Author Topic: Announcement about my rips  (Read 1027 times)

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

Announcement about my rips
« on: November 28, 2022, 02:01:27 AM »
C0NN1E told me that scanning the label images on a printer is much better than taking pictures of them with a camera, so from now on, I'll scan the images for the rips instead of camera capturing these labels. Scanning them results in higher quality images than taking photos with a camera.
Peace, Love, and Library Music!

C0NN1E

• Just a person who likes to research library music
    • Library Music Archives
Re: Announcement about my rips
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 02:09:33 AM »
It also means they'll be perfectly flat (usually) and mostly uniform in terms of images. I assume taking photos is easier nowadays since everyone has a phone, so it's usually the goto now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:22:33 AM by C0NN1E »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 03:34:28 PM »
Good deal. Yes, for labels, LP covers, & any other printed matter, scanners should always be the preferred method over camera photos.
| Stack |

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 11:50:21 PM »
Good deal. Yes, for labels, LP covers, & any other printed matter, scanners should always be the preferred method over camera photos.
I wish I could scan LP covers, but my scanner doesn't look like it would fit an LP cover. It's shaped like a piece of paper. So I should take photos of the covers, because of the scanner's shape. But luckily, I can scan record labels, so all hope isn't lost.
Peace, Love, and Library Music!

John_Fred

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 04:56:14 AM »
I wish I could scan LP covers, but my scanner doesn't look like it would fit an LP cover. It's shaped like a piece of paper. So I should take photos of the covers, because of the scanner's shape. But luckily, I can scan record labels, so all hope isn't lost.
That's the main issue of scanning LP album covers.  That your scanner's scan area isn't large enough for it to scan the cover completely.  You can scan half and half, then use image manipulation software to stitch them together, but that presents it's own set of issues.  The best way of doing it is still to take a digital image via a digital camera, only you need to set it up, preferably on some form of rostrum over the album cover that's properly lit without any reflections or bright spots.  But then, most people, (who aren't up to the level of professional photographers), probably don't have the necessary equipment to hand and are unlikely to invest in such, purely to take photos of album covers, exclusively.  You can make-do, of course.  Making a rig of sorts that involve piles of books, a lamp and something to support the camera at the correct height in order to get the best shot.  But that takes quite a bit of preparation and experimentation to get it looking right.

nidostar

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 12:35:04 PM »
I usually take a photo trying my utmost to get the LP cover correctly positioned. But inevitably the image ends up slightly out of perspective with eg the top being slightly narrower than the bottom. So I correct this in Affinity Photo (an image editing app) by carefully pulling the affected side(s) back to where they ought to be. Sound technical but it's actually very easy with the right tools.