Author Topic: Die Musik von Sat.1 (1991)  (Read 1453 times)

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
Die Musik von Sat.1 (1991)
« on: July 14, 2023, 07:29:29 PM »

Sat.1 is a private German TV station that had some famous shows in their repertoire. Eventually, they'd release a disk with some of their theme songs. While the release year is 1991, I guess some of the tracks are actually late 80s productions. What I enjoy about these tracks is that they are so "happy", like watching television is a thing where the family gathers unlike the passiveness of today. For some people these sounds are also very nostalgic and emotional as many people from the East of Germany could watch "Glücksrad" (Wheel of Fortune) and saw all those household appliances that they never had behind the iron curtain and the overall "consumerism" they often longed for.

At first, I didn't want to share this disk - not because I am selfish, but mostly because I thought "Why would an Aussie or U.S. American want to listen to very typical Western Europe TV themes". But eventually I thought it is because of this disconnect with the actual shows - I barely remember those myself as I am born 1990 - that you might actually see this disk without all the possible emotions from a time "when the world was alright and TV good". If you are from Germany's neighouring countries you might have heard similar sounds from your TV speakers.

"Do you really want a CD drive? Who needs that?" - The guy where I bought the parts for my 2.300€ gaming PC. In the end, it's the 30€ drive that is the MVP!

I bought the disk after coming back to the Youtube video over and over, and I just enjoyed that sound. Klaus Peter Sattler surely has a very unique sound. But I spotted another well-known name on the sleeve - Peter Janda! A name very common in so many productions, usually with Fritz Köberl (SONOTON, ORANGE POWER, AZUR).

The disk was in pristine condition (unlike the jewelcase which snapped right in my hands into 3 pieces, almost comedically all over my desk..), but still there is some odd drop in quality here and there and some wonky stereo panning. I, for myself, surely will tame that a bit - but of course, before that, I have the clean chain of CD > WAV > FLAC (best quality) setting going on.

> Alles für Sie  ["Everything for you"] - 3:17 - 789 kbps

Slow and calm rock ballad with overdrive guitar, gentle and high-reverb drums and overall spacious sound. Accoustic guitar part in the middle section.

> Auf Videosehen [Auf Wiedersehen = "Goodbye", a wordplay with "video"] - 3:56 - 920 kbps
Typical late 80s/early 90s TV vibes. Catchy dance beat with synthesizer background, relaxed guitar and saxophone lead.

> Bin auf Dein Bild unheimlich wild [I can't even explain really what that means] - 4:03 - 866 kbps

Not sure what this TV show is about.. and.. I really can't explain this track. It is one of these pretty pointless German rap tracks that were pretty common in other variants. It is, to me, a bit nostalgic, very shortlived German niche sound, but for everyone else, it's probably just strange. Lots of sampling going on at the middle.

This gives strength/power
Whole Europe
Televerse
Super Television
Emotion

Whole Europe (Mega mix)
Televerse (Super tipps)
Super Television (Image vision)
Emotion (in picture and sound)

Bin auf Dein Bild unheimlich wild (Can be loosely translated as: "I am really after your image/picture")

> Bingo? Bingo! - 2:28 - 889 kbps
Triumphant synthesizer brass fanfare intro changing pace at 0:30. Positive, fast TV music with synthesizer string accents. It heavilly changes quality which is somewhat a bummer and I wonder if they just lost the master tapes and took the broadcast quality and stitched it together.

> Deutschland, Deutschland - 1:06 - 793 kbps
Odd interpretation of German's national anthem. I could only imagine they'd play it before the station shutdown for the night or something, as last tune. I don't know though if my country ever was that patriotic. Would explain the 1-minute queue though.

> Fort Boyard - 2:39 - 854 kbps
Italo disco beats with "adventourus" sound with change in mood at 0:47 to a more serious and then relieved tone, almost as if the adventurer had to overcome an obstacle and made it through. Synthesizter (?) eagle/seagull noises ocassionally.

> Glücksrad [Wheel of Fortune] - 3:51 - 901 kbps
Oh, the behemoth of German evening TV! Flashy, fast-paced synthesizer strings and orchestra hits just as you'd expect to a show that will advertise washing machines and espresso makers. The track also contains very much "Peter Janda"-esque sounds [check "Firebird" from "AZUR - BACKGROUND 3"]. The second third has a catchy saxophone solo which later turns into an equally fun synthesizer lead and ends with a overdrive guitar theme. Overall a very joyful sound that I vaguely remember when I was veeery young...

> Lass die Bälle fallen [Drop the balls] - 2:56 - 952 kbps

The reason why I bought the disk :D This happy Italo disco / synthesizer track with stompy dance/disco beat and synth bassline, paired with synth brass, guitars and almost "cute" synth string accents and pizzicatos remembers me - again and obviously - to German early-90s music. If you are from the Netherlands, you might have heard very similiar sounds. (I could imagine this to be an intro to one of the many German Linda de Mol shows)

> Nimm mich mit [Take me along] - 3:00 - 961 kbps
Very 80s pop theme with thick Van Halen-esque polysynth lead and stompy disco drums that turns into a saxophone track later on.

