Author Topic: Zippyshare closing down  (Read 915 times)

kpmhill

Zippyshare closing down
« on: March 20, 2023, 10:53:11 PM »
"After almost 17 years online, file-hosting veteran Zippyshare will shut down at the end of the month. Founded in 2006, Zippyshare was known for its free, no-nonsense, no-frills approach to storing files online. Having changed very little over the years, Zippyshare's operators say the platform is now a dinosaur that costs too much to run in a world where ad-blocking is widespread."

https://torrentfreak.com/zippyshare-file-hosting-veteran-calls-it-quits-2006-2023-230320/

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
Re: Zippyshare closing down
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 06:39:46 AM »
As a German (who has been ditched just like UK customers) receiving a bland 503 Forbidden error: Good riddance.

Maybe "having changed little over the years" and "now [being] a dinosaur" could give these idiotic operators an idea, basically stating why they failed in one single sentence. I remember it to be super slow back in the day (around 2005-2010'ish) with constant nagging over the first KByte, sometimes being as slow as 7 or 8 KBytes while other hosters at least gave you 50 KBytes of "trial" speed before you purchased a download package. Let alone MEGA which was always extremely superior.

Right now, I have an active DDownload subscription that I paid for, maybe if Zippyshare would not be like that, I'd have an account there.

nidostar

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 06:55:47 AM »
As a German (who has been ditched just like UK customers) receiving a bland 503 Forbidden error: Good riddance.
I don't think it was Zippyshare that "ditched" you. It was a decision of your internet provider to blacklist them. As you say the same was true of the UK. I only use a BT connection so cannot say whether Zippyshare is accessible via other providers. In France there is no restriction and Zippyshare is accessible without any problem. But it is nothing that a VPN can't solve. That said it's all academic now.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 07:15:28 AM »
Yep, I used "hidemyass.com/proxy" to download Zippyshare from this place.
Anyways, it's confirmed that Zippyshare ditched three whole nations. I caught a rumor that they just didn't want to deal with certain laws out of lazyness and simply blocking whole countries - Spain too by the way. The ISPs are not at fault, it's a Zippyshare decision.

We are talking about whole countries (Germany/UK/Spain), especially developed Western countries that have a high demand for such services (I assume in Brazil or Argentina where many people don't have a PC or let alone the "need" to share files is very low compared to Europe) - of course you lose customers. Even ancient browsers like Internet Explorer does so since decades. Having 5 tabs open full of ads just by accessing Zippyshare - smells like virus infestation.

Locking out dozens of millions of customers from developed countries, having to rely on ad-revenue from pop-up ads that are killed off by browsers.. And whenever I read "Zippyshare", I didn't even click on it because I knew my 52 Mbyte download would take "4d 7h 23m" due to their ridiculously low speed. So I didn't even accessed ZS to even see the (blocked) pop-ups in the first place. Also remembered that my download stopped for no reason and I had to redo it completely after 2 or 3 hours of download speed limitations imposed by ZS. I never came back. I know they latest ZS downloads were kinda full-speed, but they lost me as customer over 1 decade ago, I paid lots for their competitors though which were jDownloader compatible. As said, pretty idiotic management over there and: Good riddance Zippyshare. You deserve to die.

Look at Patreon-funded Pixeldrain, having people max download speed but are "forced" to invest if the crowfunding does not work or being slowed to a crawl. And not 5 "You've won a BMW" pop-ups. There you can see where newcommers and dinosaurs clash - and which share hoster thrives and which dies...

EDITS: Added that Spain is another blocked country the same time UK and German got hit and also that the ISPs are confirmed not to be at fault (for once) Also, I had a factual mistake in my post.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:57:51 AM by Psyclon »

kpmhill

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 07:46:02 AM »
Zippyshare is not closing just in a few countries… It's shutting down completely.

I can still access it & log in from the US. but there's a big red banner at the top: "We plan to shut down the site at the end of the month. Backup all you [sic] important files. More information is available on our blog"

They have a blog post about it here:
http://blog.zippyshare.com/?p=1211

cliquid

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 08:33:48 AM »
Oh wow. I can't say I use it that much, but I do still find the odd file on there that somebody uploaded years ago and it's not available anywhere else. Perhaps I should have paid more attention, taken the time and uploaded those files elsewhere for other people, but I guess it's too late now. RIPZippyshare

neowave

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 09:05:46 PM »
RIP ZIPPY, about 13 years with zippy.