Author Topic: unknown tracked music in 87~91 computer games, some from stock music libraries  (Read 1971 times)

xeenmusic

I am having difficulty identifying the sources of several jingles from three computer games by New World Computing (Macintosh versions only). Most of the music was NOT composed for these game but tracked from other albums (including classical, movie soundtracks, and stock music libraries). There is a possibility that some musics were composed directly for the game (as is the case with the Introduction Theme for MM1 and MM2); but I personally think all the rest was tracked. These games pre-date CD-ROM games and it sounds as if at least some of them were recorded straight from LP Vinyl. The jingles are at the most about 10 seconds, and the compositions from which they are stolen are usually much longer in length. (I cannot imagine that the game designers actually had actual permission to use all these.)

Might and Magic I (1987)
Might and Magic II (1990)
King's Bounty (1991)

SOME NOTES:
The "210 Audience with the King" is definitely a brass fanfare from some stock music library. This cue is also found in "Herbert the Timid Dragon" in 1985 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E3jkN2mAJw at 1:34). Herbert primarily uses old KPMLP releases (some of which are no longer in the KPM catalog) and also some Bruton music. If that fanfare is from one of those albums, it may help find the source for more... But so far I cannot find the source of that fanfare. However, a longer version (or the first cue edited together with a second cue) was present in a TV show in 1993 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sJ5Z0yxjIo).

Since three tracks from Might and Magic I were taken from David Munrows "Pleasures of the Royal Courts" and some unidentified ones sounded similiar, I checked as many of his albums as I could find, but I did not detect any more of the unidentified tracks.

ADDITIONAL CUES:
There are also two more games in question:

Most of the SFX from Might and Magic 4(1992) were taken from stock music CDs and then altered. I have all of the source data directly from the original music/sound designer, and this track is not part of his material. This makes me think that final game programmers took it from another source -- probably also from some stock CD.

At some point, a group of fans hacked one of the Might and Magic games and edited it in 1995 to make Swords of Xeen. In the process, they added one unique composition to the game. I am not certain if they composed it themselves or tracked it from elsewhere as they were only hacking the game, and I have not been able to find any way to contact anyone from that project so far.

See the excel spreadsheet for a list of which tracks I have identified:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SK-Ih-8GlMDUh8Id36IwyRiJL1piotpK/view?usp=sharing

Download the archive of all the tracks:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TwVP37X0k3UKzfkOoDu5CKHKOlPvQ3Wt/view?usp=sharing

Thank you very much for any help in tracking down the identity of these remaining cues!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:07:07 PM by xeenmusic »

Craig-UK

• WCW Theme Database
102 Inn - "Ic draghe de mutse clutse" - hxxps://stanleybuetensluteensemble.bandcamp.com/album/in-a-medieval-garden-instrumental-and-vocal-music-of-the-middle-age-and-renaissance about 32 seconds in.
103 Tavern - "Trotto" - same album as above
110 Party Slain (Death) - "Ma Tredol Rosignol" same album as above
202 Inn - same as 102 Inn
203 Guild - "Follow Me And Children's Chorus" - hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zQQMQWWAiY

Sorry don't know any others.

xeenmusic

Good finds! Thank you very much, that knocks out a significant amount!

I will update my chart.

After asking around at several places and searching myself, I'm surprised no one knows the original source of the "210 audience with the king" fanfare. It's used in quite a bit of productions and most certainly came from some popular stock music library.

apmnut

I think that fanfare's actually a sound effect, probably from the Major Records library, but I'm not sure if it's from there, as it's not on any of the sound effect 78s from that label that are up on Archive.

Mr

• Administrator
Chapulin, the show from the 1993 clip, is chock-full of library cues, so this fanfare is likely library. It's not one I recognize or have been able to find, but I would suspect an archive KPM cue, perhaps?

Not that it helps narrow it down all that much, but 206 is played entirely with a stock Yamaha DX7 sound ("Brass 3").
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:32:31 PM by Mr »

xeenmusic

Not that it helps narrow it down all that much, but 206 is played entirely with a stock Yamaha DX7 sound ("Brass 3").

Good ear. I'm surprised you recognized something like that.
Are saying that it was recorded on a Yamaha DX7 keyboard or some sort of soundfont?

Mr

• Administrator
Hard to say, really.
This is digital-era (MIDI) FM synthesis and could very well have been played either from the synth or reproduced with a soundfont - or entirely different FM-compatible hardware using the same preset.

Doesn't help narrow it down much, but it would indicate the cue was produced in 1983 or later, heh.

xeenmusic

I'm wondering if it would be possible to reproduce it on that device. It's a pretty simple cue. (One of the main problems is that the audio quality in this game is only 11050hz.) Do you yourself have something with that instrument?

Mr

• Administrator
I don't have an actual DX7 on hand, but here's a quick reproduction with a digital FM synth plugin and the "Brass 3"-preset loaded up:
hxxps://mega.nz/#!pMoQ1ART!BR86ElMcHiZ0hTrjBe-7l4ALZZbqeFxU4IcUuUtDWow

xeenmusic

(Sorry, the last post wasn't worded right so I deleted it)

Thank you for recording that for me.

The original definitely has a more brassy sound that is not present in the FM emulation. But if I can find someone with a real board, I might be able to re-create it if I cannot locate the actual source in the end.

The high frequency sounds a bit harsh on your recording, but I'm not sure if it was because you were reducing it to 11050hz. Are you able to record a 44hz output?

xeenmusic

I think that fanfare's actually a sound effect, probably from the Major Records library, but I'm not sure if it's from there, as it's not on any of the sound effect 78s from that label that are up on Archive.

If that fanfare is from a SFX library, some of the other jingles might be too...
There are a few short non-music SFX used in the game. If someone (by extreme chance) recognizes these, it might help to possibly locate any other SFX/jingles which might have been taken from the same source. I uploaded the several SFX from the games here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q5xn1SnlAm6E4mi56pWr4hV4weQl558L/view?usp=sharing

apmnut

If that fanfare is from a SFX library, some of the other jingles might be too...
There are a few short non-music SFX used in the game. If someone (by extreme chance) recognizes these, it might help to possibly locate any other SFX/jingles which might have been taken from the same source. I uploaded the several SFX from the games here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q5xn1SnlAm6E4mi56pWr4hV4weQl558L/view?usp=sharing

That "Bump" was originally, I think, a Columbia Pictures sound used in several Three Stooges comedy shorts. I'm familiar with that "boing", but I can't help you as to where it's from. It was used on Press Your Luck, though. There's a user who used to come on here who goes by "wiley207" who's quite knowledgable with SFX, there's a chance he might be able to help you with those.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:06:45 PM by apmnut »

xeenmusic

That "Bump" was originally, I think, a Columbia Pictures sound used in several Three Stooges comedy shorts. I'm familiar with that "boing", but I can't help you as to where it's from. It was used on Press Your Luck, though. There's a user who used to come on here who goes by "wiley207" who's quite knowledgable with SFX, there's a chance he might be able to help you with those.

I tried to personal message "wiley207" but the username no longer exists here... Thanks though.

apmnut

He's also on the "Anime Superhero" boards, maybe you could send him a PM there?

xeenmusic

He's also on the "Anime Superhero" boards, maybe you could send him a PM there?

I managed to contact him. He said it was from:
"Major Records Valentino Sound Effects Library Volume 17" --- "Trumpet Fanfare No. 1"

It also looks like there are a couple fanfares on Volume 18 as well.

Both are LPs. Does anyone have a digital copy of either of these LPs? Or were those LPs re-released later as part of any CD or other digital collection?