Author Topic: Selected Sound ST Series (Complete FLAC)  (Read 2060 times)

kebarvid

Selected Sound ST Series (Complete FLAC)
« on: December 14, 2023, 12:44:53 PM »
Early Christmas present to the community

Here is something i've been working on for quite some time. This is a complete collection of the whole Selected Sound ST-Series (also known as STEREO or Special-Program, i'm going to call it ST from here out) in FLAC 16bit / 44.1 kHz. They are all collected, cleaned, recorded, edited and tagged by me.

They have actually all been cleaned and recorded twice. First time i cleaned them all manually with a disco antistat record cleaner and recorded them on my "bedroom turntable". But i found out (unfortunately after i've recorded them all that many of them had distorted sound, so i decided to redo them all on my one of my Techincs 1210 mk2s. I also did get a ultra-sonic record cleaner before the second round so all records have been cleaned a second time with that. All records have been declicked with ClickRepair on a low automtic settings where i couldn't hear any false positive repairs on the small selection i've listened to. But all of these are done on somewhat of an assembly line and i haven't hade time to listen to them all. But if anything sounds wrong, i have all saved as unedited and declicked 24bit wavs, so i can compare with that.

There are also no guarantees that any record here will sound better than any FLAC or MP3 you already got, it's even likely that CD-rips of the later digitally recorded records will sound better than my rips. But if one sound good to you the rest should have a consistent sound all being recorded/edited and normalized to the same lavel.

With some help from a professional photographer friend i've also taken hi-res pictures of all front and back covers and labels, tried to clean up scratches marks, stickers and other stuff from the covers but not overdoing it.

I don't feel the need to list all 96 releases in text here you can probably get a feeling from the header image, and if you like more info you can it on the  dedicated page on the labels section here on LMT

I hope you will enjoy it: mega.nz/folder/vwonnCiY#lg9mY9TTzuGBJe4KlN4yCg

And if you don't know where to start here are some recomendations:

Boogie and beats in effective combination.

Movie soundtrack with a lot of flute and harmonica

To get you in the right christmas spirit

To make you forget snow and cold and get you dreming of summer (this is not the same rip as i've shared earlier)

To bring you to my native sweden for a while. (or atleast how a bunch of germans envision it)

One of a few great albums by Claude Larson

Nikki1958

Re: Selected Sound ST Series (Complete FLAC)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 01:42:44 PM »
Wow , that;s really a great Christmas present !!
Sadly i'm alone since 2 years so nice work to do during Christmas.

Ho ho ho Merry Xmas
Nikki

;D ;D

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 01:48:29 PM »
Wonderful share, kebarvid! And such a great label. Merry Christmas!!
| Stack |

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 02:27:10 PM »
This, right here, is one of these legendary posts on LMT. Retromatic brought us a few recently, then there is Impress in the other thread.
Like that time when there is a feast going on, and everyone is invited to bring an empty plate - and will leave with a bag full of good music.

This is the reason why the internet is such a great project. The generousity peaked today. All the albums are there, with proper titles and year of release added, presented on a silver platter. It's like being Charlie in a certain calorie-bomb factory. The dark times of "everyone for self", with trickling results (here is that LP, there is that release) is over when the whole thing is piled up together, almost like building a pyramid - futile at the beginning but tremendous success at the end. I just came from a 1-hour listening session and this thread came up. Makes me re-check this library once more.

EDIT: You mentioned that CD releases might sound better. But one of my favourite albums shows that your LP recordings sound better than the CD version LP series share that I received from the official libraries (no Soulseek share).
For example, ST185 - Big City Heat. Take my favourite track there, the name-giving "Big City Heat".

Now compare that file with this official release (the demo sounds the same except the lack of fidelity):
apmmusic.com/albums/SEL_SELLPS_0185

Now play back your LP recording. You hear the better stereo panning? The higher mid-frequencies? The overall better fidely? The loud drum on the right channel at second 4-5 that slowly fades into a reverb whilst on the official release it's almost not there? This is not only completely drowned in bass but barely audible due to some different mixing. Or maybe the bobs at APM just had no clue when they recorded their LP stock? I dunno. The snarling synth bass is clearly more nuanced on your LP recording than the WAV of APM. So your LP recordings might be an actual upgrade to the CD series and I just replace your LP recording over the official APM version! Also, the cover arts are worth it alone as tag-freak myself :)

"Nightcat" from the same album too. Much, much better what you offer us here than what comes from the official licensees!

Okay, my last edit. But man, this sounds SO F*CKING GOOD!! I sit here listen to the same tracks over and over as I rediscover the inaudible instruments, slap-bass hits and stereo panorama. This truly is a christmas present. When you can upgrade your already upgraded files both with better covers and the sound is so fantastic. I am still replacing my APM tracks with these and as I tag them, I noticed that LAME had to assign much more kBit/s to each of the now-MP3s as your LPs have obviously a higher frequency range and more nuances, less bass-drowned (and thus masked) content! Less drowned sound, less masked audio, the less LAME can "cheat" with the compression and needs additional juice for the MP3s to keep up :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 04:48:03 PM by Psyclon »

DrGiggles

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 08:48:06 PM »
wonderful, many thanks for this awesome work!
Brillant Library, Quadriga Library, Heinz Kiessling, Werner Tautz and Werner Twardy admirer

zach

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 11:35:09 PM »
wow what an undertaking, excellent work! some of my favourite library stuff is on the ST line, lots of great disco and funk on them. ripped a bunch of these myself in the olders days of the board. looking forward to grabbing some of the ones i missed on before. appreciate the high quality images too. thanks!

my personal favourites of the ST series:
115 & 130

106 & 113

Ice8

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 01:04:55 AM »
Many thanks kebarvid.

Marx900

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 02:54:45 AM »
Great work! Thanks kebarvid!

Bronic

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 03:36:23 AM »
Big thank you, kebarvid!

Theo

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 09:01:15 AM »
Fantastic, thank you!
Can't wait to listen and re-listen to all the albums there. I rarely comment, but your generosity and the effort you have put on this project demand it.
Indeed a Christmas gift,
Merry Christmas Kebarvid

gophrette power

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 11:27:36 AM »
Waooo... Really great work one this one.
Thanks a lot!!!

John_Fred

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 12:56:30 PM »
A wonderful contribution to this forum!  Putting out entire libraries are the quintessential is terms of quality when it comes to the LMT!  Not the mention those responsible for sharing them, of course!

There's more than a few upgrades and all gaps filled, thanks to kebarvid.  Fantastic!   ;)

grendizer1

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 07:06:38 PM »
Huge THANK YOU Kebarvid :)

kpmhill

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2023, 02:48:26 AM »
Wow.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 08:26:40 AM »
Amazing- what a project this has been.  It's so great to have them all in one place and consistently recorded and filed.  Thanks for the massive effort this will have taken and Merry Christmas!