Author Topic: General Cinema Corporation bumper jazz theme  (Read 2043 times)

Joey Faust

General Cinema Corporation bumper jazz theme
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:54:49 AM »
anyone have any info on this infamous General Cinema 'feature presentation' theatrical bumper from the 60s & 70s.
The song is burned into my conscience from my childhood, would like to find perhaps a longer unedited version of it, if it exists.

cesser000

Re: General Cinema Corporation bumper jazz theme
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 04:17:24 PM »
That is 'Brief Discussions (Duets For Several Instruments)' by Mario Nascimbene.  It comes from the 1965 Sam Fox album SF 1010.

Joey Faust

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 07:54:40 AM »
heck yeah cesser000, thanks a bunch

Joey Faust

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 09:21:18 AM »
it seems the snare drum was a separate track spliced in with the Mario Nascimbene - Brief Discussions track, so I'll still be trying to identify the snare drum bit.

cesser000

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »
Went through the rest of my early Sam Fox rips and couldn't find the snare segment, though I don't have albums SF 1005, 1007-09.  Could be on one of those, or from an entirely different label altogether.

Joey Faust

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 04:13:32 AM »
i appreciate your efforts just the same. thanks

Pegbars

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
Yes, it was definitely an edited theme.  I've found the following high-hat/snare bits are workable:

Quickstep (DeWolfe DW 3083)
Quick Solo (DeWolfe DW 3083)
Drums (Chappell DMM 308)
Drivin' Drums (Chappell DMM 314)

Soaring Strings!

cesser000

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »
Wow, GREAT finds on those two DeWolfe tracks Pegbars!  I think those are definitely the ones they used :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:14:48 PM by cesser000 »

cesser000

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 05:05:05 PM »
I uploaded both of those DeWolfe pieces to my secondary Youtube channel...

Joey Faust

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 01:31:40 PM »
holy wow, thanks to both of you.

Pegbars

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 08:48:10 PM »
You're sure welcome.  Always glad when I can contribute something. 

Wow, GREAT finds on those two DeWolfe tracks Pegbars!  I think those are definitely the ones they used :)
Thanks, Cesser!  They sure sound really close.  ;) 
Soaring Strings!

TServo2049

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »
I don't think those DW tracks are the same drums. I have the General Cinema drums burned into my brain, and those just don't follow the same "patterns". Who knows if we'll ever find out just which tracks they actually used...

EDIT: I think I FOUND them!

Carlin/CPM used to have a series of albums online (were they called the CPM Web Series or something?) that had a bunch of (retitled) 60s Capitol tracks. They were quietly deleted from the catalog around 2010-11 (probably because nearly everything by Bill Loose was--is?--caught up in the legal morass of multiple lawsuits and countersuits involving his widow Irma, Carlin, Emil Cadkin, Jack Cookerly, and Don Great, and thus seems condemned to permanent rights hell).

But about 7 years ago, I somehow discovered still-active URLs on CPM's server, from one of those sites that crawls MP3s from the web and catalogs them, and was able to deduce the filename patterns to download all (or nearly all) of those tracks. (Good thing I did when I did, because I'm pretty sure they're gone-gone by now.)

Anyway, I thought that maybe GCC might have used an American library, and I remembered those "lost" CPM albums contained some percussion stuff, so I went back into those files, and turned up two that immediately sounded correct. Below are the tracks I think were used by General Cinema. Carlin retitled them "Jazz Percussion", though knowing the Capitol naming schemes of the era, the original titles were probably just as utilitarian. Maybe if someone has the original Capitol album these game from (it'd be either Hi-Q or Production Music Service), we could know what those original names were.

bs&p://mega.nz/#F!ktNCxKqB!dfADxIxLLwGmAeW2zA9qqg
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:31:48 PM by TServo2049 »

TServo2049

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 04:32:16 AM »
Just for fun, I combined the two drum tracks I found with the Mario Nascimbene track to recreate the GCC music. Here is the result. I think this proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that the tracks I found are the real sources of the drums.

nope://mega.nz/#!Q59xhIyI!1ZwuPHtBDHnpbVTZDglKTBWQxsXDS5j0oR3UYXK_KCM
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:34:02 AM by TServo2049 »

Pegbars

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 12:20:19 PM »
I think I FOUND them!

Oh, that's absolutely them!  Great job!  And very good that you saved those tracks.  Thank you! 

Soaring Strings!

Pegbars

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 01:26:05 PM »
Maybe if someone has the original Capitol album these game from (it'd be either Hi-Q or Production Music Service), we could know what those original names were.

Thanks to your tip, I found them.  The two percussion cuts are on Capitol PMS Volume 1, #14. 

SIDE ONE
Cut 12: "Jazz Cymbal Beat"
Cut 13: "Jazz Drums-Rhythm"

Soaring Strings!