Author Topic: Favorite track titles?  (Read 19169 times)

apmnut

Favorite track titles?
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
Which track titles stick out to you? Which ones do you find bizarre or interesting? Post them here. Here's a few titles that I especially like:
Bear on a Buggy (Harmonic CBL 501)
Boy Meets Coil (Cinemusic CMR 409)
Diesel Driven Doo-Dah Day! (Boosey and Hawkes SBH 3086)
I'm Behind the Barn, Mother (Conroy BMLP 083)
Little Dick (Harmonic CBG 667)
Love on the Duckpond (Conroy BMLP 083)
Meteors at Play (Cinemusic CMR 410)
On Ze Boulevard (Cinemusic CMR 214)

Mr

• Administrator
Re: Favorite track titles?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 01:29:58 AM »
Cool topic, you really got me thinking here!

Granted, I've always been a bit unsure as to whether (and to what degree) the composers themselves actually picked the titles for their works, or the producers/labels made them after the fact, but I find KPM has some of my all-time favourite ones;
"Liquid Sunshine" and "Half Forgotten Daydreams", "Rocky Mountain Runabout", "Frozen Steam", "Commerce in Rhythm", "Tropical Canvas", "Days of Orange Squash", "Sunny Laze", "Roof of the World"

There's also "Slight Misgivings", "Vine Covered Mortgage" (Bill Loose), "Plastic Dream" (Andre Mikola), "Sunken Cathedral" (Paul Williams"), "Don't Shoot the Arranger!" (Toni Campo), "Do I Have to Boogaloo?" (Syd Dale), "Keep West for Paradise" (Dick Walter), "Flat Battery Blues" (Eric Siday), "Industrial Melange" (John Scott), "Ad Hoc Boogie" (Frank Sterling), "Freaky Lilt" (David Johnson), "No Flowers on Venus" (Sven Libaek), "Never Take Yes for an Answer" (Mel Dean), "Love and Tedium" (Rigol), "Crystal Mind: Huge Ship" (Edouard Scotto), "Remembering the Future" (Georges Rodi), "Toy Emergency Truck" (Roland Hanneman)

"Occhi socchiusi" (Marcabru), "Ranocchie maldicenti" (Bruno Nicolai), "Alghe romantiche" (Amedeo Tommasi), "Una sigaretta per due" (Angelo Brigada), "Menestrelli ubriachi" (Paolo Renosto), "Transistor Boogie" (Mitridate), "Puntilistica... come un sospiro" (Romolo Grano), "Immagini sospese" (Giuliano Sorgini), "Una bionda ossigenata" (Donanin), "Dragon noir contre Dr No" (Daniel J. White), "Désert cosmique" (Patrick Vasori)

Also, I love awful puns.
"Count of Monte Twisto" (Lonnie Wilfong)
"Soulute"- "Soulfisticated"... "Posoultivly" (Edgar Redmond)
"Johnny Be Bad" (John Cameron)
"Jazzouzi" (Slim Pezin)
"Flutocracy" (Tony King)
"Gongster Gallop" (Leslie Bridgewater)
"Brass-Hopper" (John Matthews)
"Captain Quirk" (Memo Kurt)
"Bachwards", "Back to Bach","Flute for Bread", "Flute Juice", "Flute Salad"...
"Jeux de Moogs" (Jean-Jacques Perrey/Gilbert Sigrist)

- and 'second language'-errors ("strickly for children"!):
Ranging from small and charming;
"Grazy Words", "Life Is a Go-Round", "Does East Bakestan Belong to Itself", "Handy Goes to Pub", "Moriccone for You", "Matchless Sound", "Lift and Bright", "A Free Way of the Life", "Orlean's Dan", "New Vocal's", "Rock and Rowl"

... slightly clunky;
"Society Problem", "Chart's Action", "Waiting the Blow", "The Drug Rock", "A Very March"

to full-blown "what do you even mean by that?";
"Wintering Haft",  "Bark Break", "In Most in Land"
and don't you forget, Life Is a Trumpet!

and some titles just sound fantastic, regardless of meaning:
"Nevrostasi", "Calcolattore elettronico", "Pioggia elettronica", "Protozoi", "Eccesso di velocita'", "Contrapposizioni", "Ritratti settecenteschi", "Spensieratezza", "Nebbie sul lago", "Disintegrazione delle particelle", "Banane noccioline ananas", "Partenza per il mare", "Controspionaggio", "Gocce di rugiada", "Courant ascentionnel", "Vadrouille cocasse", "Chaque fleur a son soleil", "Euphorique evasion", "Feuerwehrgalop", "Schloßplatzvariationen", "Nuplex", "Kaleidoscope", "Euphonious Day", "Blue Sophisticate", "Memory Bank", "Equinox" ... I could go on.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:02:06 PM by Mr »

Lord Thames

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:47:39 AM »
I'm quite fond of Steve Gray's 'Theme from "The Grandfather"' on Cavendish - great track too.

