Author Topic: Introducing PMCDAP (Production Music CD Archive Project)  (Read 1170 times)

Swift138

Re: Introducing PMCDAP (Production Music CD Archive Project)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2024, 02:05:29 AM »
So, based on the feedback I've gotten, we have decided to do the following:

- Make hashes optional, and the actual disc image files themselves become part of the submission process.
 - Allow discs to be ripped as WAV/FLAC as long as they still maintain the original gap data and ISRC data and the internal CD-text, if present, hasn't been altered. (Basically enough to properly re-create the actual disc's content.) This might make it easier for some people.
 - Organize a central repository for where the disc image files themselves will be (although not directly on the main website).
 - Create a Discord for the project (hopefully there won't be spam/trolling).

Are all of these good decisions, or should I think more about these?

BenKirb

• Discord Username: benkirb
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2024, 02:43:18 AM »
So, based on the feedback I've gotten, we have decided to do the following:

- Make hashes optional, and the actual disc image files themselves become part of the submission process.
 - Allow discs to be ripped as WAV/FLAC as long as they still maintain the original gap data and ISRC data and the internal CD-text, if present, hasn't been altered. (Basically enough to properly re-create the actual disc's content.) This might make it easier for some people.
 - Organize a central repository for where the disc image files themselves will be (although not directly on the main website).
 - Create a Discord for the project (hopefully there won't be spam/trolling).

Are all of these good decisions, or should I think more about these?
I think these are good decisions.
Make sure to join the Library Music Central Discord server!

discord.gg/DEENUVmpeZ

Swift138

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2024, 07:54:41 PM »
I have now updated the website. It now includes a Discord server, and I have greenlighted another program, fre:ac, which is an easy-to-use CD ripping program available for all major operating systems. Note that a few settings should be toggled, though - see the Contribution page for details. This should hopefully make it more accessible to Mac and Linux users who aren't willing to use command line tools or WINE/virtualization.
Finally, we have decided that while file hashes will still be listed on the website, this information is now merely optional for submission. The actual disc image files should now be submitted.

Our new Discord can be found at the following link:
https://discord.gg/KXuGJnCX
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 01:44:13 AM by Swift138 »

Swift138

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2024, 06:14:22 PM »
EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is now supported as a tool with a tutorial:
https://pmcdap.org/contribute.html
https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/

This is another easy-to-use to use tool for Windows.

Remember, all contributions are welcome!

nidostar

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 08:30:20 PM »
Sorry, another query. I understand the desire to preserve data regarding library music released on CDs but I'm not entirely clear what is the purpose of the CD images. I appreciate the legal limitations of providing access to the images submitted but where will they be stored and who will have access to them? Is this not just a clever way of getting us to give you copies of our library CDs? Apologies again for my scepticism but the more I look into this project the more questions I have.

Swift138

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024, 12:59:51 AM »
Sorry, another query. I understand the desire to preserve data regarding library music released on CDs but I'm not entirely clear what is the purpose of the CD images. I appreciate the legal limitations of providing access to the images submitted but where will they be stored and who will have access to them? Is this not just a clever way of getting us to give you copies of our library CDs? Apologies again for my scepticism but the more I look into this project the more questions I have.

CD images are, from our perspective, the easiest way to create a "pure" digital copy of a CD. Recently, however, we have also started accepting WAV and FLAC rips, as long as they are created with the right tools and settings (see the contribution page for programs). The files themselves will all be available to the public, and currently all of our CD rips are "somewhere out there" but "hidden" on a certain "Archive" online, and they have been there since well before the project officially began. We definitely do make sure that everyone, not just us, will be able to access the CD files, but we may need to make plans for future storage.

kpmhill

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2024, 05:01:46 AM »
Redump is a database responsible for preserving and cataloging video games and other game-related media released on optical media, i.e. CDs/DVDs/BluRays); based on dumping albums into a "pure" disc image format. (Reasons why to do this over ripping tracks to WAV/etc. are explained in the upcoming FAQ.)

