Author Topic: Many Library Vinyl Collectors out there?  (Read 2323 times)

Retronic

• Administrator
Many Library Vinyl Collectors out there?
« on: January 11, 2023, 07:54:45 PM »
I know some of us only collect files while others collect records and I'm interested who the vinyl collectors are.  I also have a big pile of spares so up for trades.   I myself have collected library on vinyl from day one and amassed a good stack over the past 25+ years, first chasing both the records with the loungecore sound as well as looking for drama stuff from TV shows I loved. 
After a couple of decent hauls I found myself falling into completist territory.  I think I have the collector trait anyway and a few times I've gotten so many from one label I've ended up wanting to get the full set.  Even though on a typical label for every great LP there are a load of crap ones but having a full run is so great when searching for tracks.   I like the analogue aspects- I was watching an old 70's film the other day and it was pretty easy to find the tracks; having the LPs with the descriptions all in front of me and just dropping the needle on it makes finding tracks easier than flicking through 100's of audio files for me.

I still have a lot of stuff I want but prices have rocketed and bargains aren't what they used to be.

Upgrade

Re: Many Library Vinyl Collectors out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 05:30:40 AM »
Mostly the 78s for me, which regrettably are even less documented by library music standards.

Though each of the physical library music formats has some unusual drawback that makes them hard to listen to: the LPs tend to have locked grooves so you can’t sit back and relax, the reel to reel tapes have beeping at the beginning of each track, the CDs usually have multiple variants of each track with the most annoying ones playing one after another before moving on.

Though I’m aware that some modern labels supply physical hard drives.

All in all it goes to show their utilitarian purpose and if they aren’t documented and uploaded, they are basically lost until someone else picks them up.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 08:24:39 AM »
I know I am exactly the opposite of what who you are adressing since I am collecting files only, but Upgrade brought up good points and I wish to add some off-topic from a digital-only member. Because one of my workmate is also collecting records and I often ask him about the appeal. Not in this way of "Eww, why would you do that, I don't get it?!" manner but more out of fascination. I purchased a KPM CD for ChunYinZi's friend and shipped it to China recently, and it was a strange "feel" as I bought it from Discogs. The whole "physical media thing" about it. It's not some myth about some freaky dudes and dudettes sticking to the past (heck, I am often called weird for storing my music locally instead of just giving into the mediocrity of streaming services), but it was that feel of "being mine". I put it into the BluRay player and hearing the disk spinning up, the TOC being read and then displayed a long tracklist was like a waiter handing me the menu what audio treat I want today.. After testing a few tracks, I ejected the disc, it slew down and it was released from the device almost like handing over some special gift.

Now owning a whole library must feel absolutely fantastic, and if I would not be a digital native I'd consider to grow a library again - even if it's a hybrid of having digital files and only hunt my favourite albums as physical media. I'd actually like to see photos of people's shelves, boxed or even closets full of disks, tapes, record sleeves. Just like in a real library, you pull out a disc you have kind of forgotten and get reminded what treasure you have in your possession. And while that happens to me too - all my cover arts neatly displayed and even I discovered two tracks yesterday that I felt like I heard the first time when VLC selected it from the Shuffle mode - it must be a much more feeling of value. Strange enough, I despise reading PDFs or shudder at eBook readers. My local copyshop made over 200€ the last few years for me printing there because I want to have physical media - paper. :D

But Upgrade brought up all the reasons why I am glad I don't collect physical media. I grew up with CDs and CCs and while it is certainly a bad habit to not immediately take care of the disks until they are lost (how many "lost" discs did we find behind my furniture when I moved out) or scratched. The same with pulling out a jewel case from my CD stand (you know, these things everyone in the 90s had) just to find it's being empty. Is it in the car? Is it in the stereo? Or has my brother taken it to the gym? Ugh. The permament danger of damage - might it be by usage or by environment - would drive me nuts. And the way of easy editing makes files neat: How to remove the "...track one....", "...track two..." from a record? Is it Parry Music which had this thick Australian accent voice announcing the change of tracks?

So after all, I am glad that I have my perfectly categorized MP3 collection here. I can duplicate them when needed, no "lending" or "where is it?" because I just grab my backup hard disk and retrieve it or copy it if a friend wants it. Entering "Match" yields 20+ MATCH MUSIC records, entering "Jimmy Kaleth" gets me cross-label results. Only want to listen to a potpourri of tracks fromt the early 80s - no problem, my media player takes care of it. No need for long catalogues or going back and forth rows of shelves to find the record I want. No old, deformed rubber belts to change to prevent wow and flutter, no heads and lenses to clean, no humidity that damages magnetic tapes and sleeves, no glue that can dissolve and ruin compact discs and a mistake is not permanently damaging and thus ruining my rare music media.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 08:57:39 AM by Psyclon »

kebarvid

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »
I've been collecting vinyl for 20+ years (historically mostly hip-hop).

