Author Topic: Searching for the ID of a piece of library music for Many Years - please help.  (Read 1887 times)

FuzzyMemories.TV

Hi,

I've been searching for the source of a piece of library music for over 20 years.  If someone could help, I would be extremely grateful.

Here's two examples of it being used - the first in the background during a magic act shown on TV in 1977.  (it plays all the way through so if this doesn't jog your memory than nothing will)

Next, as the longtime opening theme for a local news program:

And lastly, as a couple bonuses  - if anyone has any clue as to these local movie show openers:

Herb Alpert-style theme:

and

Bossa-Nova Trombone piece:

Thank you, thank you.  For any help.   :)

Rick
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:30:03 AM by stackjackson »

Mr

• Administrator
That first cue sounds annoyingly familiar, and I'm getting a bit of a Roger Roger vibe - are all of these from television in the US?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:29:03 PM by Mr »

FuzzyMemories.TV

Yes, all U.S. TV used in the 1970s.

apmnut

I get Roger vibes from the first track, too. Can't help you with the track, but I imagine it's from either Chappell or Major Records, as Roger wrote tracks for both libraries.

FuzzyMemories.TV

Thanks for the tips - I spent the last couple hours listening to pretty much everything I could find from Roger Roger and his Orchestra - but unfortunately didn't come across it.  If anyone else has any leads, please let me know.  :-)

FuzzyMemories.TV

ONE MORE CLUE!  Someone seemed to have remembered that this tune was on a Capitol library record - and may have been called "Moradic Mechanical" or "Morandic Mechanical" or something like that.  I read in another thread on this board that there are some Capitol library tracks that end in Mechanical - could it be one of them?

stackjackson

• Administrator
ONE MORE CLUE!  Someone seemed to have remembered that this tune was on a Capitol library record - and may have been called "Moradic Mechanical" or "Morandic Mechanical" or something like that.  I read in another thread on this board that there are some Capitol library tracks that end in Mechanical - could it be one of them?

Well, there are at least several Hi-Q releases with "Mechanical" cues...

L-17-18 - Mechanical - Bill Loose cues
L-101-102 - Mechanical, Commerce & Trade - Bill Loose, Jack Cookerly & Emil Cadkin cues
L-129-130 - Mechanical - Dan Kirsten cues
M-099-100 - Mechanical Movement - Bill Loose

But on quick listen, I'm not finding a match...

This has a real early De Wolfe sound to my ears... maybe something off one of the American Neutral Background series?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:45:13 AM by stackjackson »
| Stack |

FuzzyMemories.TV

Thanks - yeah I'm not sure if the tip is valid but it was the only clue we had.  I have no idea what "Moradic Mechanical" or "Morandic Mechanical" is supposed to mean though.  The music does have a bit of a repetitive "mechanical" sound to it like an automated factory - the beginning part of the Magician video actually sounds like "Morning" or "on a farm" or something - that's the vibe I get.

Capitol D39/D40 contains the Phil Green tracks "Dramatic Mechanical Main Theme" and "Agitato Mechanical" but I found these used in a Ren & Stimpy episode and they were not a match either.  :-(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:08:14 AM by FuzzyMemories.TV »

apmnut

Unrelated, but the Herb Alpert-esque "Morning Movie" theme might be a Selected Sound cue. If not, it still sounds very German to my ears. Those German composers loved doing tracks in that style back then.

Mr

• Administrator
Capitol would have been my second guess here, especially considering these were on US television.
You may have picked up on this already, but the first video actually contains three separate cues: One running from the start to 1:16, one from 1:31 to to 2:58 and one from 2:58 to the end at 3:10. The third being an 'ending' variation of the second.

As you may be aware of, their catalogue is quite massive. Considering the sound of the cues, I don't think you'll find these on the "D" reels, these are more suspenseful/dramatic in nature. I've never seen a cue titled "Morandic Mechanical", though there are quite a lot of cues with "Mechanical" in the title. Going by sound, I'd guess this was on one of the "L" or "M" reels, and the bass sound would place this in the middle or later part of the catalogue rather than the early mid-50's stuff.

I'll second what apmnut wrote above, the last cue sounds German to me too.

FuzzyMemories.TV

Thank you, everyone for your help so far.  I am determined to crack at least one of these nuts eventually.

Regarding the Herb Alpert-esque "Morning Movie" theme (Selected Sound, German?):

Is there any source for these tracks to go through?  I keep searching on YouTube but only find "funky" tracks.

Also, any ideas on the last one - the Bossa Nova trombone with strings?

Thanks!

Speedy

I believe the first piece is called "Looking Around" by William Loose and Emil Cadkin.  It's from the Play Production Music library.

apmnut

I have this track, & can indeed verify that it is indeed "Looking Around." It's actually from CPM, though, not Play Production Music. The second track might also be on one of these albums. "TServo2049" might know which it is, he has access to all those tracks.

FuzzyMemories.TV

Amazing!  Thank you apmnut and Speedy!.  Just to be clear, you're talking about the music in this video, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpLGE41RZJ4&feature=emb_title

apmnut - any chance you could provide me with a copy of the track?  E-mail address is: fuzzy@fuzzymemories.tv

FuzzyMemories.TV

Ok, one of the mysteries has been solved!  Many thanks to everyone in here as well as TServo2049.

I now have a copy of CAR_CPM__004_4101 - which was used as the theme to Night Beat.  The accompanying info says about the track:

41 Gadabout William Loose / Emil Cadkin
Exciting optimistic activity busy brass bustle
Duration: 1.31   

Ok, so it was composed by Loose and Cadkin.  My only question is this - since this is off a Carlin/CPM re-issue - how would I find out where this track appeared originally?

Is it correct to assume that it originally appeared on a Capitol Hi-Q release?

I'd like to find out what the original Hi-Q series was - would it have been an L series?  And if Loose and Cadkin were the composers would the track ID start with 'OK'?  Lastly obviously if the track had a different name originally (not "Gadabout") I would like to know that too.

Thanks again for any additional help.

Cheers,

Rick