Author Topic: Gianni Mazza - Nevrosi [Roman Record Company – AG 105]  (Read 781 times)

stylesforfree

Gianni Mazza - Nevrosi [Roman Record Company – AG 105]
« on: February 09, 2024, 09:18:16 PM »
I saw someone else looking for this in the requests forum while searching for it myself, I came across an upload in M4A format with the audio coded at 379kbps but converted it to 24 bit .wav

I dropped the files into a spectral frequency analyser to double check and the frequency compression caps off at just over 22Khz so it's of pretty decent quality.

https://www.discogs.com/release/6282639-Gianni-Mazza-Nevrosi

https://pixeldrain.com/u/wGuNtmES

Let me know if there's any problem with the audio files and i'll convert them to a different bit rate.

I may amend the topic name over the coming days/weeks and drop some more Italian library stuff in future posts as there's a few requests I have myself but I don't want to just start making loads of requests without making any attempt to actually contribute to this amazing forum

Pino

Re: Gianni Mazza - Nevrosi [Roman Record Company – AG 105]
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 10:19:02 PM »
Excuse me, but ...pixeldrain works ? TYVM

stylesforfree

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 02:09:31 AM »
Excuse me, but ...pixeldrain works ? TYVM

Hi, yes pixeldrain works? Would you like me to upload it to another file sharing site?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 02:13:25 AM by stylesforfree »

Fuzi

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 03:25:52 AM »
Awesome, thank you stylesforfree 8]
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

nidostar

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 11:41:08 AM »
I saw someone else looking for this in the requests forum while searching for it myself, I came across an upload in M4A format with the audio coded at 379kbps but converted it to 24 bit .wav

I dropped the files into a spectral frequency analyser to double check and the frequency compression caps off at just over 22Khz so it's of pretty decent quality.
I use a Mac so convert all the lossless files I find here from FLAC to M4A Apple Lossless. Most 16bit/44.1kHz tracks tend to convert at anywhere between 700 to 1,600kbps depending on the original. So 379kbps seems rather low. I wonder if your conversion to 24bit introduced some audio artifacts which misleadingly presented as higher frequencies.

Would it not have been easier to simply convert the M4A to FLAC? Being lossless formats no musical information would have been lost in the conversion. I frequently do that when sharing as I recognise the majority of members probably can't play Apple Lossless files.

I'm also curious why you decided to convert the files to 24bit thus increasing the file size. For our purposes I would have thought 16 bit would be ample.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:55:45 PM by nidostar »

Pino

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 12:33:44 PM »
@stylesforfree:
the link is good for download in PC  ...  (I used this method)
but NO in smartphone (android) ...

MANY THANKS  :) :) :)

stylesforfree

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 04:01:20 PM »

I use a Mac so convert all the lossless files I find here from FLAC to M4A Apple Lossless. Most 16bit/44.1kHz tracks tend to convert at anywhere between 700 to 1,600kbps depending on the original. So 379kbps seems rather low. I wonder if your conversion to 24bit introduced some audio artefacts which misleadingly presented as higher frequencies.

Would it not have been easier to simply convert the M4A to FLAC? Being lossless formats no musical information would have been lost in the conversion. I frequently do that when sharing as I recognise the majority of members probably can't play Apple Lossless files.

I'm also curious why you decided to convert the files to 24bit thus increasing the file size. For our purposes I would have thought 16 bit would be ample.

Ah ok, sorry. Here's the M4A https://pixeldrain.com/u/2pDTsFXk

The conversion preset was set to 24bit and I didn't bother changing it.

It looks like the M4A files I downloaded from soulseek aren't of the highest quality.

nidostar

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 04:52:24 PM »

It looks like the M4A files I downloaded from soulseek aren't of the highest quality.
Absolutely no need to apologise @stylesforfree. Sorry if my post came across rather strong.   I’m always interested to learn from others and to understand how or why they choose to process audio files in the way that they do. It may be you hadn’t realised that you could go from M4A direct to FLAC without loss of quality hence I thought it worth mentioning. As has been discussed many times on this forum WAV files are merely containers. So if the original M4As were of a lower quality converting them to WAV wouldn’t actually make any difference other than increasing the file size and depending on the method of converting the loss of tags.
The original M4A file was only 96MB. Whereas the WAV format you shared was 531MB more than 5 times the size. Having looked at the M4As they are actually AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) rather than Apple Lossless. Unhelpfully Apple adopt the same file extension for both formats. AAC files are lossy but produce a better sound quality than MP3s at the same bit rate. That’s why the spectral analysis showed frequencies topping 22kHz. Not bad for a lossy file!
The bottom line is that by processing the original AAC files as you have the provenance (as they say in the antiques world) of the original files has been lost. So apart from quintupling the overall file size you now have lossy files masquerading as lossless.
Sorry if it sounds like I’m lecturing you but I wanted to get across the importance of not tinkering with file formats when sharing if it can helped. Even if your intentions were honorable.

stylesforfree

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 05:36:29 PM »

Absolutely no need to apologise @stylesforfree. Sorry if my post came across rather strong.   I’m always interested to learn from others and to understand how or why they choose to process audio files in the way that they do. It may be you hadn’t realised that you could go from M4A direct to FLAC without loss of quality hence I thought it worth mentioning. As has been discussed many times on this forum WAV files are merely containers. So if the original M4As were of a lower quality converting them to WAV wouldn’t actually make any difference other than increasing the file size and depending on the method of converting the loss of tags.
The original M4A file was only 96MB. Whereas the WAV format you shared was 531MB more than 5 times the size. Having looked at the M4As they are actually AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) rather than Apple Lossless. Unhelpfully Apple adopt the same file extension for both formats. AAC files are lossy but produce a better sound quality than MP3s at the same bit rate. That’s why the spectral analysis showed frequencies topping 22kHz. Not bad for a lossy file!
The bottom line is that by processing the original AAC files as you have the provenance (as they say in the antiques world) of the original files has been lost. So apart from quintupling the overall file size you now have lossy files masquerading as lossless.
Sorry if it sounds like I’m lecturing you but I wanted to get across the importance of not tinkering with file formats when sharing if it can helped. Even if your intentions were honorable.

Ah! No worries.

I see, well thank you for filling me in, now I know! I appreciate the knowledge and information. So when looking at the files how can I know what's genuinely lossless? When you mentioned the fact that files usually convert to 700 to 1,600kbps it got me thinking.

Is identifying a lossless file purely dependant on the range of kbps coupled with it being 44.1Khz or higher? Im asking so I understand it better when dropping an audio file into something like SPEK or another frequency analyser.

nidostar

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 11:51:27 PM »
So when looking at the files how can I know what's genuinely lossless? When you mentioned the fact that files usually convert to 700 to 1,600kbps it got me thinking.

Is identifying a lossless file purely dependant on the range of kbps coupled with it being 44.1Khz or higher? Im asking so I understand it better when dropping an audio file into something like SPEK or another frequency analyser.
You raise an interesting question. Ordinarily you can identify a lossy file by the fact that the frequency analysis cuts off abruptly. But the AAC files in your second share show that there is no cut off and, as you say, the frequencies appear to reach all the way to the 22kHz point. If the files had been converted straight to FLAC format I wonder whether anyone would notice? Perhaps our resident experts (eg @likedeeler or @Psyclon) could offer their thoughts?

Di Granti

• Raider Of The Lost Ark Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 07:04:03 PM »
Thank you so much stylesforfree for this LP! I like so much the last 5/4 track
Follow Me on Twitter @javierdigranti