Author Topic: The Library Music Film  (Read 45421 times)

FictionOfColours

• @ Rateyourmusic.com
Re: The Library Music Film
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2019, 06:16:10 AM »
Dang, maybe this won’t interest me much after all. It’s really too bad, I was optimistic from the trailers having seen all those composers discussing things..

jackie kennedy

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 06:32:05 PM »
the library music film is having it's rome premiere at piero umiliani's sound workshop studio in februrary!!!

joakim95

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
What about the other Library music documentary "Unusual Sounds: The Hidden History of Library Music"?

Looks interesting to me :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:01:56 AM by stackjackson »

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2020, 05:00:54 PM »
Narholz himself! Wicked. Never seen this video before, but the book was great.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:03:19 PM by Mr »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2020, 04:03:05 AM »
Cool clip, but I don't think this is a full documentary. Just an ad for the Unusual Sounds book/LP.
| Stack |

milliondollars

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2020, 07:01:38 AM »
Narholz himself! Wicked. Never seen this video before, but the book was great.

also, i did not see this before. thanks a lot! he should have made a movie, too..

kosmiksoul

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 08:07:52 AM »
I would love to watch this documentary. I have been searching on the web but nothing found...

https://thelibrarymusicfilm.bandcamp.com/merch/the-library-music-film-dvd-pal-2

The Library Music Film DVD (PAL)
PLEASE NOTE: SHIPPING WILL BE AROUND NOVEMBER 9, 2018
THIS IS A DVD ONLY RELEASE THERE ARE NO DLs AND NO STREAMS!!!!!!
SAME GOES FOR THE LP
Running time 113 min approx. plus 46 min. extras,, Language: English, PAL - includes 16 page booklet with photos and liner notes

milliondollars

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 08:18:15 AM »
this is still available for purchase in physical format and as far as i remember, the documentary is up on amazon prime.

Fuzi

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2023, 12:30:55 PM »
I am amazed at the level of creativity and musicianship in library musicians: They would hammer 4-5 sessions in a day and it had to be right on the first take! Ok, they were allowed a couple rehearsals:) but when the tape was running, there really was no time for hesitation.

You can watch in whole The Library Music Film here hoops://vk.com/video-5456_456239077
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

nidostar

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2023, 03:50:31 PM »
Thank you so much Fuzi for the link. I have just spent the last two hours watching it. I'd not heard of it before (despite this thread - not paying attention again!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also learned a great deal. Brilliant!

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2023, 04:01:32 PM »
I like to watch it every 6 months.

likedeeler

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2023, 09:53:11 PM »
You can watch in whole The Library Music Film here ...

Cheers for the link!

Just watched the whole thing (in the second half I fast forwarded it a few times). Some interesting reminiscences and soundbites there.

Too many fanboys the film could have done without, the presenter in particular. I did like the Iggy tribute act though.

Constantly pouring music over interviews is a no-no.

All in all it feels a tad disparate, lacking ambition apart from the desire to be cool, lacking actual interest in the subject, lacking a storyline and wanting a tight edit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 04:51:03 PM by likedeeler »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2023, 11:47:10 PM »
This was my review of the movie back in 2019 (posted earlier on this thread). I still stand by my original response.

Finally, I was able to see this film. I was surprised no one here has yet commented on the film's content or quality, but now maybe I understand why...
I certainly applaud the producers of the film for their vision and energy -- like most of us on this board, I was thrilled to hear that such a movie was in the works.
There are some fine moments in the film, but honestly, it was a huge disappointment.
The film is basically a series of fast-edited vignettes of DJs (mostly from L.A.) talking about their records and how cool and funky library is for sampling, interspersed with the occasional interview of a famous library composer/musician (often unidentified and never properly introduced) reminiscing about some funny thing that happened in the studio back in the day. There is *no* STORY here, no narrative, no frame to fit these vignettes into a coherent account of what library music is, the business, the personalities, etc. etc.
Someone who knew nothing about library music going into this will learn very little about it from this movie, apart from finding out that certain record collectors obsess over it.
In my humble opinion, this was a tragic missed opportunity to really introduce and educate audiences about a truly fascinating, but still relatively unknown world of music.
| Stack |

likedeeler

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2023, 06:31:45 PM »
A missed opportunity, indeed.

The attention whores who made this  -- which cannot earnestly be called a documentary -- wanted nothing more than to show off, drop names and spend a few sunny days in London, Paris and Rome. In all other regards they obviously didn't care.

Zero research. "Jungle obsession" gets mentioned, and all the presenter (think Tiny Tim, with a bigger guitar) has to say about the composers is that "not much is known about them".

Yes, darling. If you're too blasé to seek out knowledge you'll never know much about anything.

(I just found an interview with Hannelore Warner, widow of Eddie Warner: https://spaceoddities.bandcamp.com/album/space-oddities-studio-ganaro-feat-roger-roger-nino-nardini-eddie-warner-1972-1982. Scroll to the bottom of the page.)

The Warners are German. Eddie had to leave Germany when Hitler took power and went to France. There, he later met Hannelore and became friends with Roger Roger and Nino Nardini (Georges Teperino). Then he founded L'Illustration Musicale. Hannelore took care of business, Eddie was responsible for the artistic output, collaborating with Roger and Teperino. They were classically trained musicians who became interested in electronic instruments and bought a lot of them for their studio, in the 1960s and '70s. There's a fantastic story and an entire documentary in this alone.

What about German labels and composers? All that the film manages to come up with is how good Selected Sound's record covers look on the shelf (agreed!), and "Klaus Weiss is great". Agreed as well. So, then?

They simply didn't feel like going to boring Hamburg, Frankfurt or Munich. If there were library labels in Berlin, they might have made the trip. But there aren't any.

What about the rappers and hip-hoppers who are the apex predators in the library music world? I would have loved to hear what they think about the topic besides "fab record". That would have been a lot more worthwhile than watching random collectors holding their trophies into the camera.

All a bit lazy -- a laziness enabled by crowdfunding. If the makers had had to get the funding from someone personally this film would have come out very different, or not at all. Nobody in his right mind would give more than a tenner for such a clueless, self-serving approach. But ask a million people, and it's not a problem.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 04:34:01 PM by likedeeler »

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2023, 07:25:01 PM »
I suppose it depends on where you're coming from.  I like it (for the most part) for a few reasons.  I love seeing people's collections and especially their reactions to the music- Mike Wallace talking about listening to 'Dawn Mists' and welling up is a major highlight because I have had that feeling listening to library music (Brian Bennett's 'Image' does that to me too).   I had experiences seeing adverts in newspapers and rushing to people's houses to buy old records and know lots of people who found mega haul in skips or at tips so those stories were very relatable.  If people have mainly or only enjoyed library music as digital files this likely means nothing.  It was highly enjoyable to me.
The hip hip connection and sampling was massively interesting to me and I also loved the constant soundtrack with the stickers appearing to tag the track names- it would have driven me mad trying to watch and trying to remember tracks at the same time.   It was pacey and I think rightly so as it needs to have some appeal to a nee audience and not just a love song to the converted.   If it was all about composers and their lives I wouldn't have enjoyed it- the record collections and fan stories are far more interesting to me.
I fast forward bits and find some of it annoying but overall I like it.