Author Topic: Track IDs from NBA films  (Read 25694 times)

Craig-UK

• WCW Theme Database
Re: Track IDs from NBA films
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 02:11:29 AM »
the only one I recognise is #38 in the recordings (not sure if the videos match up) but it is "Grand Vista" from De Wolfe

JMTeixeira

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 09:15:41 PM »
Thanks a lot for your help guys. I should update the file list, as a few have already been identified, such as Rossini´s compositions as well as Andy Quin´s Grand Vista and, also, to keep it manageable and comfortable to a degree in case anyone wants to take a peep and help out. On another note, thanks for introducing Duprat´s as I am big fan of brazilian composers (Jobim, Veloso, etc...) but I had never catched anything on Duprat before.

#15 is indeed a cover of Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by an artist named Larry Parks (according to the end credits of the 1985 Return To Glory NBA film). This particular cover, however, could not be found online or otherwise, at least not yet.

Unknown #2 1980 Lakers sounds to me as being from Amphonic Music, late 70´s Dick Walter style.

Unknown Music #4 1981 Celtics sounds a lot like Johnny Pearson or Keith Mansfield "industrial type" compositions.

37) 1986 Celtics Yearbook might be from Parry Music, as most of the tracks used in that documentary are.

"Unknown Music #37.mp3" sound a lot like fashion style music from Match Music Library.

Also, one that is elusive and could be from Monkman is unknown music #13, #19 and #22 as I´ve been trying different versions in order to pick up any copyright claim, coming empty so far.

Unknown Music #31 probably not library music, it´s Najee/David Sanborn like.

Unknown Music #41 it´s probably from Firstcom circa 1987/88 discontinued albums, also used in ESPN Primetime highlights.

Obrigado and I´ll keep it updated.

JMTeixeira

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 12:52:16 AM »
Just updated the Mystery List folder in the original post by removing tracks already identified and adding new ones. Please give it a go, something might come up. Thank you.

JMTeixeira

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 11:32:09 PM »
Updated YT clips and Mystery List folder (see original post).

Please give it a whirl, we´ll see what happens... hope something pops up.

Tthank you!

JMTeixeira

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
Updated lists. I call upon a ESPN Primetime or sports library music expert to chime in, if necessary. Thanks!

JMTeixeira

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 03:24:07 PM »
Found another mystery track: John Rea & Alan Reekie - In The Ride, courtesy of YT user r r.

Also updated the Mystery List folder, please give it a listen, any of you.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/file/vfcp1awbtgc2uu1/Mystery_List_70_to_93_Music_NBA_Films.rar

Thank you!

JMTeixeira

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 04:27:41 PM »
Found another 2 mystery tracks, courtesy of YT user r r.

Richard Myhill - Heavy Duty (a)
Christian Leroux & Daniel Darras - Mega Wave

And updated the Mystery List folder, please give it a listen, thank you!

h__p://www.mediafire.com/file/179whz5mjxcjmcc/Mystery_List_70_to_93_Music_NBA_Films.rar

JMTeixeira

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
Original thread updated.

JMTeixeira

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 01:38:09 AM »
This might be probably thought of as such a long and annoying update. However, since I´ve just updated the Mystery List, I´d like to take the time to repost the file and add a few notes regarding each and every one of the tracks. Don´t take anything for granted, as I´m just expressing what I think regarding every track and its eventual origin. Anyway, these are as sought after as any, the thing here is, so far, I couldn´t grasp a copyright red flag on any, which is understandable if they are included in a discontinued album or, as is the case with every Music House Library track (as I think i´ve mentioned before) for example, that does not appear as or is not properly copyright flagged.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/file/2mccncubtbes1sc/Mystery_List_Music_NBA_Films.rar

Unknown #1 1980 Lakers - Probably from 1980 or the 2nd half of the 70´s, sounds Amphonic, however also KPM 1000 LP series. Its groove, rhythm and what appears to be moog (or synth?) makes me lean toward to the second option.

Unknown #2 1981 Celtics – Brass sounds a lot like Johnny Pearson-type of work from the late 70´s/early 80´s. Definitely KPM 1000 LP series.

