Author Topic: Discussion - "the non-library" section has been frozen, temporarily  (Read 1682 times)

Greta

• Administrator
Over time too many 100% library-unrelated posts have been made and we just can't let it go on again.
Many members have shown good will, others simply ignored the recommendations, but we thank everyone participating in that section in these last years.
Now it's getting a bit out of hand, and we don't want to transform this place in a clone of other all-in-one music sharing sites or peer-to-peer platforms.

It's very simple, at it's birth the non-library section was intended to be "library artists commercial releases", and in any case, somehow library-related at least.

As said previously, things took a strange drift and headed towards something that was not desired.
No metter now, whose fault it was or why. A matter of fact is that we need to put a stop to this and maintain the LIBRARY MUSIC THEMES a specialized forum on the subject.

From now on we'll also delete requests about music that's not library-related.

Thanks for your reading and understanding.
We hope you'll continue to enjoy this fantastic niche sector of music.

The LMT team.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 02:56:12 AM by stackjackson »
G.

Craig-UK

• WCW Theme Database
Re: "the non-library" section has been freezed
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 10:31:51 PM »
That is totally understandable.

May I make just 1 recommendation, not sure if others will feel the same.

Rather than having:
Vintage Library Vinyl and CD rips
Modern Library Vinyl and CD rips - 1990s and Beyond

Could they be:
Vinyls
CDs

Sorry, I know this isn't a recommendation thread but thought I'd throw that out there, see if others feel the same? or could start a separate thread if needed?

Bronic

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 11:40:38 PM »
This is nuts. The subforum guidelines are vaguely explained and users are literally blamed for following exactly what's on its name.

You could then change its name to Library-related to narrow its scope but it's still needed to define what are the actual limits.

Meanwhile the Track ID section is kinda of a hot mess of multiple posts per user...

Retronic

• Administrator
Re: Discussion - "the non-library" section has been frozen, temporarily
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 07:00:11 AM »
Bronic, it’s not nuts to us and has happened over time.  On initial set up it was just me and it didn’t need explaining- it was intended as library related and called non-library for ease. It matters now as it has gotten out of hand. I guess most library stuff has been shared so it is understandable but it he forum has a library identity we want to maintain. 

nidostar

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 10:30:19 AM »
May I make just 1 recommendation, not sure if others will feel the same.

Rather than having:
Vintage Library Vinyl and CD rips
Modern Library Vinyl and CD rips - 1990s and Beyond

Could they be:
Vinyls
CDs

Sorry, I know this isn't a recommendation thread but thought I'd throw that out there, see if others feel the same? or could start a separate thread if needed?
You make a valid point Craig though for me the format is less important than the period the library music comes from. Hence I'd counter-propose simply "Vintage Library pre 1990" and "Modern Library - 1990s And Beyond" and forget the vinyl/CD reference. Alternatively to satisfy both our preferences leave it as it is ha, ha, ha!!!  :)

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 01:26:23 PM »
"literally blamed" sounds quite ridiculous to me.
Nobody was ever blamed, I think, but rather encouraged to keep the main road. We're in a themed forum, and politely telling someone he's off-topic is not blaming.
Or do you happen to complain about the lack of kindness by the admins? It would be useful to know.

"Library-related" could be a good change to avoid confusion, btw. I agree.

As for Craig's suggestion, our goal was exactly to separate the periods, without focusing on the medium format.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 01:31:00 PM by Greta »
G.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 05:32:23 PM »
First of all, this is not my forum and it'd be ridiculous to get angry or furiously attack my host's wishes to what happens in their house.

But... what is library music? I know what it is, but I have tried to do some background checks on some random LP shares and nothing made it obvious these were library albums. The labels were not necessarily "library" (such as KPM, MUSIC HOUSE and equally well-known culprits). The composers were not "library composers" either - because that term is very difficult. So basically, except for very well-known names such as e.g. Warren Bennett, all these "not very clear" albums are supposed to go to the "Non-library section". Real "library shares" would be extremely rare.

I just randomly bring up this album. Out of curiosity: How is that a library album? What "rules" must it trigger? Not asking in a snappy intention. Isn't it just a random LP? Is PAOLA RECORDS a library label or just "some label"? Is "The Kiddy" a library band/group? On Discogs, it's not even rated as "Stage & Screen" or "Theme". Because you can use ANY music as library, and if you license it, it turns into a soundtrack..

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 05:48:34 PM »
In its initial conception when I was expecting about 40-50 members it was intended for things like ‘All You Need Is Love’ by Keith Mansfield or the commercial releases by John Cameron or Brian Bennett: almost library music but on library labels.   Just a bit of context. 

