Author Topic: [Sonoton] - Claude Larson - Remastered Releases  (Read 3691 times)

tonyc1971

Re: [Sonoton] - Claude Larson - Remastered Releases
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 06:33:52 PM »
To be honest, when Chun and others have shared WAV files in the past.  I've edited them by tidying up the track names, titles, artists, year, genres etc and even add a picture and then save as a FLAC.

kosmiksoul

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 08:13:43 PM »
Thank you so much!
I also prefer FLAC to WAV, but it's ok.
If it's so easy to get the tracks from the sites, it would be great to know how to do it.
For me it's enough to be able to download high quality mp3.
There are many things waiting to be downloaded.
Have a great weekend!

OrganGrinder

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2023, 08:50:14 AM »
unfortunately links are dead. Could someone kindly re-up? thanks in advance

Fuzi

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023, 12:48:07 PM »
Hi OG, here are the 6 X Sonoton shared by ChunYinZi
WAV: pixeldr@in.com/u/JuWowhd2

Thanks to him ;D
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

OrganGrinder

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2023, 03:00:14 PM »
A big thank You and thanks ChunYinZi

likedeeler

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 11:57:11 AM »
About this issue

I have two answers

1 I am a firm WAVist and I always think that WAV is the best sound quality in lossless

2 convert WAV to FLAC will make its sound quality loss because I do not have a special software, strictly speaking, you need to adjust the parameters of the output FLAC to be better

To sum up, I always share WAV

... WAV files are undoubtedly lossless. ...

That is actually untrue. WAV is a container format that can hold all sorts of encodings, including, for example, MP3.

The WAV superstition will not die it seems. Amazing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 12:24:10 PM by likedeeler »

nidostar

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2023, 12:40:11 PM »
I'm not sure I follow. I was referring to the format rather than the quality of the content. The WAV =format= is lossless. If you are saying that it is possible to incorporate poor quality audio into a WAV file then I agree. But then we're back to the original issue of lossy files masquerading as FLACs or whatever. At the end of the day the quality of the sound is only as good as the recorded source. Rubbish in rubbish out.

likedeeler

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2023, 07:26:45 PM »
... The WAV =format= is lossless. If you are saying that it is possible to incorporate poor quality audio into a WAV file then I agree. But then we're back to the original issue of lossy files masquerading as FLACs ...

No, I wasn't referring to sound quality or transcoded MP3.

The WAV file format is neither lossless nor lossy. Stop thinking about WAV as an audio encoding.

Let me reiterate to be clear: WAV -- as opposed to FLAC, MP3, PCM or Vorbis -- is not an encoding. It is a container for encoded data. PCM is most frequently to be found inside a WAV file, but you can put MP3-encoded data into it as well, and directly, not as a transcode. If you unpack such a WAV file you'll get an MP3 file, because that's the actual content of the WAV file in this case.

To cite the pertinent Wikipedia article: "Audio in WAV files can be encoded in a variety of audio coding formats, such as GSM or MP3, to reduce the file size."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 09:06:51 PM by likedeeler »

likedeeler

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2023, 08:37:45 PM »
By the way, as a general remark about these Larson releases (thanks for the up and reup!):

The metadata comments state "Authentic vintage vinyl recording", so -- if I understand the claim correctly -- these files have apparently been ripped from vinyl by APM. They were not produced from master tapes. Isn't that curious?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 08:40:47 PM by likedeeler »

nidostar

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2023, 10:15:16 PM »
I realise we all appear to be trying to achieve perfection in these and other recordings on LMT but at the end of the day it comes down to whether we enjoy what we are listening to be it FLAC, WAV or MP3.

kpmhill

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 03:43:52 AM »
The metadata comments state "Authentic vintage vinyl recording", so -- if I understand the claim correctly -- these files have apparently been ripped from vinyl by APM. They were not produced from master tapes. Isn't that curious?

That would make no sense for remasters. Looking at the Sonoton web site, one sees … e.g. for "Plantlife":

"Authentic digital vintage stereo recordings, previously released in the legendary SONOTON Vinyl LP Series (1981); plus newly remastered versions (2021)."

The album listing shows two sequences of tracks. The first sequence contains remastered versions. The second sequence contains the "authentic vintage vinyl recording."

https://www.sonoton.com/en/album/SONV0192

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 03:45:50 AM by kpmhill »

scotch111

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2023, 05:24:23 AM »
Would it be possible to re upload SONV 247 - Soundscapes vol. 2? Thanks in advance!

GradyTate

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2023, 11:47:07 PM »
Here is 247
pixeldrain.com/u/PGqW7yaZ

scotch111

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2023, 12:05:49 AM »
Here is 247
pixeldrain.com/u/PGqW7yaZ

Thanks Mr Tate

Kamall

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2023, 05:07:13 PM »
Would it be possible to re upload SONV 227 - Soundscapes vol. 1? Thanks in advance! :)