Author Topic: CDM Music Library - CDM 48 - Overdrive (1997)  (Read 419 times)

hilbert

CDM Music Library - CDM 48 - Overdrive (1997)
« on: February 29, 2024, 06:47:41 PM »
Does anyone have this? FLAC or 320, whatever is available. Any of the early CDM releases would be appreciated, too. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ax-tUTkayg

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
Re: CDM Music Library - CDM 48 - Overdrive (1997)
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 07:20:16 PM »
CDM music is one of the few labels whose demo files are 320k MP3s :)

When you play back the files, they will downloaded in your PCs cache. If you are not as tech savy to grab them from there, I just prepared a little workaround:

The direct link to the demo files on their server and of that album is:

Code: [Select]
cdm-music.com/music_cdm/CDM048/CDM048_XX.mp3
Replace "XX" with the track title (e.g. 01, 02,...), such as:

cdm-music.com/music_cdm/CDM048/CDM048_02.mp3 for Track 02 ("Perfecto").

Please take care of possible underscores because I don't know about their internal naming scheme.

If you do that and access that link, it will open a bland player in your browser. Right-click into that player and it will offer you something like "Save to disk" or similar. Some browsers might download the file directly to your default download folder on your computer instead of attempting to play back. Also, accessing the site is rather slow today, so give it some time.

Just rinse and repeat down to track 25 and you have the disk directly from their site. I checked the spectrum: The files contain up to 20kHz and are true 320MP3s :)

EDIT: You said you want earlier stuff - and some of them is really good! - the same scheme works seemingly for all CDs.
Pick the CD number - some are discontinued, sometimes tracks are discontinued too (some CDs contain only 2 tracks; NICHION had these in the past but it's gone), referring to discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/label/732935-CDM-Music-Library?sort=year&sort_order=asc

For example INDUSTRIAL ADVENTURE is disk 06, so if you want that, you just access the album, but now it's "CDM006" obviously.

cdm-music.com/music_cdm/CDM006/CDM006_XX.mp3
It takes some time this way instead of getting fully prepared disks, but I had a good weekend browsing and adding track by track to my drive and discovering the music. Maybe some people have the disks, but if not, you have the solution of "DIY" :)

Also, maybe there is a script or a batch downloading process so you can feed whole lists of links to download, such as:

cdm-music.com/music_cdm/CDM048/CDM048_01.mp3
cdm-music.com/music_cdm/CDM048/CDM048_02.mp3
cdm-music.com/music_cdm/CDM048/CDM048_03.mp3

et cetera and let that script do its work. I think I have seen batch download command like this. That would speed up your process of getting whole disks by a lot.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 07:40:29 PM by Psyclon »

hilbert

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 08:27:34 PM »
That's very cool, Psyclon, and it works! Thanks a lot!

Fuzi

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 11:00:08 AM »
To download a list of files you can use:

wget -i list.txt

where list is a text file with a list of URLs to download (one on each line)

You'll have to call this script from the same directory where the text file is located
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

nidostar

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 11:36:10 AM »
Thank you @Psyclon for this tip.

Along similar lines I found that if you "play" a demo track on the universalproductionmusic.com site with the Bulk Media Downloader add-on in Firefox activated you will get the address for downloading the demo track in MP3. Depending on the file it can be a pretty poor bitrate as low as 112kbps and frequency capped at 16kHz. However if you change the "mp3" in the address to "mp4" you will be able to download an AAC file with improved quality and upper frequency just short of 20kHz.

For example change "https://stream.music.cdn.unippm.com/BV/BV152/Brand_New/BV_152_1_Brand_New_Hawkshaw_1601556.mp3?response-content-type=audio/mpeg" to "https://stream.music.cdn.unippm.com/BV/BV152/Brand_New/BV_152_1_Brand_New_Hawkshaw_1601556.mp4?response-content-type=audio/mpeg". It's a bit of a faff but if you are after a file that's proving difficult to track down this may be the solution.

hilbert

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 04:49:23 PM »
Downloaded lots of albums thanks to Psyclon's method yesterday. Badass! Thanks again!

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 05:10:17 PM »
First of all I am really glad it worked for you, Hilbert.
I actually wrote that post standing and leaning forwards on my laptop leaning forwards at my parents home kitchen countertop and my back started to ache :)
Funny though that on my laptop the files even buffered (MP3s buffering like it's 1998 again...) but on PC it was instant-download.

@Fuzi: wget is the tool that I meant Fuzi! Aaah!! And now since you called that name, I remembered it and have some hazy flashbacks to when I used it once...
I also think feeding jDownloader with literally a copy-pasted list might have worked too (that's how I grabbed NICHION demos back in the day).

@Nidostar: I heard about the "change suffix to WAV/MP4" tip I think pretty much after joining LMT - but I could never made it to work. I just thought, depending on their stock, that my albums were just not available in that format.

To be honest, I was afraid this solution might be too much "clickwork". But for being able to grab those albums at your own leisure whenever you feel like without anyone to bother with a request and as a last resort, I put this post up. If you click on the album art on the website (by looking up the album), you can get a higher resolution cover art btw (the same with De Wolfe's website). Pretty sneaky but great for tagging, if you don't want to use the poorly photographed Discogs artwork..

Also, you might have noticed that you will get redirected a lot when trying to access either tracks are albums that are discontinued. Hence I gave you the Discogs list because what's missing there is often missing on CDM too. Unfortunately, there are huge gaps in the CDM library, but with Slim Pezin and the usual culprits (known from the APRIL ORCHESTRA) and a distinctive, French synthesizer sounds, CDM is massively underrated. I think a considerable amount of their tracks is in my personal collection.

BTW and to my knowledge, apart from HIBOU (another French label. I see the connection there...:D), CDM is the only library out there that still has 320 kBit/s MP3 without watermarks to grab from your sofa without any kind of login. There used to be ATMOSPHERE CDs and KOKA in 320k via NICHION -> 128k after their restructuring process. BMG (mostly for their PARRY MUSIC CDs) was 256k -> 128k now for no reason.

I would not be surprised if you check CDM in future and they also downgraded their 320k demos, so be fast  8]

hilbert

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 05:39:33 PM »
Already grabbed everything I wanted to listen to and all albums are in 320 kBit/s which is good enough for me.