Author Topic: SONOTON - Alan Shearer - Winning  (Read 559 times)

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
SONOTON - Alan Shearer - Winning
« on: December 31, 2023, 01:33:41 PM »
Hello there, the last request in this year by me! :D

This is not even a new request, but the ridiculously poor work ethic (let's call it that way) of SONOTON stroke again.
I was listening to a track and it skips. In super duper rare occassions, the whole audio skips, e.g. when I pay and I am in a loading screen or when Windows suddenly starts an update or whatever so I never thought it could be the actual file. Well, turns out just like with "FUNKY PLANET", another SONOTON album, they ripped their disk and put the faulty tracks up on their website. The demo also skips, as well as the underscore. Luckily though, the part where "Drive Into The Future" skips thrice in a very annoying manner is in the outro that is a looped section. Now I'd like to cut it out as it's literally just a repeated section. On the checks for more skips, I also realized the whole album being pretty cool so I figured I'd might ask for one of the rare albums from Alan for SONOTON in its full form.

Thanks in advance and, depending on timezone, see you next year hopefully!

tonyc1971

Re: SONOTON - Alan Shearer - Winning
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 04:15:45 PM »
Hey Psyclon, I've got a copy of both these CD's and the links are below.  I couldn't see the track 'Drive Into The Future' on either of those albums, but could see 'Drive Into Tomorrow'.  Hope that's the one you mean.  Also, I've provided a link to 'Funky Planet (SCD 295).

SCD 042 - Alan Shearer - Winning (1989) [FLAC]
http$://mega.nz/folder/qp8lHKoY#G4gfiRNAyMYDEJ0HbbQgfQ

SCD 295 - Christian Kagi - Funky Planet [FLAC]
http$://mega.nz/folder/GldgzBbA#6nYTZoeMtgTKVRMm3_Kjtw

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 07:02:14 PM »
Damn, you overdelivered by 100%!!
ChunYinZi was so kind to provide me the very WAV material from SONOTON, so it's not his fault at all, but as said, SONOTON is weird. They don't even test-listen their stuff and the Christian Kägi album - you could see the faults in the waveform, those parts were literally filled blocks as it's just 100% volume screetching over several seconds in a periodic rhythm....

Your version is also clean with no skips, so your source is NOT from SONOTON but ripped from a clean CD!
Just to show you what I mean: sonoton.com/en/album/SCD0042/ Track 17 at minute 3:13 in the song going up to 3:20. These skips were driving me nuts and without your clean version, I'd simply cut the second loop off and fade out myself. But no need for this now!
Cool stuff!

And yes, it's "Driving Into Tomorrow". Ugh. D'OH!
Well, tomorrow is future...

It's fascinating that Alan Shearer's tracks with lots going on sound not as cool as his underscores. I always found his "percussion-less" tracks much better, and this album also shows. Got a few new gems for my collection! :)

EDIT: Unfortunately though, "FUNKY PLANET" seem to be from SONOTON, as the first track already is damaged and screeches your ears off at the very first second. But I got my main interest from Alan Shearer though! It might be important for people to maybe check and replace e.g. SLOBBERBASS (Track 1) which is completely broken and full of "ear rapes" but also the most funkies way of skips I heard: It sounds like different tracks mixing up, eg. at 2:30. Is this even possible on a CD??? I mean, suddenly there is a snippet of a jazz song or vibraphone in an album that doesn't even has this sound on it?!? What the fuck!

Anyways, you can see the problem on the waveform very clearly and I wonder if SONOTON whose bread and butter is music has SOME standards...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 07:54:46 PM by Psyclon »

lbjames

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 03:45:10 AM »

EDIT: Unfortunately though, "FUNKY PLANET" seem to be from SONOTON, as the first track already is damaged and screeches your ears off at the very first second. But I got my main interest from Alan Shearer though! It might be important for people to maybe check and replace e.g. SLOBBERBASS (Track 1) which is completely broken and full of "ear rapes" but also the most funkies way of skips I heard: It sounds like different tracks mixing up, eg. at 2:30. Is this even possible on a CD??? I mean, suddenly there is a snippet of a jazz song or vibraphone in an album that doesn't even has this sound on it?!? What the fuck!

Anyways, you can see the problem on the waveform very clearly and I wonder if SONOTON whose bread and butter is music has SOME standards...

instead of complaining here which is useless, please email sonoton, they will fix it.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 09:18:31 AM »
It is more of a warning then a complaint.

We all are aware of the faulty track lists (see Retronics cool post about the DAWN OF THE DEAD soundtrack), wrong track names (such as on some CAVENDISH albums on 5AlarmMusic), re-issued cover arts for no apparent reason and now tracks that are not even tested after being ripped. If you read carefully, track 1 on the very first second is already damaged. It would have taken them not even one full second to realize there is something wrong and they still publish whole albums with skips and blatant damages for licensing since years apparently. According to metatags from SONOTON, they use a software called SOUNDMINER. They literally could have seen (!) the faults in the audio...

In the end, there are faulty tracks that are in my users collections right now and that is an issue.

I also highly doubt they will fix it. If you are a non-customer and not in their database, they won't do jack. KPM is no different, they upload the cover art with stains from greasy fingers that once put the sleeve out to Spotify and Co. which makes me think if they just have kept one CD for themselves and that's it.

KPM artwork on their distributor pages and Spotify..

slax69

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 03:52:01 PM »
I assume that this is because hardly anyone still uses this music from the 80s/90s for today's productions. Maybe they just have it in their database to show how long they've been in the business. So it's more of a pure marketing strategy than an actual intention to offer these old albums as a product.

lbjames

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 04:48:13 PM »
This album Alan Shearer - Winning is on youtube / iTunes etc, so you are indeed a customer.

if you are not going to try, nothing is going to change.
if you attempt to email them, at least there's a chance.

Happy new year, and I hope you get what i mean. If not then i will just shut up and go away. Sorry.

hxxps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nUNQRMWmSljjJZauGpaPOR_gnIqk_ahMk

hxxps://music.apple.com/us/album/winning/1628443014

zoomo

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 07:41:18 PM »
Are you sure those issues mentioned aren't rip issues? I say this as I've just listened to the originals on Sonoton and Slobberbass in particular is issue free.