Author Topic: Alternate versions/mixes of library tracks on separate albums  (Read 1193 times)

tezeta

Alternate versions/mixes of library tracks on separate albums
« on: January 19, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »
So, I recently made a very interesting discovery: Tracks from one of my favorite library records, Astrofisica (Il cielo) (Panda PL 1001), were also released with alternate mixes, titles, and artist credits on Telemusica N. 6 (Lupus LUS 227). Here's how the tracks on Telemusica match up to Astrofisica's:

Luigi Zito (Litoz) - "Cubismo" = Litoz - "Marzius II", without overlaid echo/delay effects.
Romano Rizzati - "Piper 1" = Floriana Bozalla - "Telescopi", without overlaid echo/delay effects.
Litoz - "Marzius" = Franco Bonfanti - "Quasars", alternate edit without overlaid echo/delay effects.

Check it out for yourself:

I find this quite curious, and was hoping someone might shed a little light on how it happened. Can anyone think of any other examples of this in library music?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:54:12 AM by tezeta »

Mr

• Administrator
Re: Alternate versions/mixes of library tracks on separate albums
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 11:15:25 PM »
You'll find this quite a bit with Leonardi's releases, actually. Sometimes with different composers credited, even!
Compare "Pleasant" (Pareal) and "Matchless Sound" (Francesco Mangialavori) too.

As for details regarding the recording and original release of these LPs, there's not really any that I know of.

tezeta

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 01:52:43 AM »
You'll find this quite a bit with Leonardi's releases, actually. Sometimes with different composers credited, even!
Compare "Pleasant" (Pareal) and "Matchless Sound" (Francesco Mangialavori) too.

As for details regarding the recording and original release of these LPs, there's not really any that I know of.

Intriguing stuff! Thanks for your input, Mr..  :D

Upgrade

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 07:05:42 AM »
I know it can happen when a track is particularly old.

I was trying to track down the instrumental track “Boogie Man” which was used in the radio for the video game Fallout 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlcP6Q-siJQ

I eventually found the original vinyl 78 from the KP Library which was credited to the Group Eight Players with Sid Phillips as the composer. The date printed on the label was 1960.

This is my copy which has a longer arrangement and does not feature the two clarinet solos.

clyp.it/0ivatnng

However, the track used in Fallout 3 matched the flip side of the record, “Treadin’ Light”.

To make sure it wasn’t a fluke of wrong labels, I found the 1970 KPM Brownsleeve reissue. However, the record actually announced the track numbers and the “Boogie Man” tune was still called “Treadin’ Light”.

Even stranger, the two tracks got reissued again in 1994 on the KPM CD Archives Series Volume Six. The CD purports to be tracks from the 40s and 50s which seems to be incorrect considering the original label.

“Treadin’ Light” and “Boogie Man” now each have two versions with alternate arrangements. But as it turns out the alternate arrangements were mistakenly given each other’s name.

I have also found the same “Boogie Man” arrangement on a Jump the Rhine CD which ought to be called “Treadin’ Light”.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:08:33 AM by Upgrade »