Author Topic: Audio quality help for iMac?  (Read 1172 times)

roope

Audio quality help for iMac?
« on: August 23, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
Soon I'm going to loose access to the laptop I've been making most of my rips. At some point I made rips with my iMac, but there was some loss in the ends of the frequencies. Any idea how to fix that?
Help would be appreciated as I'd love to continue ripping and make them as lossless as possible.
I've been using the same outer sound card for both of the computers, so it shouldn't be that. I'm using iMac 2011 and the latest version of Audacity.

neowave

Re: Audio quality help for iMac?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
Soon I'm going to loose access to the laptop I've been making most of my rips. At some point I made rips with my iMac, but there was some loss in the ends of the frequencies. Any idea how to fix that?
Help would be appreciated as I'd love to continue ripping and make them as lossless as possible.
I've been using the same outer sound card for both of the computers, so it shouldn't be that. I'm using iMac 2011 and the latest version of Audacity.

Hi Roope. Please check
1. input signals, play with the noise at the microphone input, so that less noise is transmitted (make the amplifier quieter, for example) - this will reduce the recording noise.
2. In the !settings of the sound card! itself in the settings, and not the recording application, check the input frequency and bit rate. If the frequency and bit rate in the application and in the microphone are the same, continue recording. If the frequency and bit rate on the sound card and in the application are different, then there will be the above-described problem when the capture program does not capture frequencies higher.

roope

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 11:17:14 AM »
thanks for the tips neowave. not sure if i'm able to make the amplifier quieter, i'm taking the sound straight out from rca output.

but i'm actually not sure if i had tried yet without the external sound card. now i recorded straight from the mic input. how does this sample look like: we.tl/t-cyy513DPUk

if i make any sense of my audition view it looks pretty good.

neowave

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 11:23:02 AM »
I would make two test entries.

1. two records - a needle on an empty fragment - without sound
with integrated card and external card
2. Two recordings with sound. built-in card and external card.

Or two starts of tracks

On an empty fragment, we will see the signal-to-noise ratio on both fragments for comparison
on a fragment with sound, we can also match the signal-noise and check where better.
I use Izotope RX to check audio files

roope

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 11:47:20 AM »
thanks for your help. if you have time, can you analyze these? i'm all new to this and am not sure if i can make reliable conclusions.
i made three recordings with both methods mic and soundcard: beginning of a record, a piece of track, and a recording of a well mastered reissue side beginning.
we.tl/t-9Co0gTZ00P

neowave

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »
https://we.tl/t-J9OCtlZZq9
I sliced ​​and evened out both fragments in volume.
Fragments are identical at all frequencies except:
1. on the built-in microphone, all frequencies are (over 19.5 kHz)
2. on the built-in microphone there is no artifact of sound at 2.5 seconds of the cut fragment. (May be able to hear or see (I highlighted in the screenshot https://i.imgur.com/IJFm9Sk.png))

I suggest recording on the built-in sound card if rips of 44 kHz are required.

roope

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 02:01:55 PM »
thanks a lot neowave for your time and comments!
i'll make a rip of christian poulet album with this equipment soon, let's see how it turns out.