Author Topic: Le Orme (1972-75) X 4  (Read 3236 times)

likedeeler

Re: Le Orme (1972-75) X 4
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2023, 02:17:29 PM »
... Apple Music is not the best or most efficient way of indexing and filtering files. I have searched everywhere for a decent alternative but without much luck. I used to use MonkeyMedia when I had a PC and was somewhat disappointed when I moved over to iTunes almost 14 years ago. It’s even worse now that I have 200k+ tracks ...

It's been more than ten years since I last ran Itunes. Back then it was one of the most useless pieces of commercial software I'd ever come across. Perhaps not much has changed. Itunes couldn't really cope with a larger music collection, and at one point it decided to strip the metadata from a lot of tracks. At which point it had to go.

After that I went through several music players and eventually stuck with foobar2000. On Windows no other player comes even close. Foobar handles several 100k tracks without problem, and snappy. The only thing one could hold against it is that it has a bit of a learning curve and needs some configuration. Once this is done though, Foobar becomes quite impressive.

Have you tried out Foobar for Mac? I don't know how they compare, but if the Mac version is halfway similar to the Windows client it will be rather good.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:34:06 AM by likedeeler »

Fuzi

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2023, 07:07:07 AM »
I tried Fuzi, and the two results are exactly the same.

That's great news Greta, thank you so much for helping out!
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

kpmhill

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2023, 07:12:56 AM »
[Apple Music is not the best or most efficient way of indexing and filtering files. I have searched everywhere for a decent alternative but without much luck.

If you've "searched everywhere" and can't find a decent alternative to iTunes/Apple Music, you may have arrived at the best option for your needs.

nidostar

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2023, 03:02:45 PM »
It's been more than ten years since I last ran Itunes. Back then it was one of the most useless pieces of commercial software I'd ever come across. Perhaps not much has changed. Itunes couldn't really cope with a larger music collection, and at one point it decided to strip the metadata from a lot of tracks. At which point it had to go.

After that I went through several music players and eventually stuck with foobar2000. On Windows no other player comes even close. Foobar handles several 100k tracks without problem, and snappy. The only thing one could hold against it is that it has a bit of a learning curve and needs some configuration. Once this is done though, Foobar becomes quite impressive.

Have you tried out Foobar for Mac? I don't know how they compare, but if the Mac version is halfway similar to the Windows client it will be rather good.
Thanks for the tip likedeeler. I may have tried Foobar along with a number of other similar apps (including one with the logo of an orange?) when I first got my Mac. Though that was 14 years ago and none of them bettered iTunes at the time while some of them were unstable and constantly crashed. But times have moved on so I'll give Foobar a go.

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2023, 03:34:06 PM »
That with a orange logo could be Clementine:

https://www.clementine-player.org/

I never tried it.
G.