Author Topic: Quadraphonic library music  (Read 989 times)

tezeta

Quadraphonic library music
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:47:21 PM »
So, I'm thinking about another great retro interest of mine, quadraphonic production, and wondering if that ever intersected with the library world. Anything spring to mind for anyone here?

The only such records I've found are from this Ovation sound effects series. Looks like some are going pretty cheap too; maybe I should pick them up and contact my friend with a de-modulator...
https://www.discogs.com/label/591331-Sound-Effects-3

Mr

• Administrator
Re: Quadraphonic library music
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:28:07 AM »
Vedette Records has some sound effects LPs in quad too. Don't think I've seen any regular libraries that do.

le_tomval

• Tom Val Records
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »
Yes Vedette records also have good special effects record but not sure if they are quadraphonic or not.

roope

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 06:55:43 PM »
I don't know if it would make much sense to make the library album quadrophonic. The albums were intended to work like catalogues of music. So you listened through the tracks until you found the track you were looking for, then you ordered the master reel to be used in your production. Of course some quadrophonic tracks could have made a better impression, but i suppose not so many would have listened to them with the right equipment. And if they did and like dit, it wouldn't be quadrophonic in the production anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong!

But then again I'm sure there must be some library tracks reissued on some quadrophonic moody albums for home listening.

I wonder where the quadrophonic sound effects would have been used, maybe in theatre plays?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:58:10 PM by roope »

Lord Thames

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 11:53:45 PM »
I've never seen a quad library LP - bearing in mind most libraries didn't even go stereo until the early 70s, I suspect it's unlikely one exists (though I stand to be corrected on that)!

Having said that, a few KPM albums released in the 80s were UHJ Ambisonic compatible - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambisonic_UHJ_format