Author Topic: What other music there is?  (Read 4869 times)

zibi67

Re: What other music there is?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
I started listening to music (over 30 years ago) from electronic music. At the beginning they were: J.M.Jarre, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze. Later others: Robert Schroeder, Rolf Troster, Serge Blenner, Cybotron, Michael Garrison, Ashra, Zanov. I like classic electronic and berlin school from 70/80 from this genre .
Almost at the same time I started to listen to progressive rock: Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Camel, Yes, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) and others from the 70s . At the meeting point of electronic music were also creators from film music and library music, so I became interested in these styles . From the 90s interesting music was created by performers from the 4AD label, Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, etc.
There are many other species that I listen to as well.

roope

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 08:44:38 PM »
i'm into japanese grooves and j-soundtracks mainly. adding my collection here: https://www.instagram.com/onioncuore/

woah, such a charming collection you got there! 99% unknown territory for me, which make it even more fascinating!

Col Wolfe

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 10:57:16 PM »
I was aware of the likes of Electric Banana/Lemon Dips etc but only really became aware of library music via clubs like Blow Up, Smersh & Happiness Stan’s in The early/mid-90s.
Cool! Could you tell us a bit more about this? Interesting 'angle'.

Not really sure how to elaborate!

Electric Banana were obviously The Pretty Things, who are a massive Mod/R&B/Psych band (Top 5 for me) so seeing them in the Norman Wisdom film ‘What’s Good For The Goose’ led me to Electric Banana. 

There was a psych compilation called ‘Freakout At The Facsimile Factory’ which focused on psych/beat deWolfe recordings (Lemon Dips, The Cool, Reg Tilsley etc.) which was a major eye-opener for me.

The Mod clubs/rallies often got heavy on the Hammond sound so the likes of Hawkshaw popped up on the radar fairly early and an enquisitive mind (also known as hassling DJs like Martin Green) at the aforementioned clubs resulted in glimpses of mysterious looking library LPs.  Also, the early Acid Jazz scene dabbled in the funkier side of library music.
www spokerecords co uk

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »
The Mod clubs/rallies often got heavy on the Hammond sound so the likes of Hawkshaw popped up on the radar fairly early and an enquisitive mind (also known as hassling DJs like Martin Green) at the aforementioned clubs resulted in glimpses of mysterious looking library LPs.  Also, the early Acid Jazz scene dabbled in the funkier side of library music.
Cool! I bet this must've been quite intriguing at the time ;)

Pharcyde

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »
I m into italo disco 20 years now.

Killa-The-Librarian

• I'm Still Alive
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 07:00:52 PM »
If you're into new age check out the Audion Recording Co catalogue.  They aren't that many but they are pretty good if you are into the ambient stuff

and definitely check out Christaal  ‎– Mystic Traveler, Ocean Sunrise is one of my favorite songs ever!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:06:57 PM by Killa-The-Librarian »

radioman

• collecting library music since 1984
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 12:26:50 AM »
In the car, I used to listen to pop radio. But when you get to my age, late '50s, it gets very samey; apart from new tracks on R1 you've heard everything before. So I bought a cheap mp3 transmitter and filled it with Japanese city-pop and other '80s Jpop/funk.

Some, not all by any means, is so good you wonder why it wasn't a hit worldwide.

Also I sometimes listen to music that used to accompany Ceefax - Vladimir Cosma, Burns/Grossart, Himiko Kikuchi, etc. When this starts to get dull I will move onto something else.