Author Topic: Same Melody, Different Composer  (Read 1109 times)

KPMFan1000

• lg78
Same Melody, Different Composer
« on: December 27, 2022, 01:38:48 AM »
So on FDH 28, Clive Richardson has his track called locomotion.
Now, On The Carlin Archive Album City Life/Marching Bands, there is a track called Shopping Spree, composer listed as Harry Bluestone.
It has the same melody as Richardson's locomotion.
I'm not sure what the origin of "Bluestone"'s Shopping Spree is (I doubt it's the C&B Reel-to-reel series)
But does anyone know who originally composed it and why said composers name isnt credited on the song remake, whatever it is.
I'm thinking clive richardson made it because his version sounds older, but i want to hear your thoughts.
LibraryGuy78

Walk the Skies 202

Re: Same Melody, Different Composer
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 07:41:08 AM »
Not sure what the reason for this is or who composed it first, but this does seem like grounds for a niche yet interesting topic.

Off the top of my head, I know two of Sam Spence's NFL compositions are expanded remakes of two earlier KPM pieces:
- Hit and Run by Ralph Dollimore [orig. KPM 111; reissued on KPM LP 20 and again on KPM 82 CD], which Spence published with the exact same name on NFl 103, reissued on the NFL 002 CD.
- Street Beat by Kenny Graham [orig. KPM 114; reissued on KPM LP 21], which Spence retitled as Police Car and put out on the aforementioned NFL albums.

KPM Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 01:53:25 PM »
Listening to these two compositions by Sam Spence, it seems to me that he was inspired by the tracks rather than copied.

apmnut

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 11:34:48 PM »
So on FDH 28, Clive Richardson has his track called locomotion.
Now, On The Carlin Archive Album City Life/Marching Bands, there is a track called Shopping Spree, composer listed as Harry Bluestone.
It has the same melody as Richardson's locomotion.
I'm not sure what the origin of "Bluestone"'s Shopping Spree is (I doubt it's the C&B Reel-to-reel series)
But does anyone know who originally composed it and why said composers name isnt credited on the song remake, whatever it is.
I'm thinking clive richardson made it because his version sounds older, but i want to hear your thoughts.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Bluestone recorded a cover of Richardson's tune, and when the composition got reissued, they just slapped Harry's name on it regardless.

apmnut

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 04:04:42 PM »
Just remembered another, much more obscure example of one track being a remake of the other: A Sonoton track called "Fiddles" and composed by Gerhard Narholz is practically the same composition as a track called "Eskapade", composed by Toni Leutwiller and performed by "The Belvedere Orchestra", released on the Wild Cat label of Italy. No idea which came first in this case, however.