Author Topic: Debut publication from Dutton Vocalion Books on KPM/Bruton libraries  (Read 3270 times)

roope

Re: Debut publication from Dutton Vocalion Books on KPM/Bruton libraries
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
Thanks for the info! Now it would be very interesting to hear ESL 112! Do you have it and is it possible to share it?

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 01:59:35 PM »
Book's arrived!  Nice and fat.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 08:07:15 PM »
Book's arrived!  Nice and fat.

Good deal. Here in the States, I've gotta wait until the end of September :(
| Stack |

tezeta

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 11:40:24 PM »
The Third Ear Band recordings ended up on Standard via Ron Geesin, who apparently passed on the tapes to Essex Music  - there was a commercial release which talks about this in the sleevenotes (though the author seems unaware of what library music is, or the Standard label in general, which makes it more confusing than it really needs to be).

Anyway, the book sounds excellent - when we met him a couple of years back, James Clarke mentioned he'd done an interview for it, and Mr Lomax is an excellent writer and compiler of CDs, so this is bound to be good!
Interesting stuff. Thanks for your comment.

Thanks for the info! Now it would be very interesting to hear ESL 112! Do you have it and is it possible to share it?
I'll keep an eye out!

ericmivalstoothbrush

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up, just ordered a copy! That postage cost hurt, though... :-o

tuneboy

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 05:02:58 PM »
This looks mighty interesting!
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=978-1-9996796-1-3

I have read it! I always thought "why don't this Lomax guy write a book about library music" when I read his liner notes to the Vocalion library reissue CDs. Well, he did, and what a book! A better book about KPM could not have been written. It may be too detailed to be to everyone's liking, but for guys like me, always curious to know all about how the great UK library music came into being, this is the bible.

tezeta

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
This looks mighty interesting!
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=978-1-9996796-1-3

I have read it! I always thought "why don't this Lomax guy write a book about library music" when I read his liner notes to the Vocalion library reissue CDs. Well, he did, and what a book! A better book about KPM could not have been written. It may be too detailed to be to everyone's liking, but for guys like me, always curious to know all about how the great UK library music came into being, this is the bible.

Glad to hear it! I'll definitely look into getting it myself sometime. Dutton Vocalion also has some great surround SACD releases they've been doing lately, for all you hi-fi nerds out there.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 03:35:34 AM »
Copy received today. I think I'm going to enjoy reading this one.
| Stack |

ericmivalstoothbrush

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 08:33:25 PM »
... and my copy arrived today. I've just flicked through it but from what I've seen this will be an enjoyable read!