Unknown #3 1983 Sixers – The beginning is quite similar to Rogerio Duprat´s “Theme Montage”, however not included in his only release under the KPM label (KPM 1071 Brazilian Suite, 1970). Quite interesting though is that the beginning and piano following are quite similar to Theme Montage nucleus, in the cymbals, beach-evocative, black and white Copacabana frame.

Unknown Music #4 – Piano background sounds also Johnny Pearson-like, not a Bruton though, but probably a KPM.

Unknown Music #6 – Basic and repetitive electronic beat, can´t really place which library this might come from. Track released at least in 1983.

Unknown Music #7 – Again, elecronic but also smooth and with a romantic touch. At least from 1983, can´t place this one either in a specific library.

Unknown Music #8 – Run and gun, a sort of After School Rock track, however, couldn´t dig this one up in any Network Music Library album available online.

Unknown Music #9 and #10 (same track) – Urban motion, at least from 1983, no clue on which library, probably from a discontinued album.

Unknown Music #11 – Released at least in 1987. I´ll quote what YT user and owner of xxx.primetimemusic.com web page Mvemjsunpx said about this particular track: “Unknown Song #9 is even more repetitive than #8.  It sets a similar mood to Communique (note: track from album Firstcom UT104 Powersurge), but has more of an energetic, "cool rock" feel.  This Colts/Bills highlight is the only one to use this track that I'm aware of." Used in 1987 NBA film Lakers “Drive For Five” and also in ESPN Primetime 1988 highlights on Bills @ Colts. My money would be on some of the FirstCom MT or UT discontinued albums from that period. 

Unknown Music #12, #13 and #14 (same track) – This is where it gets tricky. This track combines synth and guitar, as it was usual for Francis Monkman to play those instruments at the same time. In this regard, I´ve received feedback from YT user Ian Ward referring that this track was from Monkman and released in 1984. Well, this might be at least from 1983, as it was used consecutively in NBA films from 1983 to 1986. I´ve listened to the complete discography (at least what is available on line) from Monkman, i.e, the Bruton releases, Curved Air, Sky and 801, to no avail. Only missing Monkman´s 1981 solo album “Dweller On The Threshold” but aside from not available, probably a long shot. However, I´m inclined to accept that this might be from Monkman, by himself or composed as a joint venture. Whatever the case, this is also probably from a discontinued album.

Unknown Music #16 and #16.1 (same track) – Dancing boogie and synth, already tipped that this one was heard on several USA commercials in the early 80´s, not necessarily sport related. Heard in 1984 and 1986 NBA films.

Unknown Music #17 – With a war-like, snare drum background, sounds like a De Wolfe piece (Anthony Hobson?). Used only in 1992 NBA film.

Unknown Music #18 – This one has elements from Richard Myhill (The Heat) and Graham Preskett (Move The Metal). My money would be on Music House or Sonoton. Used in 1993 Bulls.

Unknown Music #19 – Excerpt from Chopin´s “Funeral March” which I curiously found (very similar, I might add) in the NCIS Los Angeles season 9, episode 21 beginning. Not sure which library released this piece or excerpt, though.

Unknown Music #20 and #20.1 (same track) – Also an elusive one, it´s fast and hard-like piano and brass makes it hard to label it to a specific library. Got a tip from YT user George Dickson that this was used in:

1983 USFL highlights – only source available is a YT playlist of USFL music beds, but this one is not in it.

1983 to 1985 Local Pontiac Dealer Commercials – only lead here while perusing every Pontiac Dealer commercial available on YT from that period gave me a track from OMG library, which turned out to be from Ole Georg Production Music. Unfortunately, their website doesn´t seem to have this piece available. Could be a Capitol release though.

1984 NBC Baseball Game Of The Week pregame show, segment on the Orioles and Pete Rose. No library music list or anything like that was found regarding the library themes used in NBC Baseball.

1986 Boston Celtics “Sweet Sixteen” NBA film – game 5 of the 1986 NBA finals segment – a more upbeat version than the one heard in 1984 NBC Baseball GOTW.

Unknown Music #21 – Sounds like a Rouge Music, David Hubbard or Douglas Hubbard track, but it´s not available online. Might be a vinyl edition of NFL Music Library. Used in 1987 Celtics “Home Of The Brave”.

