Author Topic: Bruton? train theme used for BBC Nationwide British tour  (Read 663 times)

stevelb

Bruton? train theme used for BBC Nationwide British tour
« on: July 11, 2023, 11:17:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is a very obscure request, and I have tried time and time again to get an answer with no results, but I thought it was worth another try. You will probably need to be of a certain age to remember this one, if you do at all!

Back in the 1970s there was a BBC news magazine programme on BBC1 called Nationwide. One of its longterm presenters was Michael Barratt. In the summer of 1977 (when I was 15) he was about to leave the programme and for his last week the BBC gave him a send-off by giving him a train tour of Britain. There was a particular piece of music that was used as a sort of theme for these special programmes. It is hard to describe but had a beat that fitted train travel very well with a sort of syncopated rhythm matched with a tune played on possibly a harpsichord or similar-sounding keyboard/synthesizer. I liked it so much that I wrote to the BBC asking where the music was from. They replied saying it was taken from a library record that wasn't for sale generally. Once I had found out what a library record was it seemed impossible to get hold of it. However, I held on to the letter as it said the name of the library, the code/number and the artist/composer.

Unfortunately the letter got lost in a move many years ago and I tried to remember the details but the only thing I think I remember seeing was 'Bruton', which of course meant nothing to me at the time. Anyway, since the internet developed I have been trying to find this track which amazingly I can still hear in my head and would know straightaway.

If anyone reading this has any ideas please let me know. I have tried the BBC Archive but, although helpful, they didn't have a copy of my letter or response (not surprising given the length of time that had passed). The only other thing I can add is that it may be by Francis Monkman, as it seems similar to his style and also he used to play harpsichord, but none of his tracks I have heard so far are the right one.

Thanks for reading this and if anyone has any ideas whatsoever I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Steve

Lord Thames

Re: Bruton? train theme used for BBC Nationwide British tour
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 11:49:10 PM »
It was 'Theme From A Non-Existent TV Series ' by Elton John, from the Blue Moves album.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 06:18:41 AM »
Wow. Nice one LT. if that’s the one I guess that made your day, Steve.

Dyo

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 09:23:28 AM »
Hi Steve, I have the cd's here but did not realize that this was used on the BBC.
Great cd's with good instrumentals
Greetings
Dyo
Aussieland

stevelb

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 10:58:10 AM »
Many thanks Lord Thames. Yes that's it!!;D No wonder I couldn't find it among library tracks. I suppose the BBC reply was about another piece of music used during the programme. I know certain albums by Elton but not this one, and it doesn't really sound like one of his pieces of music, so it never occurred to me that it might be him. Amazing to get an answer after all this time. You are right Retronic, it has made my day. Isn't the internet fantastic?! If it had been around back in the day I would have quickly found out. Oh well. Have a great day everyone.

Lord Thames

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 12:22:34 PM »
The same album has the old closing theme from Top Gear, which was another favourite of mine - I wish Elton had done more instrumentals like that, or even some library music!

Happy to have helped out!

stevelb

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 12:59:42 PM »
Totally agree Lord Thames. I love his instrumentals. He has a great voice of course but instrumentally most of his tracks are interesting, high quality productions.

nidostar

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 01:34:19 PM »
The same album has the old closing theme from Top Gear, which was another favourite of mine - I wish Elton had done more instrumentals like that, or even some library music!
Out Of The Blue. Yes, what a great piece of music that is. More jazz than pop. Couldn't agree more about EJ's ability to write really good instrumentals.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 01:36:01 PM by nidostar »