Author Topic: Duplicate audio in some KPMLP tracks online  (Read 3016 times)

kablamatic

Duplicate audio in some KPMLP tracks online
« on: August 09, 2023, 05:37:56 AM »
So I've noticed on APM Music and KPM Music's websites that there are two albums with tracks that have different titles with their respective track duration and description, but with the same audio. The first one is KPM 1039 "LIGHT IMITATIONS - VOL. III", in which "Walks For Ormot" by James Clarke has the same audio as "Fun on the Run" by Steve Gray. I had recently downloaded a vinyl rip of "Walks For Ormot" on Soulseek to verify this and found that the audio in that track is, in fact, completely different to what you hear on APM. Must be a mistake on the web developer/programmer's part for adding the wrong audio.

The second album, KPM 1329 "The Editor's Companion - Volume 4", however, has an even greater issue. I feel like some versions of a similar track sound completely the same, if not any slightly different. So I was wondering if anyone has a copy of KPM 1329 lying around and could possibly rip the correct versions (in parentheses) of these tracks to avoid confusion: "Cartoon Coda" (d, e, i, + j), "Lighting the Fuse" (b + c), "Shock Horror" (b + c), "Comic Tension" (a - f), "Nice Neighbors" (c + f), "Down the Pan" (b + c), "Family Life" (c, d, f, + g), and "Fairy Dust" (c + d). Only the digital version originally downloaded by BlackwatchPlaid has been shared by numerous users on Soulseek, but no vinyl rip of this album exists on there sadly.

Many thanks in advance! This has been getting frustrating for me much recently.

nidostar

Re: Duplicate audio in some KPMLP tracks online
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 08:56:00 AM »
Your post is an interesting though slightly annoying discovery.Re KPM 1039 I have a handful of examples of both pieces of music sourced from shares on LMT and they are identical. The same is true of the many versions I found on YT and elsewhere on the internet. Walks For Ormot seems to have become the Where's Wally of library music! I wonder if Retronic has the LP of KPM 1039? If they are different on that it would seem to confirm that the error crept in when KPM digitised the tracks. But, a bit iike a virus, one song seems to have obliterated another. I wonder if there are other examples? Another slight niggle I've noticed is that some websites quote the title of the album as Light Intimations rather than Light Imitations.

I don't have a copy of KPM 1329 so cannot comment. But, again, I wonder if Retronic has a copy in vinyl that could put these issues to bed?

I don't know how approachable KPM are but would it be worth asking them if they are aware of these apparent errors?

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 02:05:48 PM »
So I've noticed on APM Music and KPM Music's websites that there are two albums with tracks that have different titles with their respective track duration and description, but with the same audio. The first one is KPM 1039 "LIGHT IMITATIONS - VOL. III", in which "Walks For Ormot" by James Clarke has the same audio as "Fun on the Run" by Steve Gray.

Wow. So indeed. That's not good. Thanks for sharing this bit of sleuthing, kablamatic.
| Stack |

kablamatic

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 08:03:21 PM »
So I just emailed APM Music about this situation and I'm awaiting a response.

Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 08:14:21 PM »
I do have both LPs. Can check tomorrow

KPMFan1000

• lg78
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 12:40:11 AM »
And on the Coloursound LP "Pleasure Trip" Ales Sigmond's "Kokiriko" & Gregor Narholz's "Glucksbringer" Have the same audio.
KPM owns Coloursound, so it's probably the same case.
LibraryGuy78

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 08:56:46 AM »
KPM 1039:  It is Intimations and not Imitations as stated on Amazon.

Here is 'Walks For Ormot', along with 'Fun On The Run' for good measure.
pixeldrain.com/u/EHb1ZrQF

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 09:09:43 AM »

KPM 1329:  Annoying my laptop is dropping out bits of the file so tracks are missed- A42 and The Down the Pan I think.
Hopefully there's enough there to do most of it and at least check- I would've done them again but it's all switched off now- that laptop takes an age to open so will need to be another day.

pixeldrain.com/u/Lr3gZeyB

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 09:19:43 AM »
CS 75 - Pleasure Trip:
A3 and B3: pixeldrain.com/u/i5RuuK9r

I've seen this error before where someone is labelling on a cue list and they write the track from the wrong side down and all sorts of confusion ensues.  I'm sure the original handwritten Dawn Of The Dead cue sheet had this error on there.  Similarly, in Russ Meyer's 'Vixen' where she does "the fish dance" he uses A1 Detroit from Mini-Skirt on De Wolfe, but B1 is called Striptease which is most likely what took the editor to that record.  Perhaps they used it thinking it was called 'Striptease' or they just put the wrong side on and decided it went well with the scene.  These little tid-bits fascinate me.

musictheorist

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 05:07:45 PM »

KPM 1329:  Annoying my laptop is dropping out bits of the file so tracks are missed- A42 and The Down the Pan I think.
Hopefully there's enough there to do most of it and at least check- I would've done them again but it's all switched off now- that laptop takes an age to open so will need to be another day.

pixeldrain.com/u/Lr3gZeyB

Comic Tension (b) from the digital album was likely duplicated from the CD version of KPM 1328/KPM 1329.

And I found the missing track from the 1986 Beatrix Potter video. Family Life (c).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 05:27:34 PM by musictheorist »

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 05:33:12 PM »
Bonus 🙂

nidostar

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 06:00:27 PM »
Thanks, Retro, for providing both examples and helping to put this issue to bed. I agree it should be Intimations in keeping with Volumes I, II and IV in the series even though I erroneously appeared to be arguing the opposite in my post above! The curious thing is that APM's own website and (in France) KPM's representative site MYMA wrongly lists the album as Imitations. No wonder there are numerous examples of "Light Imitations" on YT. I therefore fear for the future for Walks For Ormot and that it may completely disappear without trace much as the Maya civilisation did!! Your share may be the last living example of that track. :)

musictheorist

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 06:06:44 PM »
Thanks, Retro, for providing both examples and helping to put this issue to bed. I agree it should be Intimations in keeping with Volumes I, II and IV in the series even though I erroneously appeared to be arguing the opposite in my post above! The curious thing is that APM's own website and (in France) KPM's representative site MYMA wrongly lists the album as Imitations. No wonder there are numerous examples of "Light Imitations" on YT. I therefore fear for the future for Walks For Ormot and that it may completely disappear without trace much as the Maya civilisation did!! Your share may be the last living example of that track. :)

About KPM 1329, the tracks that have been looped were replaced by the CD version of the album. The vinyl tracks might have conflicted with the metadata on EMI/KPM's behalf.

musictheorist

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 06:12:01 PM »
Bonus 🙂

What's also missing is
A42 - Comic Tension (a)
A54 - Nice Neighbours (c)
B16 - Down the Pan (b)

Lord Thames

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 06:18:20 PM »
The digital version of KPM 1223 Small Is Beautiful also had a fault, 'Praying Mantis' and 'Queen Ant' are the same track repeated - I think Queen Ant is the one that's been missed off