Author Topic: [Video Game Soundtrack] No One Lives Forever (2000)  (Read 343 times)

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
[Video Game Soundtrack] No One Lives Forever (2000)
« on: January 15, 2024, 03:08:38 PM »
Hello LMTers,

recently I was getting my old TOMB RAIDER II.ISO out of my archives and mounted it because I remembered the soundtrack of that game was regular CD audio playable on a CD player (called a mix-mode disc where track#1 is computer data and from track 2 onwards it's music). This way I could extract the music of Tomb Raider II from the disk image in the best quality possible. Anyways, I also remembered a game called "No One Lives Forever", which is a funky, Austin Power'ish themed first-person shooter game where you play as a female secret agent in the 1960s or something. The soundtrack is equally 60s jazz, bossa nova and all the stuff, and I also remembered the second disk was playable in my Panasonic stereo I had in my bedroom. Today I learned the second disk - which suffered from disk rot! - was actually a music CD in a pretty neat record design:

The soundtrack is obviously from 2000, but if you are not held back by that, I'd like to point you at this soundtrack of that game. In my opinion, it's well made. I personally don't like music that is from another decade and "mimics" said era, but if you are fine with that, I invite you to some 60s espionage-inspired soundtrack. So I looked it up and the whole NO ONE LIVES FOREVER franchise is in a license limbo where nobody really owns anything anymore, so they actually put the soundtrack as FLACs on the Internet Archive. As the Internet Archive is slow, I test-downloaded one FLAC and it shows 20kHz, so it's most likely a true FLAC file.

You can listen (and download) those tracks at the archive:

archive.org/details/VariousTheOperativeNoOneLivesForever

nidostar

Re: [Video Game Soundtrack] No One Lives Forever (2000)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 11:26:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing the link to this one Psyclon. I for one have no problem with the fact that this is from the 2000's and attempting to emulate 60's style spy movie music. I think it does it very well but then I'm a sucker for well orchestrated tracks with a generous amount of brass. In many ways it reminds me of David Whitaker's album Music To Spy By from 1966 which I listen to often. A pity the CD was damaged as we missed out on the first track. A very enjoyable listen in my view.