Author Topic: A question about file sharing protocol.  (Read 1362 times)

Uncle Michael

A question about file sharing protocol.
« on: January 24, 2019, 01:27:00 AM »
I want to be a good citizen here. As a rule, if I acquire something from Soulseek, it lives forever in my shared folder. If I acquire something elsewhere, it never goes into my shared folder.

How do people typically treat music acquired through these forums? Do you share them with the world or keep them close?

Retronic

• Administrator
Re: A question about file sharing protocol.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 07:53:21 AM »
I would say that people sometimes share something with you and ask you not to share it.Most often on here it's shared and then re-shared (as links expire) and people generally thank the original poster by name if they remember who it was.   Thinks get re-shared alot as new members come and feel frustrated that they have missed the boat and find expired links and people are generous here and will re-up.

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 08:22:44 AM »
No need to be reserved about it, we're a public forum and anything shared here will eventually find its way elsewhere - and that's a great thing. Many of our members (myself included) are soulseek users too.
Remember to say thanks if you appreciate a post ;)

Of course, if someone shares something privately with you, it's probably best to honour their wish, but the more things are shared publicly, the better for everyone! :D

Uncle Michael

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:57:03 PM »
Thanks. Like I said, I don't usually migrate stuff from outside slsk into it. Thanks for answering my question.

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
You should really ask the user in question, not us.

Soulseek is a good platform for sharing and downloading files, but there are unfortunately a lot of unhelpful and toxic practices among its users. Most of the time, stuff you find there is also available here - just leave a post in the "Requests" sub-forum.

Pegbars

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 02:50:12 AM »
Thanks, Mr.  (I evidently deleted my question close to the moment you replied.)  But I appreciate knowing your insights on Soulseek... I'm still new to all this.  ;)

I retracted my question because I later found something in the configuration of my Soulseek client that might explain why I was getting rejections:  there's a checkbox for displaying "privately-shared" files in search results. 

So I may have been clicking on a user's private files, that would then come up as Denied.  I un-checked that box and, so far, have not experienced it again.  </sheepish>
Soaring Strings!