Author Topic: KPM and Bruton Music, Compare and Contrast  (Read 435 times)

musictheorist

KPM and Bruton Music, Compare and Contrast
« on: November 24, 2023, 10:03:13 PM »
KPM and Bruton Music are one of my two favorite labels. And it was very smart of APM when they first set up shop 40 years ago to acquire distribution rights to these two libraries.

In terms of composers, variety, presentation of the disc sleeves, and sound, what makes these two libraries similar and different from each other?

Enzito 🇧🇷

• Bruton Music Library's lover
Re: KPM and Bruton Music, Compare and Contrast
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 01:37:51 AM »
The main similarity, I believe, is in the composers. Many seem to have left KPM Music for Bruton. Alan Hawkshaw, John Charles Fiddy, Steve Gray... Which automatically makes the songs and the style very similar. What differentiates is, precisely, the difference in time. I may be talking nonsense, but KPM seems to me to be older than Bruton. Bruton started at the end of the 70s, inheriting the style of KPM tracks (as many of the composers were coming from there), but started to change a lot in the 80s.

Now, it's amazing how the two libraries complement each other. Just look at works like "SpongeBob SquarePants", and the Brazilian dubbing of "El Chavo del Ocho" and "El Chapulín Colorado".

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 01:16:26 PM »
Bruton was an off-shoot of KPM. You can read all about it in Oliver Lomax's book, The Mood Modern: The KPM and Bruton Music Libraries

Link: h--ps://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=VOCBK1802
| Stack |

Enzito 🇧🇷

• Bruton Music Library's lover
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 04:25:03 PM »
Bruton was an off-shoot of KPM. You can read all about it in Oliver Lomax's book, The Mood Modern: The KPM and Bruton Music Libraries

Link: h--ps://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=VOCBK1802
Thank you, my friend! I will read more soon, but I already suspected a possible relationship between the two.