Author Topic: Sensations' Fix - Fragments of Light & Portable Madness (1973-74)  (Read 746 times)

tezeta

Sensations' Fix: Masterminded by legendary Italian guitarist and synthesist Franco Falsini, they released three albums in 1974, including a special library music promo, assembled from tunes recorded in the USA during the band's stay abroad c. 1973. Their style was uncannily futuristic "space rock," with an incredible sound, despite some less-than-perfect recording environments and simple Teac 4-track recorder used to make these records.

These are their first two "studio" albums. The first, Fragments of Light, was recorded during the band's stay in the USA c. 1973. It contains two tracks with Falsini on vocals, both with a fine, angst-ridden mood about them: "Space Energy Age" and "Do You Love Me?." Falsini's EMS Synthi AKS really takes a lead role on many tracks here; his bold use of it is part of what makes Sensations' Fix such a trailblazing group. A dark and hazy cosmic trip from start to finish, my favorite track is maybe the last, "Telepathic Children."

As amazing as Fragments of Light is, what followed is widely acknowledged as their masterpiece: Portable Madness, recorded back in Italy in 1974. To me, clearly one of the greatest, most visionary progressive rock showcases ever made. Doing away with vocals entirely, it's basically two side-long suites of music, with an incredibly "heavy" sound for the era. It's not such a surprise, then, that I first learned of the band from a "metalhead" who worked at a record store I frequented! It ups the ante on the previous album with great use of odd/compound time signatures, and further exploration with the synthesizer in the group setting. Special plaudits to the rhythm section of Keith Edwards and Richard Ursillo, who must have been at the top of their game here, sounding utterly tight throughout. Trying to choose a favorite track feels wrong, because it really is an album-length journey, but I'm always blown away by "Underwater" and "Leave My Chemistry Alone."

These were reissued on CD as part of the "Progressive Italia Gli Anni '70" series, which is the source of the rips. I hope you'll all find them enjoyable, and perhaps leave some thoughts!

'Til next time, your man in space...
tezeta

mega.nz/folder/QagRGTxR#JRimOto4ozY0hEv8_JswnQ

mega.nz/folder/9O4jXARZ#QQ6jblbH0sjz9GpGDwjL-g

danthemusiclover

• DMG
    • Eternas Ondas Musicales
Re: Sensations' Fix - Fragments of Light & Portable Madness (1973-74)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 02:39:31 AM »
Great! Thanks Tezeta
LMT my safe place.

Fuzi

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 04:03:59 AM »
Looking forward to checking this out!
thanks tezeta
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

dreadinny

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 05:02:58 AM »
This looks good

JimmyD

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 10:22:11 PM »
 Thanks tezeta! Listening to Fragments of Light now. Very prog indeed. A good sound!