Author Topic: Made this list of underwater library records - what am I missing?  (Read 1845 times)

FictionOfColours

• @ Rateyourmusic.com
I recently made an RYM list covering albums and tracks in library labels that have aquatic themes - both the cult 70s stuff and some of my own 80s-90s finds. I have most of the important stuff down, but i could use a hand or two in remembering some others if you collectors don't mind.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/dreamfortress/library-music-moods-aquatic_underwater
^^The list itself.

Thank you.

milliondollars

Re: Made this list of underwater library records - what am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »
here is my take on underwater library. a list that i made a while ago. still not complete though...

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Underwater-Library-Music/256502

FictionOfColours

• @ Rateyourmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »
I've read this list and I'm linking back to it from my own! Thanks for your skills in gathering this stuff!

JR

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 07:47:49 AM »
>milliondollars
what are in your opinion the top 5 Albums of Underwater music?

milliondollars

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »
such a tough question @JR! a lot of the records i have collected do have like one or two cues and because of that, they made it on the list. if we talk about records that are dedicated specially to this topic i would choose the classic ones. here's a quick take:

- Ittiologia / Biologia Marina / Mare Romantico / Calaidoscope - i throw these all in the same pot for the style of music plus they seem to have been made with the same equipment in the same studio with/by mostly the same composers
- Fauna Marina by Egisto Macchi - really not a big Macchi fan but this one is special. he has created literally a very deep atmosphere in some of the compositions...
- Underwater 1& 2 on Sonoton - classic records and these remind me of actual television cues from my childhood the most
- Vita E Lavoro Nell'Acqua by Franco Potenza - these compositions are so unusual but so good! i am a secret Franco Potenza admirer and for me this is one of his best records. so creative!
- Diagenesi on River - the craziest [electronic] takes on this topic ever! this one is a big surprise actually. i know that many people will not understand or disagree with me but you asked for my opinion  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:21:11 PM by milliondollars »

milliondollars

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »
but to be honest, there's other stuff that is equally good...

a_pylon

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 06:08:33 PM »
such a tough question @JR! a lot of the records i have collected do have like one or two cues and because of that, they made it on the list. if we talk about records that are dedicated specially to this topic i would choose the classic ones. here's a quick take:

- Ittiologia / Biologia Marina / Mare Romantico / Calaidoscope - i throw these all in the same pot for the style of music plus they seem to have been made with the same equipment in the same studio with/by mostly the same composers
- Fauna Marina by Egisto Macchi - really not a big Macchi fan but this one is special. he has created literally a very deep atmosphere in some of the compositions...
- Underwater 1& 2 on Sonoton - classic records and these remind me of actual television cues from my childhood the most
- Vita E Lavoro Nell'Acqua by Franco Potenza - these compositions are so unusual but so good! i am a secret Franco Potenza admirer and for me this is one of his best records. so creative!
- Diagenesi on River - the craziest [electronic] takes on this topic ever! this one is a big surprise actually. i know that many people will not understand or disagree with me but you asked for my opinion  ;)

Very interested by Diagenesi, where can I find it?

tezeta

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 06:44:56 PM »

Very interested by Diagenesi, where can I find it?

Same here! That and Caleidoscope look so very cool... And still, I dream of one day hearing Il Mondo di Quark by A. Tommasi, especially with the high praise you gave it on discogs, milliondollars. ::)  8]

tezeta

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 06:46:13 PM »

I agree. A really fascinating concept record which gives such a strong evocation of Mediterranean life!

LMTH303

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 01:56:08 AM »
Diagenesi?...just as everybody here I want to understand and agree with you milliondollars...any kind of share would be very appreciated of course...when you feel like it...(-:

milliondollars

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 06:22:41 AM »
like i have mentioned already, i have no possibility to record any stuff with my current set-up but Diagenesi will show up at some point, i am sure!  ::)

but please, don't be disappointed. it may be just too weird for some...

JR

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions milliondollars, I'm already listening to 'Ittiologia' (lots of electric piano, I like it)....

ericmivalstoothbrush

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 04:45:46 PM »
Thanks for these lists! Underwater library is my favourite genre. I’m sure to find some new exciting albums in your list!