Author Topic: Pastiche pop tune mystery  (Read 1094 times)

MrXmusic

Pastiche pop tune mystery
« on: July 18, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »
Hey all, you're probably tired of/dreading my inane questions about music issued on Soviet compilation albums, but I'll try to limit those.  This track is from Вокруг Света [Around the Word] album 7, from 1960.

This one is titled "Always and Forever", or "Раз и навсегда" in Russian.  The lyrics are relatively easy to hear, in spite of the recording quality, but searching them turns up nothing.  The composer credit, Smith ["Смит" in Russian] is equally helpful...

Supposedly it's from the US, and I'm not sure where else it'd come from [sometimes they'd assign tracks to other countries since they sourced/dubbed the piece from a foreign pressing, so music from Germany winds up as Spain since the pressing was from Spain].

The vocal ensemble, or Вокальный ансамбль, is generic enough that they didn't credit a group name or artist, just as the tune is sufficiently generic enough to make identification difficult [though I'm not the best at IDing tracks].  The background marimba and guitar bits don't strike me either.

Anyone recognize it?

MrXmusic

Re: Pastiche pop tune mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »
Hah!  I spoke too soon.  This is a cover of the Beverly Sisters, dubbed none-too-well...
Discogs has some good info on one version of this pressing...
"Smith" is a generic catch-all for Greta Gold & Kay Millet, and Sid Bass is the arranger/conductor.

This isn't this exact version, but it's a period issue that's better quality...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:58:32 PM by MrXmusic »

neowave

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:54:38 PM »
Hello MrXmusic.
1. please use TrackID thread for track id's
2. if you speak Russian, ask a question on the site tunnel.ru, you will definitely get an answer there.

neowave

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »
It's a Always And Forever - The Four Esquires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5z0G50OaR4

in the Soviet years, the names of the performers were differently twistedб because foreign music was undergoing comprehensive censorship.

I can say the same about very rare Soviet-era tape films (магнитофильм), just on the site tunnel.ru there is a special topic dedicated to them. There I also found a 602 magnitofilm with the ensemble of Meshcherin about which you wrote in another post.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:06:14 PM by neowave »

MrXmusic

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 10:01:43 PM »
Hello MrXmusic.
1. please use TrackID thread for track id's
2. if you speak Russian, ask a question on the site tunnel.ru, you will definitely get an answer there.

1 - will do, but are questions about definite non-library tracks allowed there?
2 - I'll check it out!  My Russian isn't great but I'll give them a look.  A friend of mine emailed Melodiya themselves to see if any recording/mastering ledgers existed - it's a shot in the dark but Tunnel is on the list.

Thanks for the original record link as well
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:08:33 PM by MrXmusic »