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 06:47:35 PM »
I do totally see it and understood Greta's explanation of stackjackson's rule (oof, what a chain!).
It makes much sense. But what I meant is that a very large chunk of the "Library LP" shares are not really library. They are just random musicians doing their thing and happen to be picked up by a label.

With more and more actual libraries being shared in the past, almost all new entries are extremely iffy.

For example, when I posted the Detective Conan soundtracks, it was just something "Non-Library" that fits what you could hear in, let's say, a FLOWER release from 1972.
Effectively, it was a soundtrack, so not library as it was a paid commission. I do get that, as told in the thread.

But if we are real, a real "library" release requires a catalogue or somet other "structure" where it's being promoted to be ready for licensing. In the end, a library is nothing but a catalogue of music to pick from by anyone. If it's NOT a library album but the composer is involved in any library label in the past - then it fits in the "Non-Library section", as you just explained on-point. And that is almost never the case with the recent shares of the past years even. I mean, there might be the odd share, but much of the stuff I got from here is just some random italo disco album with zero relation, yet it passed the test.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 06:49:27 PM by Psyclon »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 06:48:27 PM »
... nothing made it obvious these were library albums.

Library labels, production companies. Pretty clear. You can view a long list of library labels here => https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=477.0

"Library" is not a genre category, this is obvious. But using that as an argument in this discussion is disingenuous.
| Stack |

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 06:56:06 PM »
I didn't mean to say the Discog's genres are a full reason what is library and what not. And it is clear that I didn't say so. But then, I also think people buying and tagging those records are well-aware if they actually bought a library release (or not) and tagged it accordingly on Discogs. Also,  that list is a great thing!

But what makes Paola a library label (just to stick to my example from above)?
It just kind of says "A label from Italy". I can trust Mr. and his awesome information, but I'd like to be able to fully understand and not just on a "Trust me bro" basis.

If we stick to that very list in Mr.'s post, we are 100% clear and everyone can CTRL+F and we are set and the whole matter can be settled basically.
Everything not in that you linked list is basically now subject to go into the "Non-Library" if one of the musicians noted are involved in other library-related releases (which can be a very difficult task but in doubt > Don't share)
If nothing of that applies, the stuff has to be deleted off LMT?

That is basically the ruleset if I am not mistaken now and that list is a great helper (and a very nice inspiration)!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 07:04:38 PM by Psyclon »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 07:03:17 PM »
This is not a "science." We are discussing a category with conventional definitions and a long history of real-world, professional use.
The Italian labels are quite unique, and would require a deep dive into the history of the Italian production/film industry before engaging them as a test case for establishing definitions.
| Stack |

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2024, 07:10:12 PM »
The Italian labels are quite unique, and would require a deep dive into the history of the Italian production/film industry before engaging them as a test case for establishing definitions.

Indeed. That is the very problem. So it is not "science", but requires a "deep history lesson on music production for the film industry". Researching Italian film music production to fully establish if a label or a composer as library artist is a task that goes probably beyond the will of almost all users here, especially with trustworthy sources to back that up..

But yes, I am satisfied with the answers - especially that list which is a great waypoint for me and many others.

Cheers.

ChunYinZi

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2024, 07:59:48 PM »
I do totally see it and understood Greta's explanation of stackjackson's rule (oof, what a chain!).
It makes much sense. But what I meant is that a very large chunk of the "Library LP" shares are not really library. They are just random musicians doing their thing and happen to be picked up by a label.

With more and more actual libraries being shared in the past, almost all new entries are extremely iffy.

For example, when I posted the Detective Conan soundtracks, it was just something "Non-Library" that fits what you could hear in, let's say, a FLOWER release from 1972.
Effectively, it was a soundtrack, so not library as it was a paid commission. I do get that, as told in the thread.

But if we are real, a real "library" release requires a catalogue or somet other "structure" where it's being promoted to be ready for licensing. In the end, a library is nothing but a catalogue of music to pick from by anyone. If it's NOT a library album but the composer is involved in any library label in the past - then it fits in the "Non-Library section", as you just explained on-point. And that is almost never the case with the recent shares of the past years even. I mean, there might be the odd share, but much of the stuff I got from here is just some random italo disco album with zero relation, yet it passed the test.

Detective Conan?

I don't know if you're talking about that Japanese anime.

He's famous in my country too.

The soundtrack is great too.

TheRetroElevator

• TheRetroElevator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2024, 03:52:50 PM »
I suppose DIY Comps and Other Musical Creations section of the forum could also be suitable for albums related to library music or something similar in spirit, but difficult to classify, if someone still wants to share such things, right?