Author Topic: Kai Harster - Return to Nature & Other Delights (1980-81)  (Read 1223 times)

tezeta

Kai Harster - Return to Nature & Other Delights (1980-81)
« on: March 30, 2023, 06:08:53 AM »
Hi everyone, here's something new and exciting (well, to me) that I had to share with all you lovely people.

This obscure vanity press is the sole record of one Kai Harster, a profound meditation on modern life of the ambient variety. It occasionally reminds me of the lovely early Kraftwerk. Composed with polymoog, minimoog, ppg sequencer, and moog-vocoder, and "arranged" with natural sounds—all that and quotation marks copied from Kai's back cover notes, which also say:

""You're playing with feelings and emotions" a girl once said about my music. I like this description. so enjoy the sonic material, love it or hate it.""

The typewritten insert for the album, translated and reproduced thus:

"... the sounds are reminiscent of magritte's paintings, grabbing with gentle force, awakening dreams,... nature, electronics and voices are the material... spontaneity is everything... feeling comes before intellect...
... born 16.10.40 in munich... moved to america at 18... job on a farm... military... journalist... return to germany... meets studio freak kalle strode... "container records" is born in the garden house... sound adventure with nature sounds and voices... a moog of course... electronics becomes an addiction...
... contact with austrian avant-garde musicians hubert bognermayr and harry zuschrader... in the "elektronisches forsterhaus", "bells in rain", "woods & sea" and "my new world" are created... 1980 performance at the "ars electronica" in linz...
... mid 81 mixing of the earlier tracks "night drive", "fun in the subway", "only a fool" and the linz tracks... with the simplest means... in the living room... "bells in rain" is changed... the beginning is played by maris, my 15 year old son, on the roland vocoder plus...
... will it go on? you bet!..."

If Kai is still out there, I hope to one day be able to thank him for this amazing music. This rare press was transcribed onto a Creel Pone CD, shared here now for all to hear in FLAC.

Please enjoy and leave some thoughts!!   ;)

mega.nz/folder/QPpRxYTY#fxwM9lq9MXjyOArhckK-rQ
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 06:23:54 AM by tezeta »

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
Re: Kai Harster - Return to Nature & Other Delights (1980-81)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 03:31:10 PM »
Heh! The early Tomb Raider games, namely Tomb Raider I to III, had ambient tracks playing in the background as you played it that are kind of an underscore of the likes of "Fun in the Subway", just without those lead SFX. I would listen to those of TRII because it was CD audio and it played on my stereo in my room when I was a kid. And everyone called me insane :D

Now, this is more sophisticated, but I must admit that this cross-over of ambient tracks coupled with the weird sound cues is kind of a flashback to me.

Fuzi

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 08:55:46 AM »
Many thanks tezeta
These tracks will come handy next time I drop acid:)
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

likedeeler

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 10:34:39 PM »
Excellent! This stuff is totally up my alley. We recently had a couple of fake "reissues" from Creel Pone. So the audio quality is a pleasant surprise as well.

tezeta

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 11:37:37 PM »
Heh! The early Tomb Raider games, namely Tomb Raider I to III, had ambient tracks playing in the background as you played it that are kind of an underscore of the likes of "Fun in the Subway", just without those lead SFX. I would listen to those of TRII because it was CD audio and it played on my stereo in my room when I was a kid. And everyone called me insane :D

Now, this is more sophisticated, but I must admit that this cross-over of ambient tracks coupled with the weird sound cues is kind of a flashback to me.

Nice! I'm all about stirring up the nostalgia (it's what my username means!)  ;D

tezeta

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 11:38:04 PM »
Many thanks tezeta
These tracks will come handy next time I drop acid:)

LOL! way ahead of you there  ;)

tezeta

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 11:39:24 PM »
Excellent! This stuff is totally up my alley. We recently had a couple of fake "reissues" from Creel Pone. So the audio quality is a pleasant surprise as well.

Yep, great quality reissue thankfully. Glad you liked it!

Tanasi

• formerly wfoster00
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 02:52:35 AM »
thanks, tezeta!