Is there a way to post a brief, probably oversimplified explanation? Really curious.

Basically, there's "gap data" that most CD rippers discard (which isn't useful, but necessary for 1:1 preservation of CDs, as well as internal ISRC tag data […]

Thanks for the info!

godzfire

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2024, 01:20:04 AM »

Why the harsh response? The goal of this forum in general is to share our collections with others, and that's exactly what a centralized repository would help do. We "give" copies of our library CDs whenever we upload something, as it should be.

nidostar

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 09:56:00 AM »

Why the harsh response? The goal of this forum in general is to share our collections with others, and that's exactly what a centralized repository would help do. We "give" copies of our library CDs whenever we upload something, as it should be.
No, not harsh. I was merely raising a question which was no doubt on other members' minds and which does not appear in the FAQs. Judging from their response @Swift138 recognised it as such and responded accordingly.

As for the goal of this forum there are others whom, I am sure, would take issue as to how we achieve it judging from the response to @xjasonx's proposal (https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=573.msg56610#msg56610) to create a library archive on an SSD drive which would be shared. But you raise an interesting point. Wouldn't the creation of a central repository lead to the ultimate demise of LMT?

Craig-UK

• WCW Theme Database
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2024, 04:41:47 PM »
As the discs will be shared on Redacted site, then I think this is a good project. I would love to help but to download another program and use all more strict lines to share them, I am not so sure.

Swift138

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2024, 05:19:12 PM »
As the discs will be shared on Redacted site, then I think this is a good project. I would love to help but to download another program and use all more strict lines to share them, I am not so sure.

Which program do you currently use? Our guidelines have become more flexible recently.

godzfire

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2024, 12:13:53 AM »
Swift138, I would include the discord link at the top of the original post for ease of finding it.

Wouldn't the creation of a central repository lead to the ultimate demise of LMT?

That will never be a thing because there's going to be lots of missing entries and holes in the collection that will still need to be found and located. LMT will be used to communicate and share things as well since I know for 100% only a fraction of people will use the Discord.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 12:19:16 AM by godzfire »

Yohanes Salomo

• Yohanes Salomo
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2024, 12:48:44 AM »
I can't believe this. Why am i excited for this when i'm not allowed to get the music, just for a "legal" reasons?! Was it because of a "piracy catastrophe"? Or could that be, like, i don't know what to say.

(sorry for my harsh response or my worst rant ever made, it was only my stated opinion. :-\)

Swift, i don't want to ask you that question, but, let me tell you about the detail about "legal" reasons. Why aren't providing downloads (like on musrc.com)? Was it because it could be a "piracy catastrophe" situation? Or might be, a money loss of a production music companies?! Let me know, so i can get a clear and fresh information about it. Thanks! :o :o :o

(and hopefully someday i could download these, or not. :o :o :o)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 12:52:59 AM by Yohanes Salomo »

godzfire

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2024, 01:17:44 AM »
I can't believe this. Why am i excited for this when i'm not allowed to get the music, just for a "legal" reasons?! Was it because of a "piracy catastrophe"? Or could that be, like, i don't know what to say.

(sorry for my harsh response or my worst rant ever made, it was only my stated opinion. :-\)

Swift, i don't want to ask you that question, but, let me tell you about the detail about "legal" reasons. Why aren't providing downloads (like on musrc.com)? Was it because it could be a "piracy catastrophe" situation? Or might be, a money loss of a production music companies?! Let me know, so i can get a clear and fresh information about it. Thanks! :o :o :o

(and hopefully someday i could download these, or not. :o :o :o)

You are misunderstanding what was said. Right now things are just getting figured out.

Swift138

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2024, 01:44:00 AM »
We have switched our Discord to be part of the Library Music Central Discord. See the "PMCDAP" part of the following link:
https://discord.gg/KXuGJnCX