Author Topic: Why do some publishers of library music series only publish records?  (Read 911 times)

testcard

discogs.com/

I see a lot of library music on this website are only records. Why didn't the publisher publish digital audio? Digital audio is convenient to spread and save, and also conducive to sales; Many people don't have special record playing equipment, and this hardware condition restricts many library music lovers.
Even from the publisher's own commercial interests, digital audio should be produced! Why didn't these publishers do it?

Can you tell us something about it?  thank you !

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 02:49:53 PM by testcard »
English is not my mother tongue, so there are often mistakes in writing. Please forgive me. I will try to improve.

tonyc1971

Re: Why do some publishers of library music series only publish records?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 03:26:36 PM »
Hi Testcard

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this but I'll reply with what I believe you are requesting...

All the Discog entries you refer to as vinyl releases are from those Discog members that have had the vinyl and shared the track listings, composers, label, catalogue, year and photo of the sleeve.  The entries are not provided by the original library albums publishers.  These entries on the website are from likeminded people on here providing information for other members seeking long lost library albums.  These will relate to anything vinyl, but not exclusively.  Many will also feature CD releases.  At the bottom of some listings, it may provide alternative or re-release versions.  So, for example, JW Media released vinyl albums under the Impress, Josef Weinberger and Programme Music labels.  So some releases on Impress may well have been re-released years later under Josef Weinberger, again as vinyl.

To add, most libraries did not re-release their vinyl as a CD so many were never available on other formats for download/audition.  Those that did released them with albums that contained tracks missing, some added from other albums and even a different album title.  Some libraries now have their original vinyl and cd's on their websites to download as either MP3 or in lossless format.   However, the majority of those older more obscure libraries have been lost in time and have not re-appeared on larger music distributors such as APM etc that provide dozens of library music labels.  So, again using Josef Weinberger or KPM as an example, the majority of their original vinyl albums were then uploaded to the distributors website (APM as an example).  Some as originals from the master tapes, some tracks re-mastered.  At the time of vinyl and CD releases, there wasn't a digital format or website to upload their material too.

Going back to Discogs, the users on that site will then not list those albums that are only available on the music publishers websites that are not available in physical form and only available for audition / download.

Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say on this and feel free to add anything else to this as I'm sure other members will have differing opinions.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 03:30:24 PM by tonyc1971 »

testcard

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 03:50:36 PM »
Hi Testcard

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this but I'll reply with what I believe you are requesting...

All the Discog entries you refer to as vinyl releases are from those Discog members that have had the vinyl and shared the track listings, composers, label, catalogue, year and photo of the sleeve.  The entries are not provided by the original library albums publishers.  These entries on the website are from likeminded people on here providing information for other members seeking long lost library albums.  These will relate to anything vinyl, but not exclusively.  Many will also feature CD releases.  At the bottom of some listings, it may provide alternative or re-release versions.  So, for example, JW Media released vinyl albums under the Impress, Josef Weinberger and Programme Music labels.  So some releases on Impress may well have been re-released years later under Josef Weinberger, again as vinyl.

To add, most libraries did not re-release their vinyl as a CD so many were never available on other formats for download/audition.  Those that did released them with albums that contained tracks missing, some added from other albums and even a different album title.  Some libraries now have their original vinyl and cd's on their websites to download as either MP3 or in lossless format.   However, the majority of those older more obscure libraries have been lost in time and have not re-appeared on larger music distributors such as APM etc that provide dozens of library music labels.  So, again using Josef Weinberger or KPM as an example, the majority of their original vinyl albums were then uploaded to the distributors website (APM as an example).  Some as originals from the master tapes, some tracks re-mastered.  At the time of vinyl and CD releases, there wasn't a digital format or website to upload their material too.

Going back to Discogs, the users on that site will then not list those albums that are only available on the music publishers websites that are not available in physical form and only available for audition / download.

Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say on this and feel free to add anything else to this as I'm sure other members will have differing opinions.

Your answer basically answered my question, thank you.

English is not my mother tongue, so there are often mistakes in writing. Please forgive me. I will try to improve.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 10:08:14 AM »
Additionally, sometimes it's mixed up and more complicated.

For example the MATCH MUSIC releases are CDs on the Universal website as you can see on the cover, on Discogs you can find both the CD and record cover/release. Especially around 1986-1988, when the change between the format came up, you will often have releases that overlap. The information on Discogs is not quite obvious on takes some further digging to find both, often because they are not connected. When entered properly, you get all results.

Left: CD release. Right: Record release.

But it does not show that the other album exists respectively. I think it'd help to have some "Maybe this is related to..." section on the bottom where the Discogs software assumes/expects similar results. I think it defeats the purpose of Discogs a bit if you have to look for such information yourself - but how to look for something you don't know; the reason why you went to Discogs in the first place.

So, MATCH MUSIC distributed both on vinyl and digital. Interestingly enough, the noise level on e.g. "Intruders" (the song is called like the album) suggests that they did not even bother to remaster and used the tape/master for the vinyl, which basically has no real improvement except for convenience.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 10:14:58 AM by Psyclon »

testcard

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 01:49:58 PM »
Additionally, sometimes it's mixed up and more complicated.

For example the MATCH MUSIC releases are CDs on the Universal website as you can see on the cover, on Discogs you can find both the CD and record cover/release. Especially around 1986-1988, when the change between the format came up, you will often have releases that overlap. The information on Discogs is not quite obvious on takes some further digging to find both, often because they are not connected. When entered properly, you get all results.

Left: CD release. Right: Record release.

But it does not show that the other album exists respectively. I think it'd help to have some "Maybe this is related to..." section on the bottom where the Discogs software assumes/expects similar results. I think it defeats the purpose of Discogs a bit if you have to look for such information yourself - but how to look for something you don't know; the reason why you went to Discogs in the first place.

So, MATCH MUSIC distributed both on vinyl and digital. Interestingly enough, the noise level on e.g. "Intruders" (the song is called like the album) suggests that they did not even bother to remaster and used the tape/master for the vinyl, which basically has no real improvement except for convenience.
thank you thank you  :D