Author Topic: How NOT to clean Vinyl using WD40  (Read 1128 times)

Dick Turpin

How NOT to clean Vinyl using WD40
« on: July 19, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
Came across this utter moron handing out advice to clean Vinyl LP's with WD40 ! The idiot doesn't realise that WD40 evaporates to leave a horrible sticky residue guaranteed to fuck up your expensive purchase for years to come

I like this comment best:

"You do this to even one of my vinyls and i will take a bat and break all the bones in your hands"

Edit

However this is fully recommended for any Country and Western LPs you might have, as Buddy Rich was once asked in hospital by a Nurse, "Are you Allergic to anything ?", the reply was ""Yes, country and western music"

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:16:29 PM by Dick Turpin »
Hands up, give me all your hammond !

Shadowfan

Re: How NOT to clean Vinyl using WD40
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 01:46:53 PM »
i couldn't believe it either

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »
Jeez, this is just painful to watch. Why would you ever do that?
This is the first and only time I've ever seen someone have a hi fi setup next to their kitchen sink.

roope

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
I've washed about 10 records with a soft napkin, soap and water, because of being lazy (there's always equipment for doing that). It does take the noise away.

Actually I've had good experiences on cleaning with wood glue! You fill the record side with glue and tear the dry glue off next morning. It takes all the dust with it.

Sometimes I clean with isopropyl alcohol but it's not very effective...

There's a record shop with a cleaning device but I never find the time to go there clean my records.

What is the safest D.I.Y. way for cleaning records?

Big Archive

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »
I can tell you how to clean vinyls. Use this brush, I heard that this brush will clean out every dust piece.

There is a brush for vinyls, look this:

If there is too much dust and dirt on the vinyl, there is a cleaning machine available too, look this:

I am sure the vinyls will be clean after this...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:36:41 PM by Greta »

niknak

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 07:26:00 PM »
PVA cleaning every time followed by blasting the zerostat at it. Beautiful results.

That guy in the video - just no.

GabeMcNicols

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »
I'm heavily into retro gaming and WD40 has also made the reputation in that hobby as being the ultimate cleaner, and people swear by it. Not me! I personally have had nothing but bad luck using WD40 and that was for the recommended usage, I can't even begin to imagine using it on personal electronics or more importantly, media in any format.