On Montparnasse MP78, Alain Feanch gets our hopes up with 'Dashing Snail', only to let us down again with 'It's Not A Snail'.

FictionOfColours

• @ Rateyourmusic.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »
I agree with Mr on "Sunken Cathedral" - the upside is that the song is beautiful just like the title made me hope it would be.

I also like "Siouxie Likes Me" by Alan Shearer - it makes me wonder if it's a reference to Siouxsie Sioux, somehow. Misspelled, if so. Other favorite titles from him: "Nocturnal March", "Dark Is The Color", "Internal Clock", "Brazilian Music Box".

I also love all the song titles on the Coloursound Fantasyland albums... "Underwater Fantasy", "Fantasy In Blue", etc. So appealing for someone interested in fantasylike music like me, and the only downside was that I couldn't really get into the music itself. Sigh.

The titles on most underwater records, like Eric Vann - Water World: Sunken Galleons, Diving, Gulfstream, Dancing Plankton, Underwater Reflections, Sea World, Bubble Snail...

The album title Computer Blossoms from Joel Vandroogenbroeck. Didn't like the album very much, but still an interesting name.

Most of the titles on Coloursound 'Above And About' (Meadows & Pastures, Fountain Idyll, Everest Glaciers...) and Sven Torstenson's 'Sky Odyssey' (my namesake Fiction Of Colours, New England Cathedral, Flight Of No Return, Wind Glider, Moonlight On The Shores... very evocative).

Library's filled to the brim with interesting/cool song titles, though, so that's definitely not all.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 11:23:18 PM »
Back in my vinyl digging days, I was always on the hunt for LPs that conjured that easy listening go-go hippie vibe of the late 60s/early 70s. Titles with the words Now! or Today! (with the exclamation points) were always sure bets.

Here are a few of those Now and Today style titles from the library vaults:
  • It's Happening Now - Harold Geller (Bosworth 103)
  • It's Now - Keith Mansfield (Conroy 145)
  • Like Now! - Joe Sherman (Sam Fox 1021)
  • Now People - Bill Loose (Emil Ascher 10)
  • Now with Moogs - Toby Arnold (Disc 70)
  • Sounds Of Now - Eric Siday (Berry Music SON 1)
  • Technology Now - Keith Mansfield (KPM 1034)
  • That's Now - Jordan Stevy (Selection 5118)
  • The Now Sound - Buddy Merril (Berry Music 1020)
  • The View From Now! - William Goldstein (Sam Fox 1021)
  • Tomorrow Is Now - Ronnie Hazlehurst (Amphonic 118)
  • What's Now - Eddie Warner (L'Illustration musicale 16)
  • Apocalypse Today - Marc Chantereau & Pierre-Alain Dahan (Telemusic 3077)
  • Today People - Johnny Hawksworth (De Wolfe 3137)
  • Today's Action - Neil Amsterdam (Capitol Hi-Q X-167-168)
  • Today's Girl - Andy Clark (KPM 1231)
  • Today's World - Keith Papworth (De Wolfe 3170)
  • Today's World - Keith Roberts (Conroy 85)
| Stack |

Your Pal Doug

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 11:46:41 AM »
"Don't Shoot the Arranger!" (Toni Campo)

This made me laugh.
I looked it up and found it on youtube, listened to it, and kinda feel like shooting the composer.  No offence to Toni Campo.

milliondollars

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »
"Don't Shoot the Arranger!" (Toni Campo)

This made me laugh.
I looked it up and found it on youtube, listened to it, and kinda feel like shooting the composer.  No offence to Toni Campo.

haha! brilliant...

apmnut

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 12:49:19 AM »
"Don't Shoot the Arranger!" (Toni Campo),

Gads! Totally forgot about that one! And don't you forget "The Man with Two Heads" (Boosey and Hawkes O.2252)!