Author Topic: "Unusual Sounds" - a book about library music  (Read 9835 times)

ericmivalstoothbrush

Re: "Unusual Sounds" - a book about library music
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 09:02:38 AM »
1st post, thanks for letting me join!
Hope this is ok to post, here’s my review of the book
https://louderthanwar.com/david-hollander-unusual-sounds-book-review/
I’ll also be reviewing Saturdays library music film premiere and some other library music gems

Welcome to the forums! Great review! Love your comparison with Panini sticker albums. I had those when I was a kid, and your observation is spot on!  ;D

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »
Welcome, knightrider. Thanks for sharing your review.
Wish I could be in London for the big event.
| Stack |

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Hi Knightrider, welcome aboard.
Nice to read your review. Thanks.
G.

richhscott

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 07:41:23 AM »
Looks great, I'd like to get a copy.

Muff Diver

• Secret Squirrel is watching!
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »

;D

I went a little crazy this weekend. Muff Crazy, as it were, is its own special brand of Crazy...  :o

Sunday I ordered my copy of Unusual Sounds. It's expected to arrive today. We shall see :)

I was able to purchase the 2016 revised edition of The Music Library. But I've always felt bad that by the time I got into Library Music in 2011, I was too late for the first run (2005) of The Music Library.

That all changed Sunday when I found a pristine used copy, including the original CD, of this 'un. It's expected Friday.
hccp://fuel-design.com/publishing/music-library/

Finally, I also purchased the new book by Vocalion Books. That's expected to arrive anytime now.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81O%2BwHGBLQL.jpg

I've totally blown my November budget. I'll be eating lotso rice & beans the rest of this month. But that's ok because now I've got groovy Library Music and Library Books (pun intended) to sustain me (while I go hungry).  ::)

But who can think of food at a time like this? I'm so happy!

8]

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 03:05:37 AM »

;D

I went a little crazy this weekend. Muff Crazy, as it were, is its own special brand of Crazy...  :o

Sunday I ordered my copy of Unusual Sounds. It's expected to arrive today. We shall see :)

I was able to purchase the 2016 revised edition of The Music Library. But I've always felt bad that by the time I got into Library Music in 2011, I was too late for the first run (2005) of The Music Library.

That all changed Sunday when I found a pristine used copy, including the original CD, of this 'un. It's expected Friday.
hccp://fuel-design.com/publishing/music-library/

Finally, I also purchased the new book by Vocalion Books. That's expected to arrive anytime now.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81O%2BwHGBLQL.jpg

I've totally blown my November budget. I'll be eating lotso rice & beans the rest of this month. But that's ok because now I've got groovy Library Music and Library Books (pun intended) to sustain me (while I go hungry).  ::)

But who can think of food at a time like this? I'm so happy!

8]

All very fine purchases, Muff. I'm reading the Vocalion book right now. Finished Unusual Sounds over the summer...
On the old board I posted a full-color PDF scan of that first Music Library book (2005), did you get it back then? Still, it's always better to have the real thing.
| Stack |

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 08:15:20 AM »
Looks like the accompanying soundtrack has been posted out now too :-)

roope

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 06:36:13 PM »
Mood Modern on Vocalion is soooo good! Finally a lot of well gathered library music history to read!! This is something I was hoping for after reading the Unusual Sounds, which works more like an introduction (with a lot of juicy details though). I don't mind watching the images of these beautiful albums though, but I'm looking forward to see more deep going books like Mood Modern on different subjects and approaches. Many of the people involved in 20th century's library music are still alive, so I hope there will be more projects to collect their memories.

Muff Diver

• Secret Squirrel is watching!
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »

All very fine purchases, Muff. I'm reading the Vocalion book right now. Finished Unusual Sounds over the summer...
On the old board I posted a full-color PDF scan of that first Music Library book (2005), did you get it back then? Still, it's always better to have the real thing.

Hi Stack. Sorry I'm so late in responding. I always feel like I'm going to take a "peek" inside LMT and see what's doing. Before I'm even aware of what's happened, I feel like I'm on the losing end of a fight with some Giant Octopus and I'm just getting sucked in!

Picture LMT as a Giant Octopus. Have fun with that mental imagery, Freudians!

So anyways, I did get your .pdf scans of the original Trunk Music Library book. But being of the True Nerd Faith, I just had to have my own copy. But not just any over-priced copy would suffice, I had to find a bargain commensurate with my pauper status. And I did! Muahahahaha!

I've still got a couple of mothballed copies of that original .pdf file you shared with me. That way, the next time somebody else needs a copy I can zip it over to them and make someone else's day.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

digdeeper

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »
has anyone got a chance to check this book yet?
anthology.net/book/david-hollander-unusual-sounds/

i didn't know it existed before tonight, and just ordered a copy.

OMG!😍 Thanks so much for letting us now! I have both "the music library" editions by Fuel Publishing, see
http://fuel-design.com/publishing/music-library-2016/
but news of "Unusual Sounds" hadn't reached me yet. So yes, very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:40:36 PM by digdeeper »

FictionOfColours

• @ Rateyourmusic.com
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2019, 08:05:06 PM »
I've been interested in this book foor some time now, but it's always too spendy when I check the price :( I'd really love to get some inside info on some of this music, always so elusive. Maybe someday.