it was just a very small plastic disk that had the voice recorded on. Works for a creepy voice, but for music not so much. It sounds "not hi-fi" to say the least. In general is the sound reproduction a surprisingly unsophisticated possible; I hard someone playing back voice from a plastic disk with a folded banknote.

So yes, you can can most likely do that, but no, you won't really enjoy it except you pay so much money that you can get an actual vinyl press I guess. Or a mix of everything above :)

danthemusiclover

• DMG
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 09:40:16 PM »
Thanks for your advice Psyclon. Now that I think about it, I prefer to save and increase my collection little by little. Although in urgent cases that I need a vinyl that is not for sale, the only thing I can do is download it (if it has been uploaded here) or through SoulSeek.
LMT my safe place.