Got into library music around 2 years ago and since then my buying rate is at an all time high. Wish i found library music earlier since a lot of the stuff i want looks much pricier now then a couple of years ago.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 11:12:01 AM »
Psyclon, I enjoy all medias and would never go 'vinyl only' for many of the reasons you said.  Just the search engine alone is a phenomenal gift and makes finding tracks so quick.  I was an early digital adopter and saw in the attic the other day a stack of old Mini Discs (pre-CD becoming big) of library compilations that I listened to walking to work back in the 90's! 
I still listen to stuff on the go on a little  digital player but recently doing some DJ sets and having to sort records out to take has highlighted a plus about the physical media- I have a bad memory and bad eyesight and when tracks pop up on a small screen they stay kind of anonymous with me often not being able to name a track or say what label it's on, because they all look the same (even if you have artwork on - which I don't for all).  I find handling the record and selecting the track sort of imprints more info in your brain to recollect when trying to find a track.  Before it was one of maybe 60,000 on a digital player but now I can remember where it is on the shelf, the label or cover, the name, etc   Similarly when ripping records typing in the name of the track is better than cutting and pasting as again it imprints more in my memory.
At this current time I am so enjoying pulling off random records and searching for great tracks I'd missed or forgotten about.

Kerbarvid- what labels are you into collecting? Mine are predominantly UK but with good spatterings of international stuff other than the Italian stuff which feels like I darent' start as so much good (and expensive stuff).

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 12:29:37 PM »
Most library music records I collect are 78s, but I also collect LPs too, mostly the 10 inch ones, but I collect regular LPs on some occasions as well.
Peace, Love, and Library Music!

kebarvid

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 01:45:23 PM »
Kerbarvid- what labels are you into collecting? Mine are predominantly UK but with good spatterings of international stuff other than the Italian stuff which feels like I darent' start as so much good (and expensive stuff).

Mostly french labels. Montparnasse is the one i have most from (only missing a handfull of releases), also got quite a few Tele Music and Neuilly. And way past half of the Selected Sound 9000-series. Like a lot from the UK labels also but the big ones KPM, Chappell, De Wolfe have so many releases that it scares me off a bit. I'm somewhat of a completist so it feels dangerous :P Would love to have a full set of Brutons though cause they look so nice in the shelves.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 01:48:32 PM »
... I'd actually like to see photos of people's shelves, boxed or even closets full of disks, tapes, record sleeves. Just like in a real library, you pull out a disc you have kind of forgotten and get reminded what treasure you have in your possession...

Follow this old thread, you'll see some of those photos ;)

https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=798.15
| Stack |

KPMFan1000

• lg78
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 08:20:12 PM »
I recently got a Paxton and a FDH 78, but i cant play with them because the average vinyl record player doesnt come with a 78rpm needle, im gonna start collecting LPs and ive been collecting CDs since May. Most physical library music media seems to be very expensive nowadays and i dont like it. I found a JW Media Music Cheesy Listening CD fro 150 dollars. That doesnt even count the shipping. And look at most Themes International LPs, im not really a follower of themes international, but it is a bit much, and dont even get me started with the NFL Music Library. I'm trying to get a hold of all of the first 8 Atmosphere Archive CDs due to the fact that they arent on UPM (And of course Nichion), but at least the atmosphere archive cds are most of the time cheap, well most of the time.
LibraryGuy78

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 08:27:17 PM »
... I'd actually like to see photos of people's shelves, boxed or even closets full of disks, tapes, record sleeves. Just like in a real library, you pull out a disc you have kind of forgotten and get reminded what treasure you have in your possession...

Follow this old thread, you'll see some of those photos ;)

https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=798.15

And this really gets my collector's itch going, but the ship has left the harbour in that matter for me.
Especially cool when the sleeves are coloured and form a nice ensemble, giving it a great feel of completion and thus satisfaction!

EDIT: Oh my gosh, one of my favourite albums is squeezed in one of your images: Michael Schremmer Band's BIG CITY HEAT! Heh!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 08:43:07 PM by Psyclon »

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 08:40:18 PM »
I have a fair few of those Atmosphere CDs.  I’ve shared some before but have a couple more now if you need some.

KPMFan1000

• lg78
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 09:18:29 PM »
I have a fair few of those Atmosphere CDs.  I’ve shared some before but have a couple more now if you need some.
Yes i would like that. That would be good.
LibraryGuy78

[(Sub)]

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 03:42:14 AM »
I'm a bit completist too and It's not always good for finances
The price of Library LP only went up! Discog indirectly helped set prices on everything,
which indirectly condemns us to refer to it, and it's a shame
Fortunately we can satiate our ears with the sharing of each of our rip as is the case on this forum ;)

digdeeper

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 04:30:58 PM »
I started researching music in earnest in 2007, disco and funk were my first points of contact, and I still love them, but pretty soon I knew that my main interest is in the easier sounds of that era, so from 2008 I've been researching lighter sounds often with a jazzy or Brazilian touch, mostly from film music, but also library music. I somehow knew there was a certain sweet sound to be found out there (don't ask me why), which I first heard when I stumbled upon the Sound Gallery album. From 2012 onwards I have been posting more obscure stuff that hadn't been available on YouTube to my Easy Sounds channel. The most under-preserved part of this sound must be the TV scores and music for commercials and jingles that for the most part never got issued commercially. The fascinating part of this has been the archeological, 'detective' aspect of it, digging for forgotten sounds and dragging them back from the precipice of obscurity, and you can never dig deep enough, hence my motto "dig deeper"  ;).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 04:32:48 PM by digdeeper »

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 04:39:08 PM »