Author Topic: Detective Umiliani  (Read 1336 times)

Greta

• Administrator
Detective Umiliani
« on: October 04, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
I was listening to the double LP by Piero Umiliani on Liuto, inspired by the recent post by RedMonarch.
I don't remember if this has been discussed already. Anyway, it's been a while that I want to ask already.
A8, is your nick inspired by the track "Detective"? On Liuto release it should be track C8, as it's on first side of disc B. But on St.Germain Des Pres, it's track A8 - Detective.
G.

milliondollars

Re: Detective Umiliani
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
if i was allowed to mention one thing i would say the following:

Percussioni Ed Effetti Speciali is technically two separate releases LRS 0048 (Percussioni) and LRS 0049 (Effetti Speciali)
only on discogs this is listed as C8. if you look at the original thing, each record has an A-side and B-side which makes your C8 to a A8

but seriously well spotted Great!

milliondollars

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »
here is a related picture that i made about one year ago...

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »
Took you a while to catch on, eh? Haha.

a8detective

• a8detective - YouTube
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 05:53:29 AM »
But on St.Germain Des Pres, it's track A8 - Detective.

Hahaha! Yeah! Mr is the only one who has ever mentioned it to me. "Detective" is the track that made me fall in love with Umiliani and, eventually, Library music.

Most people in the USA know the song "Mah-nà mah-nà" because of The Muppets. But, for some reason, I wasn't familiar with it. About six or seven years ago I started watching The Muppet Show on DVD. The first sketch of the first episode of the first season is the "Mah-nà mah-nà" bit. I kept watching it over and over. I loved it.

I had to go to the IMDb to find out who the writer was and that is the first time I heard of Piero Umiliani. I bought the Svezia, inferno e paradiso soundtrack on Amazon and enjoyed it, but only listened to it once. However, I added "Mah-nà mah-nà" to my Favorites play-list and listened to it dozens and dozens of times.

While searching for something else, I ran across a blog (Thank you Funky Frolic!) that had downloads for both of Umiliani's albums on St. Germain de Prés. I really, really enjoyed Effets spéciaux and when I got to "Detective" I was hooked. I loved that someone who could write the poppy "Mah-nà mah-nà" could also do an avant-garde percussion album that was just as listenable! I bought every CD or download I could find and then started scouring the internet for vinyl rips which led me to LMT.

When I joined LMT, I decided to honor the album that made me obsessed with Umiliani. "Detective" was too boring and "A8 Detective" looked too clunky, so I made it all lower case and ran it together: "a8detective." So, my avatar shows you one of my favorite albums and my name gives you the location of one of my favorite tracks: A8, "Detective"!

I'm happy you noticed!

le_tomval

• Tom Val Records
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 08:41:23 AM »
Superb ! From the name to the avatar !

I saw this name pretty much everywhere now "a8detective", sometimes on youtube, sometimes on discogs (contribute) and now here since a few months :)

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 02:25:20 PM »
Great. We have something in common. I used to watch the Muppets Show when I was a child, and also, I ran across Funky Frolic while I was searching for music, and got into library world for the first time.
G.