Unknown Music #23 – Similar to a Jonathan Butler, Bruton Library type of track, however not among this composer credited work in the APM music site.

Unknown Music #25 and #29 – Probably from mid 80´s Parry Music Library album. Used in 1986 Celtics Yearbook and 1987 Celtics “Home Of The Brave”.

Unknown Music #26 and #26.1 – Most likely from a FirstCom discontinued album. Used in 1989 NBA films.

Unknown Music #28 and #28.1 – I´d bet this is from a 1992 Castle Music or Sonoton library album. From 1992 and 1993 NBA films.

Unknown Music #30 – Used in 1998 Bulls, sounds like an Atmosphere or ChappellAV late 90´s release.

Unknown Music #31 – I´m not sure this is library music, got a hold on every David Sanborn and Najee album available, but couldn´t find this one. From 1989 Come Fly With Me.

Unknown Music #33 – Used in 1992 NBA film, sounds like a De Wolfe atmospherical-type release.

Unknown Music #35 – Heard in 1989 NBA films, sounds like OmniMusic or NFL Films Library.

Unknown Music #37 – Sounds like a Match Music Library release, probably from a fashion/style themed album.

Unknown Music #38 – 1996 NBA films, my money would be on that this is a KOKA discontinued release. Mieg, Durbet, Leroux or Darras.

Unknown Music #41 – Light and celebrating theme, might be a KPM release. 1992 Bulls

Unknown Music #42 – 1992 Bulls, sounds a lot like it might be a Sonoton.

Unknown Music #43 – same as Unknown Music #42, very Gerhard Daum-like.

Unknown Music #44 – Probably from Atmosphere, Steve Everitt or even Sonoton. 1993 Bulls.

Unknown Music #45 – Not sure if this one is library, could be a track released specifically for documentaries. Full Force All-Stars? 1991 Michael Jordan´s Playground and 1992 The NBA Dream Team.

Unknown Music #46 – Probably from Atmosphere Music Library, travelogue, ethnic or atmospherical type. 1998 Bulls.

Unknown Music #47 – I´d bet this is a KOKA release. 1996 NBA Furious Finishes and 1997 Indy 500 Starting Grid.

Unknown Music #48 – Might be Music House, industrial sounds, used in 1991 NBA films.

Unknown Music #49 – 1993 Bulls, pretty sure is a Sonoton release.

Unknown Music #50 – Orchestral background very similar to Richard Myhill´s “Heavy Duty”. 1997 Bulls.

Unknown Music #51 – Suspenseful and dramatic, probably KOKA or Sonoton.

Unknown Music #52- Corporate feel, might be from Atmosphere Music Library.

Thanks in advance!

JMTeixeira

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »
Found another 3 NBA films mystery tracks:  ;D

Mark Hawkins - Wide World
Sam Spence - Deadline
Michael Conn - 4x4

Please give it a listen to either the YT videos or the mystery tracks folder list:

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/file/2mccncubtbes1sc/Mystery_List_Music_NBA_Films.rar

Thanks!

JMTeixeira

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
Just updated the original post with the YT clips by adding these below. Please let me know if you can identify any of these.

33) 1991 Bulls

34) 1991 Bulls

35) 1992 Bulls

36) 1992 Bulls

38) 1992 Bulls

40) 1996 Bulls

45) 1992 Bulls

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:49:45 PM by JMTeixeira »

JMTeixeira

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 04:40:48 PM »
Thread updated in the YT videos, the more recent from many different Chicago Bulls videos from the 90´s. Please give it a listen. Thank you.

billybatts

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »
#45 is called "Shine" by Phil Nicholas, it's in the Bruton production music library.

JMTeixeira

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »
Thank you billybatts, I´m sorry, I hadn't checked back in the LMT in a few weeks.  Awesome!. Please let me know if you are able to find anything else.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 03:59:13 PM by JMTeixeira »

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
It's been a while, but I had a little listen to these new ones.

These are mostly too late for me - I got one, though; 37 is "Going Home" by Steve Martin, from Match Music Library MAT 128 CD "Rock".
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:29:12 PM by Mr »