Author Topic: UBM 1002 - Wide World - Ralph Haldenby  (Read 343 times)

cliquid

UBM 1002 - Wide World - Ralph Haldenby
« on: March 19, 2024, 10:47:15 AM »
UBM 1002 - Wide World - Ralph Haldenby

I think this may have been shared before as a lossless but not from the UBM catalog, instead the Universal Group.
Does anybody have it?

Thank you

Greta

• Administrator
Re: UBM 1002 - Wide World - Ralph Haldenby
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 01:27:58 PM »
Here:
pixeldrain.com/u/WyfRhfZ8

I think it's from the Universal site as you said.
And I have some doubt about the flac authenticity.

Let me know.
G.

cliquid

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 04:15:11 AM »
Hey Greta, thank you.

Yeh this looks legit. There is a gentle roll off at around 20k which is normal for digital transfers from tape. No abrupt cut off at 16k which you get with MP3s. Then there is a little peak at 22.5khz which is pretty normal for something mastered at 44.1khz (Nyquist theory), so I don't think it was mastered at 48k or above. It looks pretty good and sounds nice and warm.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 02:00:46 PM »
No abrupt cut off at 16k which you get with MP3s.

Just throwing that in for further investigations and considerations:
The 16kHz drop-off (lowpass) is only the case up to 192 kBit/s if used by the well-known and widely-used recommended community presets.

Before that bitrate, the decoder uses the bits to build a transparent - artifact free - bitstream and has to cut corners for that goal. From 192kBit/s and more, a normally set-up MP3s encoder spend the additional bitrates to include more and more frequency range.

A random 256 kBit/s MP3 that I just checked has about 19.2kHz and a VBR0/320 goes up to 21.7kHz (and random garbage at 23.8kHz) as they have no low-pass filtering. You can also have a 320 with 16kHz lowpass filter or any other random; the encoder can be told to get any values. In fact, VBR0 ("Extreme" preset in LAME) has no lowpass at all.

As you can see, the 320MP3 has even a lower lowpass set than V0 (what my collection consists of). So, ironically a 320kBit/s MP3 has a 20.5kHz lowpass with LAME whilst a V0 takes everything and works with that. The quality of that stuff can be questionable though; as said many times with lossy encoders: You listen with your ears, not your eyes (as spectrograms do not say much about the quantization (quality level) of that high-frequency content at all) :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 02:07:50 PM by Psyclon »

cliquid

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 05:02:22 AM »
Absolutely right. Which is why I said you "get" with MP3s, but not all MP3s. And yes, I agree, I always use my ears for my final decision. Its my job as a mastering engineer lol. My wife always pulls a funny face when I say I can hear that it's lossy.
I have seen a ton of 320 MP3s with the 16khz roll off though, even ones converted with a decent conversion algo so I am not 100% in agreement with the above.
Anyway thanks for sharing.