> Saxophonie - 2:03 - 672 kbps
Slow and melancholic, sorrowful late night saxophone track. Skyline at night, empty streets...

> Sternenmelodie [Star melody] - 2:49 - 784 kbps
Cute and innocent synthesizer track with the typical melody you hear so much on this disk (which I like).

> Supermänner [Super Men] - 3:33 - 889 kbps
Super triumphant intro turns into slap bass-driven strong rhythm section. Not sure what "Krytpon Factor" is. But the power and "sports" theme that comes with it makes me think it's surely not a cooking show..

> Wau, Miau und Tirelli [Bark, Meow and Chirp] 2:39 - 919 kbps
"Oh look, it's a show about animals, so make it cute and funny". The results can be heard here. I do not want to discredit this track, but this is mostly how it played out. Stompy, repetitive beat with overdrive guitar and calmer, cuter middle section.

File downloaded and tested.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 07:44:10 PM by Psyclon »

nidostar

Re: Die Musik von Sat.1 (1991)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 08:05:58 PM »
Hey Psyclon, glad you're still with us! Way back when the Astra satellite used to broadcast analog signals I used to watch Sat.1 from time to time. Admittedly not to the point where any of the programme themes became that familiar to me that I would sing them in the shower (!) but I am sure the music on this CD will help bring back fond memories of life before digital TV. Thanks very much for sharing.

hilbert

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 09:03:07 PM »
Wow, this is certainly interesting and may even bring back some memories! Thanks, Psyclon!

KPMFan1000

• lg78
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 09:51:50 PM »
Nice find, Thanks!
LibraryGuy78

Fuzi

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 03:57:36 AM »
Good job on the archeology. While not so much my cup of sound, I admire the dedication you've put into it and enjoyed the presentation of your findings 8]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 08:28:06 AM by Fuzi »
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

tonyc1971

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 11:18:28 AM »
Thanks for this CD, most of the tunes aren't familiar - besides Deutschland, Deutschland and Glucksrad  but would explain when I was channel zapping in the late 80's and early 90's the music on Sat 1 was similar in terms of synths used.  Below is a video to one of their closedown routines and plays the national anthem at 6:17 from the CD.  I've always liked the music used for their start up and closedowns with the differing slides showing different times of the day.  Presumably, Satler and Janda were responsible for that tune also, but has evaded me tracking down the title.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 11:20:51 AM by tonyc1971 »

Dyo

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 09:17:37 AM »
Psyclon,
What a great find this is, just great.
You said, At first, I didn't want to share this disk - not because I am selfish, but mostly because I thought "Why would an Aussie or U.S. American want to listen to very typical Western Europe TV themes"
Well I am an Aussie and I thank you so very much for sharing this.

Thanks again
Dyo
Aussieland

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 08:35:20 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your kind words.
Psyclon,
What a great find this is, just great.
You said, At first, I didn't want to share this disk - not because I am selfish, but mostly because I thought "Why would an Aussie or U.S. American want to listen to very typical Western Europe TV themes"
Well I am an Aussie and I thank you so very much for sharing this.

Thanks again
Dyo
Aussieland

At first I did not know "Aussie" is kind of a slang term. I just read it everywhere so I didn't think it might have some negativitivy swinging with it. Was not my intentation. The reason what I meant by that is that, to my ear, the TV theme songs from different parts of the world seem to be vastly different. If someone says: "I have music from Thai/India TV shows from 1985" I would frankly not try that at all because I can for 99% certainty say that I would not like the musical style there.

This disk has a very German/Dutch sound to it and even I, admittedly, think some of the tracks are just not good or sound pretty cheesy TV broadcast stuff. It is kind of "reversed library music" as it was commissioned by the TV station so the songs have to follow a certain theme tailored for that show - something people can't relate to if they haven't seen it. But as Greta said in another thread, people approach music differently, and who am I to judge what people like or not. I like the disk, and every other person that finds a track he or she likes from my share makes it even more of a win! :)

keir

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 12:50:11 AM »
I think that while some people will be less interested in something like this because it's not part of their culture other people will be MORE interested in it for the same reason. If someone said "I have music from Thai/India TV shows from 1985" I would be very interested!

Retromatic

• Curator of musical oddities
    • CD Inventory
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 05:03:01 PM »
Great stuff / thanks for sharing

baobab13

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 07:08:26 PM »
Not the kind of stuff that I like at first sight but your classy presentation made me want to go and have a listen!
Thanks Psyclon!

danthemusiclover

• DMG
    • Eternas Ondas Musicales
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 10:50:54 AM »
Thanks Psyclon  :)
LMT my safe place.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 06:52:39 PM »
Great stuff / thanks for sharing

I had so much fun with the Gabriel disks you recently shared, it's nice that you could get something from this disk!

Also thanks to the others.  ;D As said, I keep my eyes open for some certain CDs that might reach the broader audience, but sometimes you are out of luck and often the shipping - either cost or restrictions - keep them a bit out of reach. I am sure especially the hunters and collectors on LMT sure do understand  . . .