Author Topic: The Library Music Film  (Read 42718 times)

stackjackson

• Administrator
Re: The Library Music Film
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 02:40:07 PM »
Any word on whether this film will eventually be released worldwide on DVD or streaming service?
| Stack |

le_tomval

• Tom Val Records
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
Yes there will be a DVD release along with the vinyl.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 11:52:47 PM »
Yes there will be a DVD release along with the vinyl.

So has anyone been successful getting hold of this DVD? Is it available in the U.S.? I can't find it.
| Stack |

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 12:27:47 AM »
The DVD was on sale at the Nov 6th viewing in London. Saw the film on the day so only watched the extras on the DVD so far.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 03:02:04 AM »
The DVD was on sale at the Nov 6th viewing in London. Saw the film on the day so only watched the extras on the DVD so far.

What are the extras?
| Stack |

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »
Just short bits of interviews not in the final cut- nothing amazing. There's a fair few though.

elifunk

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 03:22:51 PM »
i've seen it 3 times, ordered my copy from Germany last november via discogs.

FictionOfColours

• @ Rateyourmusic.com
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
Honestly disappointed in the lack of 80s tracks in the compilation but well, i guess it's no surprise...

Col Wolfe

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 01:59:01 PM »
Honestly disappointed in the lack of 80s tracks in the compilation but well, i guess it's no surprise...

The ‘Unusual Sounds’ comp makes up for that  :)
www spokerecords co uk

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »
Finally, I was able to see this film. I was surprised no one here has yet commented on the film's content or quality, but now maybe I understand why...
I certainly applaud the producers of the film for their vision and energy -- like most of us on this board, I was thrilled to hear that such a movie was in the works.
There are some fine moments in the film, but honestly, it was a huge disappointment.
The film is basically a series of fast-edited vignettes of DJs (mostly from L.A.) talking about their records and how cool and funky library is for sampling, interspersed with the occasional interview of a famous library composer/musician (often unidentified and never properly introduced) reminiscing about some funny thing that happened in the studio back in the day. There is *no* STORY here, no narrative, no frame to fit these vignettes into a coherent account of what library music is, the business, the personalities, etc. etc.
Someone who knew nothing about library music going into this will learn very little about it from this movie, apart from finding out that certain record collectors obsess over it.
In my humble opinion, this was a tragic missed opportunity to really introduce and educate audiences about a truly fascinating, but still relatively unknown world of music.

| Stack |

a8detective

• a8detective - YouTube
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 06:48:22 PM »
The film is basically a series of fast-edited vignettes of DJs (mostly from L.A.) talking about their records and how cool and funky library is for sampling[.]

Thanks for the review, stack. I was afraid this was going to be the case since a disproportionate amount of the trailer focuses on the people who sample it and not the people who made it. Though, the interviewer and/or filmmakers seem to have created a good atmosphere and the composers look happy and excited to talk about their music.

Has this been released in the USA yet? I still would like to get a copy.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 06:50:09 PM »
Yes, everyone is very happy in the film. The composers are all clearly loving the nostalgia.

I got tired of waiting for a US release, so ordered the DVD from the UK. Had to buy a cheap multi-region DVD player to watch it, though. The DVD is in PAL format.
| Stack |

jackie kennedy

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 10:40:18 PM »
Finally, I was able to see this film. I was surprised no one here has yet commented on the film's content or quality, but now maybe I understand why...
I certainly applaud the producers of the film for their vision and energy -- like most of us on this board, I was thrilled to hear that such a movie was in the works.
There are some fine moments in the film, but honestly, it was a huge disappointment.
The film is basically a series of fast-edited vignettes of DJs (mostly from L.A.) talking about their records and how cool and funky library is for sampling, interspersed with the occasional interview of a famous library composer/musician (often unidentified and never properly introduced) reminiscing about some funny thing that happened in the studio back in the day. There is *no* STORY here, no narrative, no frame to fit these vignettes into a coherent account of what library music is, the business, the personalities, etc. etc.
Someone who knew nothing about library music going into this will learn very little about it from this movie, apart from finding out that certain record collectors obsess over it.
In my humble opinion, this was a tragic missed opportunity to really introduce and educate audiences about a truly fascinating, but still relatively unknown world of music.

thanks for your review and reminding me about this documentary.

i watched this late last year (i think) and thought- while interesting seeing some of the people involved- i wish there was more footage and information about the process most of the artists took, how they got into library, background information, their lives etc.
it didn't feel like a documentary but more like supplementary material where someone says "after that we went to france and met up with [artist] and let's hear what he has to say"

it reminded me of a an old german programme where they'd give people 60 seconds to show everyone a day in their life.

i think it all amounts to the producers lack of experience with filmmaking. but i still appreciated it and glad i donated money to the campaign. if i can say one thing is that this documentary was done with a lot of love and respect for the artists and the music and that was beautiful to see

milliondollars

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2019, 07:52:05 AM »
totally agree with the previous comments. really love the production with all the little details like the name of every background cue being displayed and so on. this was done in style for sure!  8]

unfortunately there is way too much sort-of-bragging and pointless comments of people who really do not mean anything to library music at all.

like it was said before, it would be much better to have these features replaced by informative background by the artists, producers, label owners, cover disigners and so on...

all in all we should be thankful for this still. as it's one of a kind!

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2019, 07:57:44 PM »
Now available to download on iTunes, Amazon, etc. for those who haven’t seen it.