Author Topic: How much do people really *listen* to their library collection?  (Read 1743 times)

kpmhill

Re: How much do people really *listen* to their library collection?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2023, 01:40:52 AM »
I likely have no hope of ever listening to my whole collection…

I've realized the same thing, even though I'm selective about what I add. Apple Music AKA iTunes has some cool "smart playlist" features that let you generate playlists on-the-fly, selected by genre & other criteria that change over time. Like a super cool radio station always ready to dig into the collection & serve up hidden gems.

est2016

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2023, 05:36:37 PM »
How much do I listen to my library collection? Not much, all things considered.
Let's say I have a job, a family, and I have to rest 8 hours a day. That leaves less than 8 hours a day free for all other activities (for example sports, social life, cooking, other hobbies, family...)  and perhaps some more in the weekends.
Of these 8 hours how much is dedicated to listening to music? 1, 2 , max 3 hours during work days, a little more in weekends or vacations.
Of this music , how much is library music? Hmm, if one listens to all kinds of music, library is a small percentage.
Given that nowadays I can download tons of stuff of previously obscure library or other kinds of  music , I have a bunch of it in my P.C. that I still haven't gotten round to listening.
Then of course it should be defined what "listen" means.
It's one thing having music of any kind (be it classical, pop, rock, jazz, library or whatever) just playing in the background while doing other stuff, like house chores, texting on the phone, reading or surfing the internet and it's an entirely different thing to give your undivided attention to music without any distractions. That kind of "quality time" with music is precious and far too little.
I prefer , when I get the chance, to dedicate my time to the second kind of listening, otherwise it seems to me it's the same like just turning on the radio just to have some music on. Speaking of which,  I wonder , is there's an internet or other radio station that plays library music 24/7?

kpmhill

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2023, 08:19:12 AM »
It's one thing having music […] just playing in the background while doing other stuff […] and it's an entirely different thing to give your undivided attention to music…

For a lot of LM, working as background is something I like quite a lot. It's enjoyable with a low cognitive load. Not something I always look for, but very nice in the right situation.